BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F31 328i xDrive Sports Wagon Pricing: Starting at $42,345

36K views 69 replies 39 participants last post by  katfish1121 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
F31 328i xDrive Sports Wagon Pricing: Starting at $42,345

Wagon fans out there! I visited the New England Auto Show in Boston this week. On displayed (but door locked ) was a beautiful red BMW 328i xDrive Sports Wagon with sport line trim. The pricing was displayed next to the car. I have not been able to find the pricing anywhere else.

MSRP $42,345 including destination. All the options, including the sport trim (2,600) are extra. See attached picture for details.

BMW F31 3 Series Sport Wagon Line Pricing
  • Luxury Line (ZLL) - $2300
  • Modern Line (ZML) - $2300
  • M Sport Line (ZMM) - $3950
  • Sport Line (ZSL) - $2600

BMW F31 3 Series Sport Wagon Option Pricing
  • Cold weather package (ZCW) - $950
  • Driver assistance package (ZDA) - $1900
  • Driver assistance plus (ZDB) - $700
  • Dynamic handling package (ZDH) - $1000
  • Lighting package (ZLP) - $900
  • Premium package (ZPP) - $2200
  • Roof rails black - $100
  • Sport automatic transmission with paddle shifters - $500
  • Anti-theft alarm system - $400
  • Rear view camera - $400 - included with ZDA
  • Rear manual side window shades - $250
  • Heated front seats - $500 - included with ZCW
  • Park distance control - $750 - included with ZDA
  • Automatic high beams - $250
  • Active cruise control with Stop&Go $2400
  • Navigation system with voice command and BMW Apps - $2150 - included with ZTP
  • Harmon Kardon surround sound system - $875
  • Burl Walnut trim - $500 - included with ZMM
  • Dakota Leather upholstery - $1450
  • Metalic paint - $550

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Been waiting to see the pricing. Wondering if I would regret pulling the trigger on the X1 instead. If that $42,345 is the base MSRP I'm glad I did not wait.

Nice looking though. If I wanted some of the F30 technology and was willing to pay a price up in the mid to high $40K range I'd be all over it.

#5 ·
I got in one at the auto show. Beautiful, lovely entry level wagon. Tad too small for what the Mrs. was looking for - the e60 wagon fit the bill better.

Nonetheless, I find the f31 touring to be the best looking of the f30 design language to date. The rear end is just so well done. If it was available in 335 trim with a manual trans well....well I'd be in europe then :)

#6 ·
Wow, that base price is prohibitively high....Its more than every single competitor...including Audi Allroad, Cadillac CTS.....and many small luxury SUVs that are often cross-shopped against wagons...The X1, X3, Audi Q5, Mercedes GLK, Lexus RX350 are all cheaper....

For example, that's nearly $5k higher than the Audi Q5...*****, BMW must not really be interested in selling this wagon, at a base price of nearly $43k....

I would rather buy a stripper 320 sedan for $33k, and take the extra $10k and buy a used Subaru Outback for the price of one of these stripped out wagons.

Love the wagon, but no way would I pay that much of a premium for it, especially when I can get a very nice, roomy and great handling X3, Q5 etc for at least $5k less.

#8 ·
I think the base price is similar to the Audi Allroad. You would be hard pressed to order the base allroad without at least the convenience package (bluetooth).

Base allroad $ 39,600
convenience package: 1,100
destination: 895
Price as Built: $ 41,595

At this level on the audi, you will not get Start-Stop, color flat display and the maintenance included for 4 years. The maintenance alone is probably worth it.

It does not help me choose between the bmw and the audi...

#9 · (Edited)
But the allroad is also more expensive than the Q5 comparably equipped so I think the overall point here is the same... 328xi (and allroad) is very expensive for what it is. For the same price as an allroad, you can drive home in a Q5 3.0T; or save $3,000 with a Q5 2.0T.

It appears that both BMW and Audi have decided to charge a massive wagon premium relative to the SUVs :tsk:

#11 ·
I thought the Audi Allroad comes standard with a 6.5" colour screen for HVAC, audio, etc....

and by start/stop, you mean ASS? I would prefer not to have that, as many others on here complain about it too....so that is definitely not a feature for me....

Again, this wagon is very nice but if past history is correct, there will be few, if any, avaliable to test drive.

Moreover, the lease deals are bound to be atrocious as they have historically been on the wagons....this, combined with the high base price...well...you're gonna pay dearly for this if you really want it.

#12 ·
It's too bad that Audi stopped importing the standard Avant, as the allroad costs more for no reason. I guess they know us Americans are suckers for higher ride heights and plastic trim.

The 3 series touring is actually priced exactly like I expected... expensive. Almost 25% premium over a X1 28i xdrive with the same engine/transmission. :thumbdwn:

Still hopeful of a diesel touring, but I'm not holding my breath.

#13 ·
There is a pricing error in the first post. The "Sport Line" option should be $2,600 and not $3,600. This is clearly indicated in the photograph from the auto show.

I'd like more details about what is contained in each of the option packages (specifically, what is the difference b/w "Sport" and "M Sport") but my eyes can't quite make out the tiny wording on the lower right of the photograph.

IF I were able to buy the car with a manual transmission I'd start making my Euro delivery plans. But as it stands the car is definitely not a screaming value and I'm going to keep my options open for now.

#14 ·
Food for thought...

X3 xDrive28i MSRP $38,850
328i xDrive MSRP $42,345
Wagon Premium = $3,495

cf X3 xDriver35i MSRP $43,950... but it has more standard equipment than 328i so comparably equipped, 328i wagon cost about the same as X3 35i.

Q5 2.0T MSRP $35,900
A4 allroad 2.0T $39,600
Wagon Premium = $4,000

cf Q5 3.0T MSRP $43,900... also has more standard equipment than allroad. So again, comparably equipped, allroad cost about the same as Q5 3.0T.

#15 · (Edited)
That's quite a high premium for wagon. In Sweden and I beleve the rest of Europe the difference between the sedan and the wagon is around 2000 USD.

My wife just got a new 320d wagon Advantage Edition with Sport line as her company car and she paid 270.000 SEK (around 41.000 USD) (that's without the VAT because that's not interesting if you lease the car through a company).

#18 · (Edited)
Price premium

The discussion above has been about the price premium relative to X3 or SUV. That is not the relevant comparison, since it's like comparing apples and oranges. The relevant question is what is the price premium over the sedan, which has a price of 38,850. Indeed, The 3,500 for a wagon relative to the sedan seems very high to me. Additionally, if you compare the price of the wagon with the sedan in Europe, we are paying a much higher premium in the US. But, I guess they are marketing the niche product to fools like me who will pay the price premium.

#19 ·
The discussion above has been about the price premium relative to X3 or SUV. That is not the relevant comparison, since it's like comparing apples and oranges. The relevant question is what is the price premium over the sedan, which has a price of 38,850. Indeed, The 3,500 for a wagon relative to the sedan seems very high to me. But, I guess they are marketing the niche product to fools like me who will pay the price premium.
I disagree, i think it *IS* a relevant comparsion...especially since the X1, X3, Q5 etc. are all functionally equivalent as far as luxury, size, AWD, etc....

The wagon just sits lower and handles a little better, but if you haven't driven one, the X3 is no slouch in the handling dept, it is quite good for what it is.

#21 ·
Marketing question: Is the price increase because this is a low-volume model? Or is it the socio-economics of wagon buyers that they can afford a higher price point? Or are there so few US wagon options that BMW can charge more vs SUVs where every manufacturer offers several? What do you think?

#22 ·
ref: comparing with X3 or Q5
For me, it is about driving height. I'm unconformable driving too high from the ground. As such, I'm not interested in the X3 or Q5. That said, I admit I have not tried either - just too many SUV rentals while traveling. The wagon has also a better environmental friendly persona in my opinion (and that has a price marketing wise).

Limited choices for a sport wagon with 4WD in near luxury. 328i XDrive touring or Audi AllRoad are the only contender in my book. They are both similar in prices. I'm also a sucker and will pay the premium for the wagon.

I'm still holding out until I can test drive one... and until to hear additional information about the Diesel xDrive version assuming it is coming this year.

#23 ·
test drive

First, while I respect someone's choice to by an X3, I repeat it is like apples and oranges. I have driven the X3, and the driving experience is completely different from the F31 -- and yes, I have driven the F31 (in France). Additionally, the F31 gas mileage is 20% higher than the X3. So, it is not on my radar screen, and I imagine the same holds true for those of us who are niche wagon buyers. That being said, as the previous post notes, there are only two choices: Allroad or F31. My test drives have not been back to back, but, having driven both, I am would definitely recommend the F31. Additionally, the gas mileage on the F31 is substantially better than the Audi, and it comes with the free service, which has to be worth a couple of thousand dollars (based on my previous ownership experience with my E90 and E46). All that being said, it does get me agitated that European drivers have so many better choices, including manual and diesels, and furthermore, that they don't get ripped off for buying a wagon. But, this of course reflects our SUV society where choices are numerous, and competition is keen.

#25 ·
First, while I respect someone's choice to by an X3, I repeat it is like apples and oranges. I have driven the X3, and the driving experience is completely different from the F31 -- and yes, I have driven the F31 (in France). Additionally, the F31 gas mileage is 20% higher than the X3. So, it is not on my radar screen, and I imagine the same holds true for those of us who are niche wagon buyers. That being said, as the previous post notes, there are only two choices: Allroad or F31. My test drives have not been back to back, but, having driven both, I am would definitely recommend the F31. Additionally, the gas mileage on the F31 is substantially better than the Audi, and it comes with the free service, which has to be worth a couple of thousand dollars (based on my previous ownership experience with my E90 and E46). All that being said, it does get me agitated that European drivers have so many better choices, including manual and diesels, and furthermore, that they don't get ripped off for buying a wagon. But, this of course reflects our SUV society where choices are numerous, and competition is keen.
All good what you said, but they do get ripped off for buying anything, compare to US car buyers.
Choices-yes, but maybe these low prices limit our choices?

#26 ·
so cheap there

bmw australia released RRP
Manufacturer's Recommended List Price (1)
320i $58,811.00
320d $62,900.00

#35 ·
i don tthink its really that overpriced compared to the sedan.

if you look at the spec sheet in the picture, you do get a moonroof standard. the sedan doesnt have a standard moonroof. now i personally would never get a moonroof, but if you were going to get one anyway thats $1000 of the difference

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.