Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM
robster10 robster10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ontario Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Smile sway bars!

Has anyone changed their sway bars & upgraded to stiffer ones?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster10 View Post
Has anyone changed their sway bars & upgraded to stiffer ones?

Let me think....thinking....thinking hard!

Yes. Yes. Through the mist o'time, it appears someone somewhere has R&R'd sway bars!

You must start your search for truth, young Padawan. Try the oracle Google, and his Karmic twin, Bing. Direct your search to BMW SWAY BAR INSTALL.

The superior adept will focus on the letter M, and know his LSD!

There is a path for you. Good luck! Post here if your unravel the magnificence of it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 AM
08 335Ci's Avatar
08 335Ci 08 335Ci is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pocono Mts. Pa USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Let me think....thinking....thinking hard!

Yes. Yes. Through the mist o'time, it appears someone somewhere has R&R'd sway bars!

You must start your search for truth, young Padawan. Try the oracle Google, and his Karmic twin, Bing. Direct your search to BMW SWAY BAR INSTALL.

The superior adept will focus on the letter M, and know his LSD!

There is a path for you. Good luck! Post here if your unravel the magnificence of it.
You're such a "dill weed" hinting at using Google and Bing to find an answer ....

I would have just said "Google is your friend" or use the search button found on this page and it will return 999 items for "sway bar" and "sway bar install" returns 416 posts. And he wouldn't have to use BMW in his search!

Gee ... advising someone to do some "work'! SHAME ON YOU!!!
__________________
No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,689
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster10 View Post
Has anyone changed their sway bars & upgraded to stiffer ones?
Cal is sorta right: you need to UNDERSTAND what you're doing. Try Googling "bmw sway bar understeer".

Increasing the sway bar diameter WITHOUT changing the spring rates (and shocks) will be likely to INCREASE understeer and make the car harder to control, not better.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 335Ci View Post
You're such a "dill weed" hinting at using Google and Bing to find an answer ....

I would have just said "Google is your friend" or use the search button found on this page and it will return 999 items for "sway bar" and "sway bar install" returns 416 posts. And he wouldn't have to use BMW in his search!

Gee ... advising someone to do some "work'! SHAME ON YOU!!!

I freely admit: Shame is my life.

Name:  scared.gif
Views: 107
Size:  8.1 KB

But, does OP know why I bold faced?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM
08 335Ci's Avatar
08 335Ci 08 335Ci is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pocono Mts. Pa USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
I do, but I like to figure stuff out.
__________________
No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,795
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Been there, done that with my E46 M3...and the sway bars were TOO STIFF, thus they ripped out their anchoring points after multiple driving schools. Re-welding was required. Lesson: how are you going to determine that the sway bars are NOT too stiff for your suspension and TEAR THROUGH their anchoring points?

BTW...mine were installed by"EXPERTS" from the sway bar company...directly from the factory...and they were TOO STIFF (rear).

Of course if you don't go screaming around a road course track for 6 - 7 sessions, they might not crack the anchoring points.
__________________
F30 328i
E90 328i
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,332
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Been there, done that with my E46 M3...and the sway bars were TOO STIFF, thus they ripped out their anchoring points after multiple driving schools. Re-welding was required. Lesson: how are you going to determine that the sway bars are NOT too stiff for your suspension and TEAR THROUGH their anchoring points?

BTW...mine were installed by"EXPERTS" from the sway bar company...directly from the factory...and they were TOO STIFF (rear).

Of course if you don't go screaming around a road course track for 6 - 7 sessions, they might not crack the anchoring points.
I recall someone having issues with cracking anchoring points on their E9X with stock sway bars. I believe the issue was quality related. If I recall right they at least claimed not to be doing any extensive tracking of the car.

For some people, the quest for a stiffer suspension often ends in poor overall ride and performance. Not to mention the ueber tuners that end up riding on cars that just bounce and bounce over every little road imperfection, loosening all fillings in their mouth.
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 01-23-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms