Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 330i
Noisy Vanos, lifters, or something else?

Hi, I just purchased a used 2002 330i through private sale. I am ok with everything except the tapping from the engine. I just want to make sure its not critical and hopefully wont need a new motor. i've listened to alot of different vanos, disa and tappet recordings so far and they all sound a little different so i figured i would post mine as well. Anyone have an idea of what this could be? Thanks!

Ads by Google
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2001-330i
Lose Spark plug.. Not Lifters...
Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 AM

i forgot to mention that i checked spark plugs even though i may not have checked them right. I know absolutely nothing about cars. i figured with this car, and due to the high expense of repair, i figured it was time to learn. I watched the youtue vids on how to change spark plugs, and following that i was able to check them. All of them seemed tight to me. i loosened a few and retightened them.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 AM

when i check to see if they are loose you are referring to the actual sparkplug right. i used the right extension tool to make sure they were tight. Is there something else to do with the spark plugs that could be loose?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
I hear two different noises. One is ticking and the other is a lower pitched sound.
Is your oil low and or dirty?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM

The oil level is fine and its little dirty but i would not say it needs to be changed yet. Supposedly the person i bought it from just changed it, but as a precaution i am changing all the fluids when i can. I ended up having a "Post" sale inspection done instead of a pre sale like i should have at a decent Indy place. The technician said it sounded like either the rocker or camshaft and that it may have been caused by not having enough oil at one point. Anyway he said a rebuilt head would probably be the best way to fix it. He did not take the valve covers off to check for wear. that would be the next step. Since i dont know much about cars i dont know if this is something i can check I wouldnt know how to tell if any of the parts were worn. i am guessing if i were to remove the valve cover, i would have to replace the gasket afterwards?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Is this car a 5 speed manual? Sounds like dual mass flywheel chatter to me. Push in your clutch and see if that sound disappears. Normal if that is the case.

Regardless I'd be inclined to change the VANOS if I were you. I doubt that is the noise source, but needs to be done anyways.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....

Last edited by smolck; 01-22-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 PM

Its an automatic. I just hope i wont need a new motor soon and hopefully i can fix the sound for relatively cheap
Old 01-23-2013, 04:49 PM

Here are two new videos. hopefully these will give a better idea of what the sound could be. Sounds alot like knocking to me. First one is rev second is idle. Sucks. I got ripped off.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacket View Post
Here are two new videos. hopefully these will give a better idea of what the sound could be. Sounds alot like knocking to me. First one is rev second is idle. Sucks. I got ripped off.
Maybe you are hearing something I'm not, but I hear nothing that is all that worrisome. Sounds pretty normal to me. Engines make noises and E46's have some noisy valve trains anyways.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
Just get used to the chatter I have hunted and hunted for a source. Its just the motor doing its thing. Try some different oils to quiet it. I found that mobil 10w40 keeps mine pretty quiet

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App