Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to DZeckhausen
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW F30 328i 8-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen21 View Post
Ok one small complaint now that it is 10 degrees here in NJ. I wish the heated steering wheel and seats would heat up a little faster!
This is the first car I've ever had with a heated steering wheel, and after the last few days, it's probably my favorite feature on the car! I've been surprised at how quickly mine heats up. Perhaps there's something wrong with yours.

I've noticed the heat to the steering wheel cuts off when the A.S.S. shuts down the engine. The drop-off in wheel temperature is rapid and quite obvious.

------
2012 BMW F30 328i Luxury Line 8-Speed
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade

2001 BMW E39 540i 6-Speed (Traded-in for F30)
M5 Limited Slip Differential, Front Swaybar
Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, Strut Tower Brace
Rogue Short Shifter, Transmission Mounts
European Dash Conversion
CDV deleted
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: F30 '13 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen View Post
This is the first car I've ever had with a heated steering wheel, and after the last few days, it's probably my favorite feature on the car! I've been surprised at how quickly mine heats up. Perhaps there's something wrong with yours.

I've noticed the heat to the steering wheel cuts off when the A.S.S. shuts down the engine. The drop-off in wheel temperature is rapid and quite obvious.
I may just be impatient in the frigid temperatures. How long does yours take to warm up?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to DZeckhausen
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW F30 328i 8-Speed
Quote:
I may just be impatient in the frigid temperatures. How long does yours take to warm up?
I notice it warming up in just a few seconds. Yesterday, when the car was sitting outside my office in 12 degree weather, it took a bit longer to notice any warmth. Probably a full minute. But then again, I had put gloves on. I keep gloves in my door pocket, but almost never use them, thanks to the heated wheel.

------
2012 BMW F30 328i Luxury Line 8-Speed

2001 BMW E39 540i 6-Speed (Traded-in for F30)
M5 Limited Slip Differential, Front Swaybar
Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, Strut Tower Brace
Rogue Short Shifter, Transmission Mounts
European Dash Conversion
CDV deleted
Old 01-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post
I think I may be the only ASS man here :P The quietness of my car in standby accompanied by the savings on gas / emissions to the atmosphere. The slight jerk is an endearingly quirky part of my cars character.
I even find myself missing it when the engine is to cold to work. Am I drinking the koolade here?

Chiba
Yes, too much Kool-Aid...that slight jerk is not endearing as it cheapens the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Since I had my ASS re-coded I haven't even thought about it a bit, it's like it was never even there.

BJ

+1 If I wanted ASS, I would've gotten Cameron Diaz's Prius.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:

I'm amused by the 70 degree setting. I just got done telling my kids to just leave it at 70, and don't touch it.

LOL!

EDIT: By the way, it looks great!

Last edited by krash; 01-24-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Get the painted reflectors, really changes the look, cleans it up a bit.
BJ
I'm sorry to intrude, but what does this mean, please? Is this an aftermarket thing, something that comes with one of the lines, or a simple option?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Since I had my ASS re-coded I haven't even thought about it a bit, it's like it was never even there.

BJ
Is that because it's not there? Meaning you always keep it off?

I will get the ASS adjustment, but I might work with it for a while to see whether (a) I get used to it and/or (b) it smooths out over time as someone else has suggested. I live the the second largest city in the country and we do a lot of stopping for some very long lights.

I like the option, though, of switching it off permanently if I end up not liking it. I like it even better when the sales guy offered that up proactively when we discussed the car. That's an ex-mechanic for you!

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 13' 335i M-Sport 6MT
Hagen, can you comment on the level of engine noise in the cabin? I'm looking at the 328i, manual transmission, and I'm concerned that over the radio/road noise the engine will be too quiet to give audible feedback about how hard it's working.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW!
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
Yes, too much Kool-Aid...that slight jerk is not endearing as it cheapens the car.
Wrong.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFlooner View Post
Hagen, can you comment on the level of engine noise in the cabin? I'm looking at the 328i, manual transmission, and I'm concerned that over the radio/road noise the engine will be too quiet to give audible feedback about how hard it's working.
The only time I cannot hear the engine (with the stock exhaust and intake) is at idle at a light when the engine is warmed up. It's almost hard to tell the engine is running.

All other times, I have no problem audibly hearing the engine, never had a mis-shift, or some kind of moment caught off guard and I have my radio at a decent volume as I am not an old man yet lol.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@11-16lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt AERO+ TUNED
Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcruiser View Post
I'm sorry to intrude, but what does this mean, please? Is this an aftermarket thing, something that comes with one of the lines, or a simple option?
It's an aftermarket cosmetic tweak. The orange reflectors on the front fenders are a US regulation and not in keeping with what the car looks like in Europe.

Get a set of these, they pop in and replace the orange color with the color of your paint.

http://parts.ind-distribution.com/product/IND%20Painted%20Reflectors-INDF30^845.php

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: F30 '13 328i xDrive
Quote:
I have no problem hearing the engine even with the radio on. I think the level of sound is appropriate. I have the auto but I have driven manuals before and I doubt you would have a problem.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
An adjustment for the radio can be set to increase the volume level as you speed up. It' location is on the iDrive / Radio / Tone. I have adjusted mine up two notches.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 13' 335i M-Sport 6MT
Thanks for the feedback. I'm coming from a v6 Eclipse that wants for nothing as far as engine noise is concerned, and I'm getting a BMW soon. I'm looking forward to a quieter ride (...and more torque and HP) but was concerned it would be *too* quiet in normal commutes. I'm giving up the coupe lifestyle for carseats and kids, but I can't give up driving a manual.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm coming from a v6 Eclipse that wants for nothing as far as engine noise is concerned, and I'm getting a BMW soon. I'm looking forward to a quieter ride (...and more torque and HP) but was concerned it would be *too* quiet in normal commutes. I'm giving up the coupe lifestyle for carseats and kids, but I can't give up driving a manual.
If you are coming from an Eclipse, you are going to be very pleased with the noise level. I came from an Acura TL and the BMW is quieter. It is quieter than a Cadillac ATS. The BMW manual is the best available. But when you put your foot into it you will hear it, you will feel it and you will enjoy the whole experience!

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats