Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 740i M-Sport
Angry Looking for Automatic Tailgate Retrofit info

Newbie to the forum looking for parts info/cost of retrofitting automatic tailgate for my 2013 740I M-Sport. Angers me that such option doesn't come as standard for these cars...
and I'm getting tired of hearing about it every time my wife takes my car out. Didnt think about it much when I had it in my X6 but I am really begining to miss the feature driving my new 7 without it. Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciate it. Im in So Cal.
Ads by Google
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
I cant help you with the part numbers, but I think it would be too expensive (outside of being reasonable) to get that retrofitted.

If it makes you feel any better, I have the power trunk, but no M Sport Package. In my opinion I wish I would have gotten the M Sport over the trunk. Want to swap leases?

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Hmmm... Power trunk over M-sport package.... I think I'll stick with the M-sport pacakge for now but may consider swaping to a less nagging wife. ^^ Thanks for your input though.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
Like mentioned the cost of the retrofit isn't worth it. If you do ever go with the retrofit just keep in mind that you can code it so you can actually close the trunk from your key fob, from the factory you can only open the trunk from the key fob.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjewelry View Post
Hmmm... Power trunk over M-sport package.... I think I'll stick with the M-sport pacakge for now but may consider swaping to a less nagging wife. ^^ Thanks for your input though.
I do agree with you though, its silly that they didn't make it a standard option - still isn't, now for '13 its included in the Executive Package. But technically our "base" 740 models are usually de-contented so they can hit a certain price point. AFAIK it's standard on the 750.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: .
It actually won't be as expensive as you think. The power trunk option consists of two linear spring modules that directly replace your current non-electric ones, a trunk mounted control module, a close/lock button on the trunk lid, probably the trunk latch module and various wiring/coding.

I replaced one of my electric actuators and got a good deal on a used one for ~$200. I would guess that in a worst case scenario you'd spend 1K with used parts. Since you're in SoCal, I'd be happy to help with the coding once you find all the necessary hardware.

It's worth it if it's worth it to you - forum people will always tell you it's too expensive/not possible/not worth it.

Have a look here for reference...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=61&fg=25

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=61&fg=35

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...80&hg=41&fg=60

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...57&hg=41&fg=60

Last edited by Tuesday; 01-23-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the info itschase, definitely worth spending a 1k just to get my wife off my back but thats just me - totally respect others who thinks its not worh it. If I can somehow gather all the parts used/new and get it installed close to a thousand. It shall be done ^^.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM

I've seen this particular tailgate retrofit being done overseas in Korea for the new 5 series completed in two hours. Cost was $1000 us which included installation. It seems however, most of the 7 series being exported there all have this option included, even in base models...
Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
BimmerTech is offering automatic tailgate retrofit for selected BMW vehicles
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on