Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
BMW transmission/iDrive software update: Not covered under CPO?

My tansmission was acting funny... I took it in, the mechanic drove the car with me... the problem didnt appear he recomemed I update the software
Iím told its not covered under CPO, I also have active maintenance plan... their asking $275 for the update.

Is it really not covered?

e36 328i - Sold.
e60 530 SMG Sold.
e63 650i weekends
e39 528iA - Need works
e39 530iA DD
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
That sucks, from my cpo experience it is mechanical only. No software unless a mechanical fix requires the update. Same with seals and fluids, not covered under cpo unless a it is in conjunction with a mechanical part replacement (i.e. power steering pump goes out you have to replace the pump and fluids).

Perhaps you can elevate with the service manager, if can't get covered maybe get a discount?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi! A software update should be a total update and not just the transmission/Idrive. I had a complete update and my car was 2 years out of warranty and not covered, There are some risks in doing the update but if you have a CPO you should be covered.
There is a transmission update which really smooths out the transmission, but as I said it cannot be done separately, (unless my dealer was a little lie teller Lol)

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM

The SA said it was not covered under CPO, when i drove with the mechanic, and he told me about the upgrade, and he said it will not be covered under CPO.

Should I call BMWNA?

e36 328i - Sold.
e60 530 SMG Sold.
e63 650i weekends
e39 528iA - Need works
e39 530iA DD
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi! I understand the software update is not covered but I mentioned that a full software update has risks, one of them being modules not working after the update when they were working before! Having said this you mentioned that your CPO would cover module failures so technically you would be covered?????? Just don't tell them how they came to fail should it happen nod nod wink wink!!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !

Last edited by 645/333; 01-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Presumably you already tried the transmission reset to allow the transmission to "relearn" your driving behavior, and this didn't correct it? If not, turn you car on (but don't start it), and depress the gas pedal all the way down (past the kick point) and hold it down for 45-60seconds. Then start the car normally.

Also, I had some irregular shifting on my '07 auto and the dealer checked it for me this week. They found that the mechatronics sleeve was leaking and the fluid was a little low. They replaced it for me and covered in under CPO. Not sure if this is "mechanical" versus seals/gaskets, but it was covered.

Good luck.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Presumably you already tried the transmission reset to allow the transmission to "relearn" your driving behavior, and this didn't correct it? If not, turn you car on (but don't start it), and depress the gas pedal all the way down (past the kick point) and hold it down for 45-60seconds. Then start the car normally.

Also, I had some irregular shifting on my '07 auto and the dealer checked it for me this week. They found that the mechatronics sleeve was leaking and the fluid was a little low. They replaced it for me and covered in under CPO. Not sure if this is "mechanical" versus seals/gaskets, but it was covered.

Good luck.
They replaced my mechatronics under CPO also, but it is a Sealing Sleeve and a hard part (plastic?), not a rubber seal/gasket. That is all I can come up with to say why! A picture of what it looks like is in the following writeup

http://www.zftranspart.com/images/custom/mecha.pdf

The mechanical is just a general rule of thumb, there are some mechanical they do not cover, and other items that aren't purely mechanical that they do. When I was in for service one time I pointed out that the hydraulic stabilizer rack under the front of my car was leaking a bit of fluid. Not much, but when I was inspecting some other stuff I spotted it. They took a look, the SA said to me, if it is a seal/gasket that needs replacement I am out of luck, if it is the entire assembly then I am covered. Luckily they cleaned it up, tightened it, and it didn't leak anymore. So no charges came down either way.

Last edited by tampamark; 01-10-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM

Mark - I agree - rules of thumb but you don't know until you hear from your SA...

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 AM

I havent heard from my SA yet, I had a CEL on when I took the car in, did you guys have the CEL on when the mechatronics was leaking?

e36 328i - Sold.
e60 530 SMG Sold.
e63 650i weekends
e39 528iA - Need works
e39 530iA DD
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellicit View Post
I havent heard from my SA yet, I had a CEL on when I took the car in, did you guys have the CEL on when the mechatronics was leaking?
No CEL for me - only strange hesitating shifting behavior (beyond the usual occassional hard or mis-timed shifts). So I had them check it out.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellicit View Post
My tansmission was acting funny... I took it in, the mechanic drove the car with me... the problem didnt appear he recomemed I update the software
Iím told its not covered under CPO, I also have active maintenance plan... their asking $275 for the update.

Is it really not covered?
They're probably quoting the labor charge. I recently took my 645ci in for the battery recall & asked about the software update. They said the "update" was free, but would charge for labor....$325.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650I
You are on the hook for software upgrades as they are not covered by the CPO warranty. My SA updated my software free of charge but that was a favor kind of thing. I would def try the Tranny reset that Greg suggested if you haven't already.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM

sorry I didn't updated this thread, here's what's going on, I called BMWNA, and they said the labor is not cover, it was about $325, with a small discount, it was total to $280+

my CEL came on because there was a leak, or crack in the fuel line, something in that nature, I'm not sure what it was, but it totaled to $750, this was done under warranty...

after the update, the car is defiantly smoother, but its not perfect... I'll take it in again, its great that the dealership is 2 blocks from my work place, I just stop by and annoying them.

e36 328i - Sold.
e60 530 SMG Sold.
e63 650i weekends
e39 528iA - Need works
e39 530iA DD
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: '05 645i convert
This exact issue bit me too. Mine was outright dangerous in certain conditions as on a slight incline uphill, starting the car off would engage the engine so suddenly it felt like you were getting rear-ended. Took it in and they told me that this was a mistake in the original program of the transmission... but that it was $275 to update the software. Naturally, as with you, no joy under the CPO. I paid up and the car is much better. But this really is one of my biggest disappointments with BMW. The software had a bug. They sold the car with a defect... and I have to pay to fix it??? Seriously.

I hope someone there is watching as this is just a terrible blemish on the brand to have customers paying to fix their mistakes. The idea that software is not covered because it is not mechanical is just stupid and arbitrary. Tell me how these transmissions work without the software??? Software is just as important and integral as a solenoid in a modern transmission. Defects in it no different either.