Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Taken for a Ride

How is this even possible?

Had a feeling my car would be taken for a ride while getting transmission work done (more on that later). I dropped the car off before the shop opened. I took a picture of the instrument panel for the odometer and 'miles to service' reading. Also got a piece of the fuel gage in the picture.

Odometer read 68634 miles
Miles to service indicated 3300 miles
Fuel looked to be at 3/4 full, approximately.

Car was picked up a week later,

Odometer read 68668 miles
Miles to service indicated 2200 miles
The low fuel level warning went off before we left the shop parking lot.

How did they burn over 1/2 tank of gas and 1100 miles worth of service life in 34 miles?? How is that possible.

The car was dropped off at an indy repair shop who then gave it to a transmission re-manufacture for warranty work.

I am in the Atlanta area and will name the repair facilities when given the ok by bimmerfeast.
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2016, 01:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645CI
Hey, the miles to service is condition based so take that with a pinch of salt, however, they must of been enjoying those 34 miles that they did to get through that much petrol...
Old 05-11-2016, 05:01 AM

Thanks for input

Thanks,
Do you believe the car is actually capable of consuming that much fuel in that distance?
If I had to guess, I would say 8 gallons were burned in 34 miles.
4.25 mpg.. The tires don't seem to be smoked..
Old 05-11-2016, 05:42 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2014 328xi Gran Turismo
How far is the indy shop from the transmission shop? It's pretty normal for any service department to put 3-10 miles on a car just for a diagnostic drive and a post repair drive.

Maybe it was idling for a certain amount of time?

I'd just ask 'em.

~M~
Old 05-11-2016, 06:29 AM

Distance

The indy shop claims the car was towed from their facility to the re-manufacturer and back.
I not really concerned with the 34 miles.

Guess I will share a bit more of the story.
I was originally quoted a price of $5200 for a transmission replacement, new transmission to
come with a 3 year 100k warranty. I paid for the job on 30 March 2016, immediately after payment, I was told that 'they changed the warranty its now only 36k miles'.

The indy shop goes on to say that the new transmission has a harsh shift when going from 3rd to 4th. Suggest that I drive it for a time and bring it back if it doesn't improve.

On about 12 April, I drop the car off to get repaired. At this point the symptom changes between a harsh shift then flair when shifting between 3rd and 4th. I am notified on 13 April that the car is ready and go to pick up same. When I arrive, I am told that the re-manufacturer states that the shift pattern is normal, even new cars will do it at times. The indy shop suggests I drive the car a couple of thousand miles and see what happens. At that point I become annoyed and my ride has already left so I end up taking the car. I inform the indy shop that I will be back at my convienence, I expect the car to be fixed. I also inform the indy shop that my contract is with him, my car is not to be repaired at the re-manufacturer. At the scheduled drop-off I find the shop is closed, I later find out that the shop owner went on vacation.

When I finally get in touch with the indy shop, the car is dropped of on May 3rd, I pick the car up on May 10th. The 3 to 4 shift seem to be gone but a symbol of a gear appears in the middle of the dash, there is now an intermittent harsh downshift when coming to a stop..
Old 05-11-2016, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Sounds like your fluid level needs to be topped off properly, & diagnostics need to be run with the proper BMW Standard tools. While fluid level will not throw a code, it sounds there could be some other problem?
Old 05-11-2016, 12:36 PM

fluid

That may be the case. The work was supposed to be done by TBR (transmission by Ron) in Atlanta. They are supposed to be a zf distributor.

They have been dragging this transmission replacement out since March 30,. I obviously won't do business with them again.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:52 PM

If you payed by credit card, maybe you could reverse the charges?
Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 AM

maybe

Its now been 43 days (or so). I will call the credit union..
Old 05-13-2016, 03:16 PM

There are several members in Atlanta that might have the tools, to see what is going on in the tranny? If you are willing to drive to Augusta, I will be more than happy to help you with your problem. Maybe we can run some test, & check the fluid level. I am suspicious that maybe that your Mechatronic Adapter might not have been changed? It is the seal between your valve body & the gearbox. If fluid is leaking out around the seal, it would cause some of the symptoms that you are having. I would hope that a experienced mechanic would know how critical the seal is, & know to replace it?

My time is free!
Old 05-15-2016, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645 CI
Herbp you have alway been very helpful
Old 05-15-2016, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
There are several members in Atlanta that might have the tools, to see what is going on in the tranny? If you are willing to drive to Augusta, I will be more than happy to help you with your problem. Maybe we can run some test, & check the fluid level. I am suspicious that maybe that your Mechatronic Adapter might not have been changed? It is the seal between your valve body & the gearbox. If fluid is leaking out around the seal, it would cause some of the symptoms that you are having. I would hope that a experienced mechanic would know how critical the seal is, & know to replace it?

My time is free!

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 05-15-2016, 06:32 PM

That looks like fun Gary!
Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: '04 645csi
The ZF6 tranny is a piece of crap. Unfortunately it is also used in Mercedes, Audi, and Jaguar cars. I had mine replaced on my 645ci about 3 months ago, $5gs, no problems since. Have put approximately 2,000 miles on since replacement at 99000 miles. Fortunately my mechatronic unit was ok or it could have been more of a nightmare. The mechatronics have to be matched, reprogrammed, or replaced when a new (remanufactured transmission is installed. I was fortunate to have a pretty good indy do the job in Green Bay, WI. Once these ZFs start to go, it's only a matter of time before they need to be replaced. Should be part of the BMW service plan when the car is built I guess. There are literally hundreds of complaints about this tranny all over this site. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2016, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymac View Post
The ZF6 tranny is a piece of crap. Unfortunately it is also used in Mercedes, Audi, and Jaguar cars. I had mine replaced on my 645ci about 3 months ago, $5gs, no problems since. Have put approximately 2,000 miles on since replacement at 99000 miles. Fortunately my mechatronic unit was ok or it could have been more of a nightmare. The mechatronics have to be matched, reprogrammed, or replaced when a new (remanufactured transmission is installed. I was fortunate to have a pretty good indy do the job in Green Bay, WI. Once these ZFs start to go, it's only a matter of time before they need to be replaced. Should be part of the BMW service plan when the car is built I guess. There are literally hundreds of complaints about this tranny all over this site. Good luck!
"it is also used in Mercedes, Audi, and Jaguar" Obviously all crap cars too.

Lets see, you have a 12 year old HIGH PERFORMANCE car from the 1st year of production, and you are complaining that the trans only lasted 100k miles. Really?

Did you buy it new? Do you know the history on the car? Do you know how it was driven before you bought it? That could have something to do with it...

FYI, there are lots of cars that are going strong with 150k + miles here too.

Ever see any Ferrari with 100K miles on it with any transmission?

I had an Ford Explorer that I bought new and the trans lasted 88k miles. It happens.

Want reliability? Buy a Camry or Subaru.

Sorry, if you want to drive an older performance car, be prepared to pay the price. There is a reason that resale on these cars is so low.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 05-16-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:

I disagree with your opinion on the ZF tranny. It is a rock solid transmission with miner problems in the Mechatronic's valve body. People do not know how to work on them, & diagnose them as a fatality! Preventive maintenance is key on all makes of cars. Since this is a high performance German car, repairs are very costly. If you let the transmission fluid get oxidized to to a lack of PM, it will simply eat the seals in the valve body. BMW will burn you a new one, & usually only change the complete tranny at 8k. Since ZF is widely used in the auto industry, only people with high dollar repair bills complain the loudest. If you were to inspect the gearbox on a overhaul, I doubt you would see any damage? Our cars are expensive to maintain, & most people do not take that into consideration when they purchase the vehicle!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I must disagree with the ZF 6HP26 being a bad transmission.

While the 6HP26 is known to have common issues like a warped oil pan, leaking Mechatronics sleeve, etc., it still is a good transmission for this car given that you follow ZF's service interval of changing the Mechatronics sleeve, oil pan, and fluid every 50K-75K miles or 8 years at the latest.

I'm currently at 102K miles on my car and preventative maintenance is key to avoiding costly repairs on these cars. Yes, the maintenance isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than a repair. My transmission still shifts smoothly with confidence for it's mileage and I do drive my car spiritedly, but I also adhere to strict maintenance standards that keep the engine and drivetrain in good health. Yes, there are many complaints about this transmission, but you also don't see how many transmissions there are that are working just fine. Just remember that BMW replaces, not repair the transmissions.

Last edited by 07 E63650i; 05-16-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: '04 645csi
Ok, guys, I got it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search