Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: '99 323is
2002 325is Idle Surge and Oil Consumption

My brother's 2002 325is with approximately 190,000km has an occasional idle surge during which the idle will oscillate up and down more and more until the vehicle stalls or until you push the gas. It doesn't do this all the time and from what he's told me it is usually when he's slowing to a stop but I've experienced it just moving the car out of the driveway. Last summer we did the usual ICV cleaning (it was already pretty clean), checked for vacuum leaks, etc. but didn't find anything.

His car also consumes quite a bit of oil. I'd say probably around 1L/1000km. I'm not sure what the common causes of oil consumption are on an e46 so I haven't looked into it for him (although I like to brag that my 1999 323is with similar mileage idles fine and burns no oil at all haha).

Any suggestions on troubleshooting the surging idle? And are there any common, repairable reasons for oil consumption?
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
At this point, unless these were already done, that car needs the following:

VANOS seals

CVV (and all attendant hoses) replaced

Valve cover gasket

New plugs

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: '99 323is
The car does have new plugs but that's it. Would the valve cover gaskets leak oil externally because that is not the case with his car. The CVV is an interesting one, I wasn't aware of what that was until I googled it just now. The car also makes quite a loud "turbine" like noise and I was never sure what that could be...?

1999 BMW 323is | 1990 Ford Mustang GT

Last edited by hemi_fan; 01-21-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
From what I read a vacuum leak is one of the more common issue with BMWs. When the "service engine soon' light came on. The dealer wanted to do a "smoke test" at $150 to find the problem and SA said the cost will apply to any repairs. I had that issue according to the "service engine soon" report, but it went away and the dealer never did the test. The very infrequent idle surge went away and never returned.

Edit: Now the SES lamp came back on, but I have not felt any idle surge during stops, yet.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-21-2013 at 12:40 PM.