Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Smile sway bars!

Has anyone changed their sway bars & upgraded to stiffer ones?
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster10 View Post

Let me think....thinking....thinking hard!

Yes. Yes. Through the mist o'time, it appears someone somewhere has R&R'd sway bars!

You must start your search for truth, young Padawan. Try the oracle Google, and his Karmic twin, Bing. Direct your search to BMW SWAY BAR INSTALL.

The superior adept will focus on the letter M, and know his LSD!

There is a path for you. Good luck! Post here if your unravel the magnificence of it.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Let me think....thinking....thinking hard!

Yes. Yes. Through the mist o'time, it appears someone somewhere has R&R'd sway bars!

You must start your search for truth, young Padawan. Try the oracle Google, and his Karmic twin, Bing. Direct your search to BMW SWAY BAR INSTALL.

The superior adept will focus on the letter M, and know his LSD!

There is a path for you. Good luck! Post here if your unravel the magnificence of it.
You're such a "dill weed" hinting at using Google and Bing to find an answer ....

I would have just said "Google is your friend" or use the search button found on this page and it will return 999 items for "sway bar" and "sway bar install" returns 416 posts. And he wouldn't have to use BMW in his search!

Gee ... advising someone to do some "work'! SHAME ON YOU!!!

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster10 View Post
Cal is sorta right: you need to UNDERSTAND what you're doing. Try Googling "bmw sway bar understeer".

Increasing the sway bar diameter WITHOUT changing the spring rates (and shocks) will be likely to INCREASE understeer and make the car harder to control, not better.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 335Ci View Post
You're such a "dill weed" hinting at using Google and Bing to find an answer ....

I would have just said "Google is your friend" or use the search button found on this page and it will return 999 items for "sway bar" and "sway bar install" returns 416 posts. And he wouldn't have to use BMW in his search!

Gee ... advising someone to do some "work'! SHAME ON YOU!!!

I freely admit: Shame is my life.

Name:  scared.gif
Views: 107
Size:  8.1 KB

But, does OP know why I bold faced?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
I do, but I like to figure stuff out.

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Been there, done that with my E46 M3...and the sway bars were TOO STIFF, thus they ripped out their anchoring points after multiple driving schools. Re-welding was required. Lesson: how are you going to determine that the sway bars are NOT too stiff for your suspension and TEAR THROUGH their anchoring points?

BTW...mine were installed by"EXPERTS" from the sway bar company...directly from the factory...and they were TOO STIFF (rear).

Of course if you don't go screaming around a road course track for 6 - 7 sessions, they might not crack the anchoring points.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Been there, done that with my E46 M3...and the sway bars were TOO STIFF, thus they ripped out their anchoring points after multiple driving schools. Re-welding was required. Lesson: how are you going to determine that the sway bars are NOT too stiff for your suspension and TEAR THROUGH their anchoring points?

BTW...mine were installed by"EXPERTS" from the sway bar company...directly from the factory...and they were TOO STIFF (rear).

Of course if you don't go screaming around a road course track for 6 - 7 sessions, they might not crack the anchoring points.
I recall someone having issues with cracking anchoring points on their E9X with stock sway bars. I believe the issue was quality related. If I recall right they at least claimed not to be doing any extensive tracking of the car.

For some people, the quest for a stiffer suspension often ends in poor overall ride and performance. Not to mention the ueber tuners that end up riding on cars that just bounce and bounce over every little road imperfection, loosening all fillings in their mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 01-23-2013 at 08:40 AM.