Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Steel View Post
I bought my 2008535xi in Aug 2012. I became fixated on the MPH meter and kept my foot light on the accelerator. Yeah I ran it hard occasionally but that wasted gas.

So now at 49,000 miles I had a walnut blasting session and wow the performance is much better.

So I propose the gas milage I save by driving easy is lost with one $575 walnut blasting session. Leading to the thought process of have fun and drive this magnificent beast hard cuz you ain't saving money driving real easy to improve MPH

Not worrying about MPG I started to use the 6 speed shifter and really enjoy the sound of that high compression engine responding. 7 Grand is the place to be!!!! I hope other new owners don't have to learn the same lesson. Drive it hard.

I never had a car this nice. I haven't come close to its performance limits.

I could go on and on and on and........
The irony is that when they do reliability testing, they don't just use a light foot on the pedal and then tear down the engine to see what happens. They beat the crap out of it

Cars are meant to run at certain RPMs to maximize their efficiency. But that efficiency also goes into operating temperatures and things like how much crankcase ventilation occurs.

One thing I haven't looked into on this car but is common elsewhere is installing a catch-can system to catch alot of the crankcase ventilation gases....basically it catches the oil in such gases before routing the rest into the intake. Should dramatically cut down on carbon build-up, but again I haven't looked into it on these cars.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: E60 with a turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
The irony is that when they do reliability testing, they don't just use a light foot on the pedal and then tear down the engine to see what happens. They beat the crap out of it

Cars are meant to run at certain RPMs to maximize their efficiency. But that efficiency also goes into operating temperatures and things like how much crankcase ventilation occurs.

One thing I haven't looked into on this car but is common elsewhere is installing a catch-can system to catch alot of the crankcase ventilation gases....basically it catches the oil in such gases before routing the rest into the intake. Should dramatically cut down on carbon build-up, but again I haven't looked into it on these cars.
i have try to find user review for the carbon result without and with OCC but i can't find any. it could i'm being dumb.