Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 04 7series
Ring Break

Hi Guys, I have run a Dis and I'm being informed that I have a Ring Break between my Antenna and my Voice contol System. Can anyone tell me were to locate these modules on a 004 7 series PLEASE. 2wks without all my functions THANKS
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750I
The voice control unit is above the navigation unit in the left side compartment in the trunk.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Hi tried that and no joy. My pal went into Progman and opened various menus like Ask,Ant,Svs,Tel,Nav, and these are the ones that have stopped working,which I think is the problem. When I went back into Progman it was asking for a 7 digit DSC code to update software ! Dont suppose you no anything about Progman if not I'll start a new thread. Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
JIM UK, DO NOT USE PROGMAN! its for coding and flashing modules, you can easily brick modules if you dont know what your doing! You will lose all drive functions if there is a faulty module in the fibre bus system. its a loop in loop out system, one faulty module will stop the whole system working.

You should be using DIS or INPA to diagnose faults. The only module between the antenna module and the voice control module is the Logic7 amplifier.

Pull the left hand side boot trim out, remove the amp and loop the fibre connector out, you should have your idrive back with the exception of the center, rear door and subwoofer speakers.

Stuart
Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 PM
what amg?

Mein Auto: 07 B7,91 735i , 91e30sold
^ very well said
Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 AM

Stuart,
Thanks for your advice. I will leave well alone got enough problems. I will try as you suggest at the first opportunity.

Jim
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 AM
The Silverback

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Where did you get DIS?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM

You can either download it or buy it on eBay.

You need to run it in a virtual machine and have INPA installed.

Personally it's a lot of messing about, it's much quicker and easier to use INPA to read faults in a matter of seconds. I'm pretty sure 95% of things that can be done in DIS are available in INPA.

That's just my opinion, considering its unofficially free and you can mod a $10 VAG-COM lead to work with it is even better!

Stuart
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIm UK View Post
Stuart,
Thanks for your advice. I will leave well alone got enough problems. I will try as you suggest at the first opportunity.

Jim
Good job, you will need either another one of the rings that's in the glovebox or unclip the fibres from the connector and tape them together on a pen or something. Easy!

It's just a pain getting the boot trims out!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 AM

Hi Stuart

Tried the loop I bought from a dealer as you suggested and run the Dis but still no joy, getting very frustrated by this. Took it to an Independant BMW garage and they run the Dis (again) even though I told them what the fault was. They informed me that they would have to wait for a BMW Tech to come in to there workshop(he comes in once a month) and call me if I wished. Could it be a fault in the Progman? the functions that dont work are highlighted in red in the menu and by opening them has this created a fault in the system? I havent been into Progman since you advised not to. I noticed it the last time I was in it.

Jim
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM

Hi,

I don't know much about progman, as far as I'm aware it just program's and codes new modules or edits key memory setting and features etc...

It's likely you have tried accidentally programming a module and its stuck in 'programming mode' this happened to my light module when I was coding. It was unrecoverable as it couldn't boot up to communicate on the CAN BUS.

So looping the amp has not fixed the issue? Try the SVS or antenna module next

Stuart