Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 730Ld F02 2011
BMW F02 2011 powers on itself after 1h ?

All,

this is my first post, just joined the forum. Rather than asking the local BMW dealership, we would likely get much more information from here, and have it shared at the same time. I have a 730Ld (F02) 2011 model; bought from BMW dealer in Germany few months ago; built September 2010.

For the reasons that belong to another issue and thread, a few weeks ago I installed a datalogger in the car to monitor and record the battery voltage and ambient temperature changes. I need to mention also that the voltage measurement is taken from the 12V (cigarette lighter) output in the dash - i.e. the power is there when the car is "powered on".

As of yesterday when glancing through the measurements from last week, I came across something *unexpected*, and would like to do a quick poll with you if anyone could check whether your car exhibits the same behavior. Even better, if someone could explain why.

So, every time I leave the car (i.e., stop the engine, turn ignition off and lock the doors), the power (in the 12V output) remains on for another three minutes before it drops to zero. What is interesting, and unknown to (at least) myself, is the fact that the car powers on itself exactly 1h (60 minutes) later for another three minutes. Why is that? Anyone knows?

When I saw the first instance of this in the datalogger output, I thought it might have happened because of some radio interference causing the car to power on. Looking more carefully the output of the datalogger, I came to realize that this happens *every* time I stop the car, and it is exactly 60 minutes from stopping the engine (or 57 minutes from the time the power in the output went down).

As I now have evidence from whole week of this happening every time, and in exactly the same pattern, it is no longer a coincidence or radio interference; it is BMW programmed behavior - whether intentional or not.

Initially my main concern was whether the doors get unlocked at the same time for those three minutes, and someone happening to be nearby could enter the car. To see whether that happens, I decided to watch it happening. So when I came back from work today and knew the power on would happen in 1h, I set an alarm to go off 58 minutes after I turned the engine off. The 58 minutes goes by, my alarm went off, and I went outside (without my car keys), standing next to the drivers' door to see what exactly happens when the power comes on.

At exactly 1h timestamp, the lights in the gear lever, start/stop button, and few more dash lights came on; but to my relief, no doors unlocked, no fans or anything else started that I could observe, just those dash lights which remain on for 3 minutes after powering off the car.

So, no major worries, but I remain curious as to why? Why exactly 60 minutes after turning the ignition off?

I wonder if it is related to the optional equipment fitted, or if it is a standard behavior on all F01/F02 2011 models (or older/newer ones). Could some of you check whether the same happens with your vehicle and post it here? Even better, if someone knows why is this happening? (I'm afraid that asking the local BMW dealer would be waste of time...)

I will try to attach one example datalogger sample on what's happening - not sure if I succeed as it is my first time in this forum to post (and with a picture...)

Thanks a lot for any comments/replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw voltage.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	358610  
Ads by Google
Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 PM
BMW rocks!

Mein Auto: 2013 750I M
I noticed that too on my car.

2013 750i M, 2014 X1
Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 740Li (F02)
must be the a/c blower running by itself since you can set it to run at a certain time of day with the car off. check your settings.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Thanks for replies so far, and nice to hear that someone else has noticed the same.

@Individual750LI,
I assume your car is loaded with just about all options... I've got plenty of those also... (BTW, what year model is yours? [edit: sorry, can see it in your signature - a 2009 model - so we know now that the behavior has been there at least for 2009, 2010 and 2011 models]).

@bruno787
No, I don't think it is a/c blower (or any other blower). I was listening next to the car, no noise at all. Also, if it was a programmed start time, it would be a specific time of the day - not several times a day, each time exactly 1h after I turn off the engine.

Please note that the temperature here is well below zero (-10C or so) around the clock, and there is no need for any cooling. I do have Webasto heater in the car, but that is not programmed to start on timer, I use remote control shortly before I am about to leave; not 1h after I arrived.

One further note maybe... the power-on happens only once, no matter how many days the car is parked, and exactly 60 minutes after power off.

It would be nice to understand if this behavior comes along with some specific optional equipment -- anyone here with minimal options installed noticing the same?

All feedback welcome...

Last edited by dollarshopper; 01-21-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 PM
BMW rocks!

Mein Auto: 2013 750I M
I think it's more like the computer/ecu is trying to reboot once in a while.

2013 750i M, 2014 X1
Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Thank you for your thorough post, which I plan to follow.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
My bet is on this having something to do with BMW assist communicating with its network so that it can update with the vehicle location, check to see if it needs to download any destination you've sent to it via google maps, and whatever else.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 AM

Humm... that's one guess, but I don't find it likely for few reasons; the BMW Assist is available only in 6 European countries (Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and UK) - i.e. not here. I.e., it should not be active.

Regarding the Assist and Online services, the BMW website states the following:
"Activation of BMW Assist and BMW Online services.
For reasons of privacy, the features of BMW Assist and BMW Online can only be used in your BMW after activation in the online portal of BMW ConnectedDrive."

I am not sure what exactly is required, but a BMW ds told me it requires a mobile phone with required BMW app to connect (available only for iPhone). Is that the whole truth?

Furthermore, my car itself does not have a SIM (but hooks up to my mobile via bluetooth when driving).

To double-check, can you pls let me know how to check whether BMW Online services are activated in my vehicle?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Connected Drive is something that I believe came out on the 2012 MY. Mine's a 2011 and doesn't have connected drive. My BMW Assist account was activated at the dealer when I bought the vehicle. I know tethering it to an iphone is necessary for certain bmw apps like pandora, which my car doesn't have. I've been able to communicate with a bmw assist rep in the past directly through the car without involving my phone, and download destinations from google maps, so I'm assuming it has some type of cellular connectivity built in. I've never looked into the details of it

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 AM

Thanks for replies. While my car has a long list of online related BMW options, right now we are only trying to guess what causes the power-on after 1h, but we dont really know. I dont really believe it would be comms related, but maybe the fastest way to find out is if we got some more feedback on whether others are observing the same, and especially those who dont have BMW Assist/Online/Connected drive etc communication options. If it happens with those cars also, then we know it is not communications related.

Anyone without online options observing the 3 minute power-on after 1h?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 750Li
maybe it's communicating with aliens
Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
2 really wild guesses:

1. Software bug
2. Perhaps a quick check to see the level of power is sufficient to start the motor; checking battery drain.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
If not mistaken, auxiliary cooling fans remain on after vehicle shut down for a period of time depending on the engine temperature, so to cool down the turbos. Maybe the car is taking a quick temp check to ensure the fans don't need to be turned on again? What's crazy is that these cars these days with BMW Assist and the like are never really 'shut off' when parked.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 AM

bump... if any new developments...