Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i 2001
Exclamation Possible oil leak/seepage under corner of engine

I own a 2001 330i with 95k and love it, just like you guys
However, I've recently (about 1.5 weeks ago) noticed an oil leakage right beneath the bottom left corner of the engine. It seems odd because around the leak seems to be electrical connectors.

I've attached pictures (my key is pointing at the location) Sorry pictures seem to be rotated. However, the front end of the car is on the right side. This is at the lower left of the hood of the car.

Anyways, any suggestions in defining the problem? All help and time devoted to help me is greatly appreciated. And here's a "thank you" beforehand. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130122_155637_LLS.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	358862   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130122_155540_LLS.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	358863  

Last edited by SamxK; 01-23-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Describing more in detail
Ads by Google
Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
it seems u have a VCG leak or the CPS has a failing O-ring.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 AM

I actually believe I might have a vacuum leak because my car idles roughly at times, especially when cold. And SES is on with lean bank 1 and 2. Does this have anything to do with it?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
nope not related.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamxK View Post
... I've recently (about 1.5 weeks ago) noticed an oil leakage right beneath the bottom left corner of the engine. ...
To reduce confusion, the correct way to describe the location you are pointing to is the front, right side of the engine at the top.

With a car, right is always to your right when you are sitting in the car facing forward. If you are in front of the car looking back at it, the right side of the car will be to your left.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325Cic TiAg
I would pull the Camshaft Position Sensor and install a new O Ring, it appears to be leaking.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I would pull the Camshaft Position Sensor and install a new O Ring, it appears to be leaking.
We covered all the o-rings you may need for an M54 over here:
- Let's create a list of o-rings (by size & by part number) to buy when ordering parts

Excerpt below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
CPS to engine O-ring p/n 12141748398 (Item #9)

CPS O-ring (Intake & exhaust) p/n 12141748398 (Item #6)

EDIT: M54 CPS locations are in this thread.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 01-23-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
To reduce confusion, the correct way to describe the location you are pointing to is the front, right side of the engine at the top.

With a car, right is always to your right when you are sitting in the car facing forward. If you are in front of the car looking back at it, the right side of the car will be to your left.
Thank you for this information. I will remember the next time I locate something.

So it seems like I have a worn exhaust side CPS O-ring. would replacing that be difficult?
I took a look and it seems like space is very limited around that area
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Looks like CPS o-ring, but just as an alternative, could be seeping from an electrical connector itself. It's been known to happen. Ask me how I know...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=569509
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Cic TiAg
There are multiple videos posted on YouTube and I found them very helpful before I replaced both exhaust and intake sensors. It makes it much easier to do the exhaust side when you remove the mechanical fan and shroud. It only takes a 5mm Allen wrench and BMW recommends a new fastener and o ring when doing the sensor. I saw a thread that talked about oil leaking through the sensors connector, I would find it, read it and compare to your vehicle.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
There are multiple videos posted on YouTube and I found them very helpful before I replaced both exhaust and intake sensors. It makes it much easier to do the exhaust side when you remove the mechanical fan and shroud. It only takes a 5mm Allen wrench and BMW recommends a new fastener and o ring when doing the sensor. I saw a thread that talked about oil leaking through the sensors connector, I would find it, read it and compare to your vehicle.
Thanks for your help. I've looked on YouTube to find out how to remove the Exhaust CPS in order to replace the O-Ring and couldn't find any helpful DIY videos. May I request that you provide me with a link for one? Having to remove the fan and all that seems complicated and I would like to know the big idea of what I'll be doing before I order the parts and start. That would be great if you could. Thank you
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 AM

[QUOTE=bluebee;7332243]We covered all the o-rings you may need for an M54 over here:
- Let's create a list of o-rings (by size & by part number) to buy when ordering parts

Wow awesome, thank you for pointing out the part and a possible solution to my problem! With the four pictures you provided, can I say that I have an Exhaust CPS O-Ring failure? I only understood one of the pictures. We're the pictures pointing out the different CPS's?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
We're the pictures pointing out the different CPS's?
Yesterday, I clarified (and colorized) the realoem diagrams in that M54 engine thread - but you might not have seen it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.

Last edited by bluebee; 01-24-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 AM

All the o-rings in the above post look like this:

And, here's the original pictures of this thread, as used in that o-ring thread:
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325iT - Sienna Rot
Quote:
I actually believe I might have a vacuum leak because my car idles roughly at times, especially when cold. And SES is on with lean bank 1 and 2. Does this have anything to do with it?
If it is indeed a CPS or VCG leak, they could indeed be related. Anything leaking oil out can easily let air in. Any difference in air volume between what is measured at the MAF and O2 sensors can trigger SES codes.