Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 12-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Potholes!

Just got back to the DC area from a brief trip to NYC for the holiday.. Need to have 2 tires replaced.. Front right has a bubble and rear left has a slow leak.. After replacing both that would make 4 tires in total that I have had to have replace since I purchased the car in September..

Picking up the wheel and tire insurance with my lease was some of the best money I ever spent.. Sheesh..
Old 12-27-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
Just got back to the DC area from a brief trip to NYC for the holiday.. Need to have 2 tires replaced.. Front right has a bubble and rear left has a slow leak.. After replacing both that would make 4 tires in total that I have had to have replace since I purchased the car in September..

Picking up the wheel and tire insurance with my lease was some of the best money I ever spent.. Sheesh..

That is absolutely insane to go through 4 tires of this caliber in less than 4 months. Lot of vehicles come with 20" tire size these days and never heard of so many defects or damage.
I'm thinking less and less of those Dunlops. And can't a small leak be repaired as with a non RF tire? why does it have to be replaced?

Last edited by mrjoed2; 12-27-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
That is absolutely insane to go through 4 tires of this caliber in less than 4 months. Lot of vehicles come with 20" tire size these days and never heard of so many defects or damage.
I'm thinking less and less of those Dunlops. And can't a small leak be repaired as with a non RF tire? why does it have to be replaced?
I believe they can be.. But from my past experiences the manufacture does not recommend it.. They recommend replacing them...

I keep my tires inflating for 'spirited' driving.. And I spend a lot of time in the left lane and pot holes tend to come out of no where.. But at the same time.. Bubbles and flats should be this common place.. I agree..
Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650 x-drive m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Dunlops are some of the softest tires on the market. One would think that this would be an advantage but they offer much less resistance to potholes!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0
Just got mine back from the stealership, two front tires (Dunlops) replaced. Good thing I bought the wheel and tire insurance from them...
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Wow, funny you should post this... just got this beaut about 30 mins ago. I currently replaced 9 tires (bubbles and blowouts) and two whees (bent)

Looky what the West Side Highway got me for Christmas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356716727944.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	354949

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356716765372.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	354950

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Wow... If I ever move to a real city, I guess I'll need to get the insurance coverage - if I still can at that point.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Wow, funny you should post this... just got this beaut about 30 mins ago. I currently replaced 9 tires (bubbles and blowouts) and two whees (bent)

Attachment 354949

Attachment 354950

Jesus!! The west side highway and the GW Bridge were definitely unkind to me... Especially the left lane with the sewage drains... 9 tires already?.. Man..

I love my hometown but they have got to do something about the streets.. It's ridiculous.. Especially with the amount of tickets and taxes people pay in the city...

Hey It I'm still waiting on some pics of your ride when it's cleaned up... Those black wheels are sinister!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650 x-drive m-sport
Quote:

Attachment 354949

Attachment 354950

................and I was just about to wish you a HAPPY New Year! hockeyman, you need to move to the EAST side!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Wow... If I ever move to a real city, I guess I'll need to get the insurance coverage - if I still can at that point.
We're safe ....... it's a BattaBoom Right Coast sorta thing .
Imola Red
M-Sport
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
20” 373 Wheels
Nitto 555ZR-Extreme
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Jesus!! The west side highway and the GW Bridge were definitely unkind to me... Especially the left lane with the sewage drains... 9 tires already?.. Man..

I love my hometown but they have got to do something about the streets.. It's ridiculous.. Especially with the amount of tickets and taxes people pay in the city...

Hey It I'm still waiting on some pics of your ride when it's cleaned up... Those black wheels are sinister!

Thank goodness I got the wheel and tire insurance. Now I have to wait till Wednesday for my powder coater to take me in. It looks like a hobo with mismatched shoes lol.

I had just gotten a fresh wash and was all ready to snap some pics. However, since I'm getting my grille and side markers/door handles done in gloss black at the same time my wheel gets redone, I'll wait a few more days for the finished product

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie99 View Post
................and I was just about to wish you a HAPPY New Year! hockeyman, you need to move to the EAST side!
The FDR is just as bad lol. Funny thing is, and I am not even exaggerating a little... seconds before impact, I was saying to myself that I was sure that there was a pothole coming up somewhere in this lane that I hit with my wife's X6 previously

This injury hurts my sole. It's like breaking an ankle. I was able to limp about 30 miles going 45 MPH to my service center with the run flat. But here is something to think about... If I didn't have run flats, would I even need to? Hmmm

Last edited by Itinj6; 12-28-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
9 tires...jeez Does your dealership tend to keep your tires in stock? When I needed one replaced I had to call about 3 dealers in LA to find a pirelli pzero in my size

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG13 View Post
9 tires...jeez Does your dealership tend to keep your tires in stock? When I needed one replaced I had to call about 3 dealers in LA to find a pirelli pzero in my size
If they don't have them at the service center they will have them in the parts warehouse which is about 30 minutes away. I was surprised they had the wheel in stock though. First time I bent the wheel, they had to order it.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
I was about to post a warning to this effect regarding D.C. Streets when I came across this thread. In a word, they SUCK! I was driving on 14th and 16th Streets on Friday and I could not believe my eyes regarding the terrible conditions on those streets in the downtown areas...not just pot holes, but actual dredges! No sign warnings, but plenty of road construction. Fortunately when I came across these conditions it was daytime. No way would I want to drive these streets at night. It's a damn shame.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 12-30-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
I was about to post a warning to this effect regarding D.C. Streets when I came across this thread. In a word, they SUCK! I was driving on 14th and 16th Streets on Friday and I could not believe my eyes regarding the terrible conditions on those streets in the downtown areas...not just pot holes, but actual dredges! No sign warnings, but plenty of road construction. Fortunately when I came across these conditions it was daytime. No way would I want to drive these streets at night. It's a damn shame.
Some of these hits are very jarring too. I remember one that had me rattled for a few minutes after impact. Makes you wonder what other damage it's doing to the car other than the obvious (wheel dent, tire bubbles). For one, I'm noticing more interior panels rattling. My headliner on the passenger side is a little loose and rattles against the roof in the smallest road imperfections. Just look at the size of that dent in the wheel I posted. The service guys were awe stricken when I brought it in.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 AM

Hey Itin,
How do you like your Wife's X6?... I want to get one for my Fiancé but she hates em. She calls them moon rovers on Steroids... lol.. But I like them a lot.. Does you wife have the 3.5 or the 5.0?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Hey Les,
The DC streets are bad but the streets in NY?.. They are horrendous.... As Itin mention the impact can be jarring.. The FDR to be a major artery in manhattan is an abomination... They really need to do something about that highway...

One thing I've noticed about the Sixer is that in comfort it masked a lot of bumps except for the larger ones.. It handles most bumps giving one confidence that the car will be okay when it encounters some of the larger ones only for the impact to rattle you to the core... Everytime I hit a pothole I cringe...
Old 12-30-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Hey Itin,
How do you like your Wife's X6?... I want to get one for my Fiancé but she hates em. She calls them moon rovers on Steroids... lol.. But I like them a lot.. Does you wife have the 3.5 or the 5.0?
For an SUV (SAV), its damn awesome... And I'm not even an SUV kind of guy. Plenty of power and torque and handles like a dream for what it is. She has the 50i. It came with performance tires so for it to be perfect in the snow, it needs winter tires but not all that bad in its current state. I just wouldn't recommend diving through snow dunes with the performance tires. Got stuck a few times in past years. I have to admit though, the look of it takes some getting used to but now, I absolutely adore it and can't see myself (us, her) in any other SUV. Funny, when she was looking at the brochures for it back in 2009, we were only dating and I almost talked her out of it. I thought it was disgusting at first too. Now, highly recommended!

It's just an awesome compliment to the 650.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
For an SUV (SAV), its damn awesome... And I'm not even an SUV kind of guy. Plenty of power and torque and handles like a dream for what it is. She has the 50i. It came with performance tires so for it to be perfect in the snow, it needs winter tires but not all that bad in its current state. I just wouldn't recommend diving through snow dunes with the performance tires. Got stuck a few times in past years. I have to admit though, the look of it takes some getting used to but now, I absolutely adore it and can't see myself (us, her) in any other SUV. Funny, when she was looking at the brochures for it back in 2009, we were only dating and I almost talked her out of it. I thought it was disgusting at first too. Now, highly recommended!

It's just an awesome compliment to the 650.

Totally agree that it's a nice compliment to the 6... Just have to get her to agree now... And figure out if I want to get the current model or wait for the next generation model.. From the spy shots the new X5 looks pretty damn good so I expect more of the same from the X6..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356881421.571233.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	355205  
Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I considered the X6 when SUV shopping, but I couldn't justify the loss of cargo room when compared to the X5, so I went that route instead. I will have non-RFTs/lighter wheels for the X5 installed next week and I already have two sets of non-RFTs/lighter wheels waiting for the 650's arrival.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Hey Les,
The DC streets are bad but the streets in NY?.. They are horrendous.... As Itin mention the impact can be jarring.. The FDR to be a major artery in manhattan is an abomination... They really need to do something about that highway...

One thing I've noticed about the Sixer is that in comfort it masked a lot of bumps except for the larger ones.. It handles most bumps giving one confidence that the car will be okay when it encounters some of the larger ones only for the impact to rattle you to the core... Everytime I hit a pothole I cringe...
I take the train a lot to NYC for business and, from what I've seen, I wouldn't drive my car on those streets on a bet. I can't speak for other East Coast cities, but the streets in NYC and DC make purchasing the insurance for wheels and tires almost a no-brainer.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 12-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Totally agree that it's a nice compliment to the 6... Just have to get her to agree now... And figure out if I want to get the current model or wait for the next generation model.. From the spy shots the new X5 looks pretty damn good so I expect more of the same from the X6..
I believe the X6 just had an LCI for 2013. Probably won't be another few more years till a new F series chassis is released.

My wife and I both leased our cars at around the same time (FEB '12 and APR '12 respectively) so I'm really looking forward to the F series X6 and LCI F13 when our leases are up in the next 2 years or so.

I heard somewhere that the LCI F12/13 will have the F30 headlights (joining at the grilles)

Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I take the train a lot to NYC for business and, from what I've seen, I wouldn't drive my car on those streets on a bet. I can't speak for other East Coast cities, but the streets in NYC and DC make purchasing the insurance for wheels and tires almost a no-brainer.
Yep, extremely glad I purchased the wheel and tire insurance or I would be in for a lot. Two wheels at ~$850 each and nine tires at ~$500 each. Do the math, yikes!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Hey Itin,
I got after the fourth tire my SA is recommending an alignment.. What do you think?.. Is it worth getting?..
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
The girls and I from my job go into Dc to club, dinner, events once or twice a month and I refuse to drive my BMW. Ill pull my 07 Honda pilot out any day for that trip and we can get seven in my SUV instead of 4 in my car and I rarely carry backseat passengers in my coupe. Pot holes are horrible in Dc. One day ill update the Honda for a x5 for now I wait the arrival of my new 3 series

I replaced all four wheels and tires when I bought my coupe three years ago due to being bent And Unrepairable. Hence why I try my hardest not to hit potholes now that I have four new wheels and tires.

Last edited by kbeamer; 01-03-2013 at 03:51 PM.