Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-01-2013, 05:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottuna View Post
i havent purchased the 14mm allen key as yet. Im planning on taking it to my mechanic soon once he`s back from the states racing top fuellers and im sure he has one

Im getting everything i need so i can drop it off with the car. He suggested we flush all the oil in the transmision including lines and cooler as he doesnt like the idea of just draining it and topping up - something out doing half a job.He is fussy which is good I know this will use about 18ltrs of oil.
Sounds like it will be more than $50 USD lol
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Storm Motorwerks Products

2003 X5 4.6iS | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Sport
2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Transmission oil really needs changing?

Ok I just hid 100K Miles a week or so ago, and the car must have noticed, since it needed everything done. I did a cooling overhaul and oil filter gasket replace, but the dealer also recommended changing the trans fluid and diff fluids, like on this forum.

I went underneath to look at the trans case though, and there's a nice sticker under there that says something to the effect of "DO NOT OPEN THIS, DUMMY! Transmission oil shouldn't be changed for life!" So, now I'm quite puzzled. Is this just an American thing? Do I really need to change the oil out?

Bear with me if this is a dumb question, I'm just getting used to the DIY stuff.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
BMW says the fluid is "lifetime"] but we all know that's not true
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Storm Motorwerks Products

2003 X5 4.6iS | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Sport
2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 PM

Right, so what's a good recommended interval, 100K? Is it worth going through and truly flushing, or is draining and doing a filter replace enough?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by avoisin View Post
Right, so what's a good recommended interval, 100K? Is it worth going through and truly flushing, or is draining and doing a filter replace enough?
I am sure you will get many different opinions. Personally, I think it depends on your driving environment (city vs highway). More steady state driving, longer distances - change after more miles. I think starting and stopping creates more heat and stress to the fluids.

I changed diffs and transfer case around 70k, trans at 100k. Looked right for me on my X3.

Flushing is the best for the trans. I just did a drain, wipe pan and change filter.

My garage: 2013 BMW 550xi GT, 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 2007 BMW X3, 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Why use BMW transfer case oil?

Hello all,
I'm new to this site and was reading your responses on the transfer case oil and it's replacement. This is my second BMW my first being a Bavaria, way back in the 80's.
It is however my first X3 and I have it for about a year now. It is a 2004 model and i would like to change all the fluids, at 119K Km, I think it is necessary. Today I saw a youtube video done using a Bently service manual for the X3 and there was another one right after showing the components and a DIY service on a transfer case. The components in there were gears, bearings and a chain with the connecting shafts. i saw nothing that could enforce why you must use BMW type oils. The only requirement which I see would make sense is the 75W type oil which is needed for that type of gears and hardware. Could someone please tell me why one should use these special BMW oils? I know with the transmission it is a different story....DEXTRON 6 and that only, according to the manual.

Last edited by SASX3; 12-08-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASX3 View Post
....... The components in there were gears, bearings and a chain with the connecting shafts. i saw nothing that could enforce why you must use BMW type oils. .......
You are overlooking the clutch packs.

See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=33
Old 12-09-2015, 08:57 AM

Clutches in there?

I certainly am not aware of the clutches. That is what is under the main cylindrical cup that has the drive shaft passing throught the centre? If there are clutches there as you mentioned then yes, I have no further business questioning BMW and their TF0870 fluid.

Thanks for that response Supercourse!

I have noticed the following when driving at slow speeds and from the dialogues it suggest that the TC may be the problem. Here is my situation, at slow speeds, like in traffic on a hill or on level ground I do hear a "clank" type of sound just before the up shift or downshift. There is a little jerk associated with the sound. I suspect it may be because of the transfer case or the drive shafts may have some play on the joint. The car runs smoothly and accelerates well so I know it may not be a transmission issue. Please advise on what you might suspect it to be.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
Yes, there are clutch packs in there. The X drive system uses clutches.

Even without clutch packs, many gear boxes require a "secret sauce" of friction modifiers, including GM and Ford. Modern Ford diesels even require FoMoCo filters to ensure proper starting; aftermarket filters alter oil pressure too much and lead to prolonged starting, believe it or not.

The BMW fluid is pricey, but at least you only need to buy one quart every 30k miles; far cheaper than a single oil change, let alone the 6 performed in the same amount of time.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:51 AM

Thanks Dukedkt 442. Do you feel that the problem i may be having in the other part of my blog is related to the TC?
Old 12-11-2015, 03:38 PM

X-case fluid is definitely over due for fluid change, so start there. If that doesn't solve your problem, check the shaft joints.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:45 AM

Will do so, hopefully this week. I'll post on this when completed. Thanks Again.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 E83 3.0d M Sport M
If you don't want to buy the OEM stuff. You can buy exactly the same oil from the company directly.

For those wanting to change the oil at the same time.

Ravenol Transfer Fluid TF- 0870

just search google or ebay for it. Much cheaper than the BMW packaged oil.

Check the ravenol website if you need.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to cncmastr
Mein Auto: E46, E30, E53 and E39
While on topic for transfer case fluid, I just finished uploading a new video to showcase how to drain and flush the transfercase (transfer case) for a 2005 E53 X5. At the end, I even show how to use GT1 / DIS to perform the adaptions reset.

DIY Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BluePurpleRedGuides
Old 10-23-2016, 06:24 PM

As the Land Rover actuator gear has been suggested to replace ours when it fails, because apparently the actuator is the same, I'm wondering if it is just the actuator that is the same or the entire transfer case? The LR fluid capacity seems to be a little higher, but the fluid is only $20/quart from the dealer compared to our $65. Anyone ever look into the LR fluid?
Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: x3 e83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaspaarx View Post
If you don't want to buy the OEM stuff. You can buy exactly the same oil from the company directly.

For those wanting to change the oil at the same time.

Ravenol Transfer Fluid TF- 0870

just search google or ebay for it. Much cheaper than the BMW packaged oil.

Check the ravenol website if you need.

i got a bottle of the Ravenol TF-0870 from Amazon for I think $30 and put it in my transfer case about 5K ago. I wasn't having any problems, no codes, but the original had been in there for 9 years/70K, so it was a preventative measure. So far, no issues at all. Use at your own risk.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:26 AM

I haven't fact checked to see if the Ravenol is the exact same as BMW. For only a 30k difference every year or two (at my fluid change interval), I'm content with the peace of mind.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search