Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
I'm sure ard's cousin in Nigeria would love to hook up with you to do some business bxmxwx.

Jay
Don't worry, in exhange for their great offer I will give them a perfectly working bridge nearby.

Oh just spell it out for me guys, please. I am having a **** day at work and now you are saying I am missing a ton of sarcasm. Just great.

But, on the other hand, at least I have something to smile about now - thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan

At least you got some good you-tubing out of the deal.

Jay
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
+1

My Blizzaks are directional.
++1 My Pirelli Winters are directional

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM
nothing today

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Actually this is a well known problem with the X5, but BMW has successfully covered it up. It is regularly discussed here on the forum, but as soon as the thread pops up it is deleted.

It is unusual that this has stayed up so long....

In snow country it is common to seen X5s clustered at the bottom of steep hills while other traffic passes them by...indeed, quite a few drivers have been cited for backing the wrong way up hills as well.

BMW should be embarassed.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Actually this is a well known problem with the X5, but BMW has successfully covered it up. It is regularly discussed here on the forum, but as soon as the thread pops up it is deleted.

It is unusual that this has stayed up so long....

In snow country it is common to seen X5s clustered at the bottom of steep hills while other traffic passes them by...indeed, quite a few drivers have been cited for backing the wrong way up hills as well.

BMW should be embarassed.
Someone is deleting the negative posts? Really? If that is the case, I am walking away from being part of the Admins around here.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
nothing today

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
Emission,

No, I assumed that was ard's humor...
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5 View Post
Emission,

No, I assumed that was ard's humor...
Whew! He had me!

- Mike

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
Whew! He had me!

- Mike
You not so much as some other people here ...
Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Stoubal - that's what i was wondering when I mentioned going backwards up the hill in a rear-wheel drive vehicle is sorta like going forward in front wheel drive - if AWD not working your X5 is rear wheel only. I know - this is way out there. I don't know if AWD could fail that way.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

What you are describing sounds all wrong, but it is possible that BMW's electronically based AWD is configured to act differently in forward vs. reverse. Odd, but possible.

- Mike

Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Sorry but my entire post was tongue in cheek. I mean the part about finding X5s clustered at the bottom of hills was the dead give away/... I thought.

All in good fun!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Sorry but my entire post was tongue in cheek. I mean the part about finding X5s clustered at the bottom of hills was the dead give away/... I thought.

All in good fun!
That's what happens when I only read a couple posts!

Plus, it's about 80F here today... As if I know anything about snow performance.

- Mike

Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 (e70)
Well reverse is a lower gear ratio, but I am surprised you can't get up the hill. do you get farther if you take a running start?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:

All in good fun!
I guess we should have given it the same credence as everything else on this forum: 0.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: Jgc
Sounds like a transfer case issue where the x5 is acting like a RWD with no power being transferred to the front axel. Not an expert opinion, just a speculation.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
OP, any update?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
First of all, having just flamed a noob on another thread who asked some really stupid questions (answers to all of which were in the manual), I would like to start by CONGRATULATING the OP for doing his research first and asking an intelligent question (with intelligent follow ups). I can be the second most sarcastic guy here (cough, cough, ard), but I am sincere when I say WELL DONE.

My thoughts on the question.

First, unlike a "serious" SUV, the X5 has neither Torsen diffs nor locking diffs. I seem to remember that some Subies have Torsens, so that could explain part of the difference.

Second, what the OP is experiencing on his first run up the hill (with DSC turned on) is the ECM sensing spinning wheels, applying brakes, and ultimately dialing back the power. There simply isn't enough traction between the contact patches of his tires and the surface to get a "grip".

The X5 gives you 3 options: (1.) DSC on, (2.) DSC off but DTC on, and (3.) both DSC and DTC off. In soft sand and deep snow, you are almost always better off in mode #2 (DTC on), and in some cases (rocking yourself out of some nasty deep sh*t) you may want to be in mode 3. So if the driveway was covered in SNOW, you want to select mode 2 or mode 3. But neither of those modes do you any good on ICE, and the OP states the driveway was covered with BOTH snow and ice. For traction on ice, you need a locking diff, a Torsen diff, studded tires, chains, sand, kitty litter, or winter tires with an ice-friendly tread compound (hydrophilic).

Third, the OP's "winter" tires may be M&S tires, designed primarily for traction in soft snow (i.e. lots of sipes). They may not have the same compound as a tire designed too perform well on ice (like various Pirelli and Michelin tires).

So why does the X5 go up fine in reverse? Part of it may have to do with the lower gear ratio. But I suspect that weight distribution may also be a factor. And it is also possible that his front tires are worn on the outsides from cornering, and his contact patches are more uniform on the rear axle.

(BTW Did you try out HDC coming back down the driveway? IMHO HDC is one of the best features of xDrive, and most owners are blissfully unaware of it).

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 02-25-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

I am learning stuff here:

"xDrive is the permanent all-wheel drive system from BMW: under normal circumstances, it distributes driver power between the front and rear axles in a 40:60 ratio, and changes this figure variably when the road surface or overall driving conditions change.
Acting virtually instantaneously and a manner so subtle as to be go virtually unnoticed by the vehicle's occupants, xDrive can direct up to 100% of drive forces to one axle. Enabling the driver to start up effortlessly even on slippery surfaces or steep hills, xDrive routes all power to the axles with the greatest traction. When parking, the system reacts to the need for high manoeuvrability at low speed by opening the clutch completely so the powertrain functions optimally. At the first sign of understeering, drive power to the front axle is reduced. If oversteering is detected, xDrive directs more power to the front axle. Thanks to this dynamic redistribution of power, vehicle stability returns to normal even before the driver notices anything amiss."

It appears that the system is able to split torque fore and aft up to 100 percent, but if one wheel slips on the axle it applies the brake to send power across... it does not lock the axle.

- Mike

Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
which is why BMW xdrive is good for only light inclement weather and on-road dry driving performance. applying the brakes is a terrible way of providing traction in real bad inclement weather. Not saying BMW advertises the X5 as an offroad mobile....Oh wait, wheres the picture of the X6 towing a snow plow up a steep hill........

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Not sure about the OP's problem, but prior to the X5, we had 3 Subarus, and I will definitely say that IMO Subaru AWD is superior to X drive when the conditions get extreme. I had a Subaru out back as my winter beater when I had the M3, and with winter tires, it was simply unstoppable. With Blizzaks, not even glare ice would stop the thing up steep grades.

My wife switched from a Subaru legacy GT to a mini countryman all4 S and defintely misses the Subaru AWD.

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Pretty much all modern AWD systems involve a mechanical unit that distributes torque b/w front and rear axles (torsen, multi-clutch, wet clutch, whatever), while distribution of torque b/w wheels on one axle is achieved via electronically controlled braking, with rare exceptions where partially or fully lockable differentials are used. All these statements of "subaru is better than bmw", "I like audi better" are mostly derivatives of a) the way system is tuned vs. driver expectations and skills, b) weight distribution, and c) tires.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Seems there is a "better" AWD system. Check out this graphic:

https://sites.google.com/site/awdand4wd/

Of course, a good set of dedicated snow tires will do wonders.

- Mike

Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
I have been on dedicated winter rubber (brand new Pirelli Scorpion Winter) on the X5M for about a month now and so far haven't come across any conditions I can't easily handle - including unpaved roads, glare ice and deep, unplowed snow ~8-10"

..and I'm always traveling forwards, not in reverse

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 02-26-2013, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
^ 8-10 is probably the limit of the X5 LOL! Plus I believe the X5M has a setup similar to the Acura SH (active torque vectoring)

I still do believe when it comes to Premium AWD offerings (this is solely showcasing the capability of the system no winter tires here but new AS tires)

In order of capability:

LR
Toyexus
Acura SH only vs BMW (the M version of xdrive) vs Mercedes (off-road pack only) vs Quattro (not the system in the Q7) (tie)

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!

Last edited by NoI4plz; 02-26-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post

I still do believe when it comes to Premium AWD offerings (this is solely showcasing the capability of the system no winter tires here but new AS tires)

In order of capability:

LR
Toyexus
Acura SH only vs BMW (the M version of xdrive) vs Mercedes (off-road pack only) vs Quattro (tie)
I have to disagree with LR being that good.
A year ago during rare snow in Seattle, a guy on LR3 (2005ish) tried to get home on a snowy hill - kept sliding back. Ended up parking downhill and walking home.
Just out of curiosity (and deep inside expecting to fail) I attempted same hill with my 35d on Dueler RFTs (at that time new). Without turnign off DSC (like is recommended in this situation) I was able to get uphill without a problem.

The LR3 had large aftermarked wheels with low profile tires, so that probably contributed to his failure, but if the system is that good, it sure gotta beat "crappy" xDrive on runflats!