Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Question 335i vs 335 xi : both with snow tires

Hey guys,

Hate to have to create my own thread for the age-old question since x-Drive was launched.. but have read almost all threads here and f30post, but not getting a clear answer to questions on my mind.. So, please bear with me...

So, I have ordered a 335i M-Sport xDrive sedan.. and even now, I am having second thoughts about xDrive... My order hasn't started being built yet..

I live in Delaware.. doesn't snow much.. 3 yrs back, we had crazy snow.. don't remember about 2011-12 - I think it snowed moderately, but this last year, we had little snow.. I drive an Altima 2.5S right now, and had no problem at all this year.. but being the over-cautious customer, went with the xDrive per conventional wisdom- that says that since I tend to drive faster and more sportier than most drivers, xDrive will do it's part and make me 'safer'. Actually this was what my sister and mom said..

1. Assuming that I will get a dedicated set of snow tires anyway, should I go for xDrive or not? You can base your inputs on your experience and criteria like MPG, maintenance/service issues (please give examples), handling problems, etc..
  2. People in surrounding areas, do you have xDrive and don't use snow tires? How do you fare?
  3. Have you ever wished you had xDrive when you actually were driving RWD with snow tires? Have you had situations where you stopped but couldn't go? - not for hilly roads.. just snow/slush, etc
  4. What kind of equipment will I need to own to change the wheels (not only tires - I have heard you need to balance the wheels if changing only tires and dealers charge fees for that) for changing into/out of snow tires? I am completely new to DIY on cars.. was cool on old-styled cars when they didn't have computers on cars (think 80's)... but not now..

I know there is this advantage of getting Sports suspension with RWD and lowered ride height... its tempted me before, but I was inclined on the safety aspect - and this was before I had read about the importance of snow tires.. Now, that I know that its up to good snow tires to take care of the braking, turning and handling in snow, and xDrive takes care of starting from a complete stop and uphill/downhill motions, I am wondering if I need xDrive or not...

Just if you may want to know, I don't live in a hilly area, very flat surfaces... this will be my only car. I am not interested in tracking my car or doing 0-60 sprints.. but knowing my nature and driving habits (which is obvious as me going for 335i with DHP.. ), I want to make an informed decision rather than by just going by my gut feeling.. and I want to be as safe as can be without going overboard with counter measures..

Oh, and this is my first bimmer - I have no idea when I read that when buying a bimmer, buy an RWD.. nice, but someone please care to explain? Meanwhile I am going to be searching nearby dealers for xDrive and non-xDrive models of a 335i...

I'm pretty verbose.. oh, well!

TIA!

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Ads by Google
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
If you have snow tires either way, it's all about the hills in my opinion. You don't live in a hilly area, so I think you would be fine with a RWD car.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
I posted this elsewhere recently so forgive if you've read this already:

I thought I wouldn't want an AWD car when I bought my 2001 m5 (a bit over 400hp, RWD, about 3950 pounds in current trim, 6 speed manual). I thought I would just run snows in the winter, no big deal. Everyone talks about how RWD with snows is better than AWD with all-seasons, etc.

What I didn't realize was just how much I was goign to sacrifice 5 months a year by driving a high powered RWD car on snow tires in our quite frequently moderate temperature climate. DSC kicks in all the time, my handling limits are WAY down, braking is inferior, noisier, steering response is dulled... I could go on.

I live in a similar climate to you and 5 months a year my daily driver is notably handicapped in daily driving.

My preference now given my experience will be a high powered AWD car with excellent all-season tires on it. In such a case, I could actually enjoy my car to a much fuller extent 12 months a year, with some sacrifices of AWD, as well as other benefits besides winter traction. If I found I didn't care for driving it in the snow without snow tires - I can put them on and still enjoy a significant acceleration traction advantage.

Bear in mind also that my m5 has an LSD - I get more RWD power-to-the-ground than the open-diffed 335's of today.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post

I thought I wouldn't want an AWD car when I bought my 2001 m5 (a bit over 400hp, RWD, about 3950 pounds in current trim, 6 speed manual). I thought I would just run snows in the winter, no big deal. Everyone talks about how RWD with snows is better than AWD with all-seasons, etc.

What I didn't realize was just how much I was goign to sacrifice 5 months a year by driving a high powered RWD car on snow tires in our quite frequently moderate temperature climate. DSC kicks in all the time, my handling limits are WAY down, braking is inferior, noisier, steering response is dulled... I could go on.

I live in a similar climate to you and 5 months a year my daily driver is notably handicapped in daily driving.

My preference now given my experience will be a high powered AWD car with excellent all-season tires on it. In such a case, I could actually enjoy my car to a much fuller extent 12 months a year, with some sacrifices of AWD, as well as other benefits besides winter traction. If I found I didn't care for driving it in the snow without snow tires - I can put them on and still enjoy a significant acceleration traction advantage.

Bear in mind also that my m5 has an LSD - I get more RWD power-to-the-ground than the open-diffed 335's of today.
Actually I hadn't read this already. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts here. It's these experiences that are least on the board. Lots of theory though. How much of a difference would you think a 335 rwd would make to your situation? I think all rwds with traction control might behave the same way.. your thoughts?

Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
I live in northern VA, in a climate basically the same as yours. I've been driving my 2001 330i (rwd) with Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires with absolutely no problem, in fact I think they're overkill around here. While they're noisy, these tires handle surprisingly well. When the F30 arrives, I think I'll just use all-season M+S tires for the winter instead of true winter tires.

Personally I think awd is seriously overrated, but them again I drove a 68 Mustang in Buffalo for years so maybe I'm a little more used to snow than some.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Bimmer App
Old 01-22-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzy'boutBimmer View Post
Actually I hadn't read this already. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts here. It's these experiences that are least on the board. Lots of theory though. How much of a difference would you think a 335 rwd would make to your situation? I think all rwds with traction control might behave the same way.. your thoughts?
The 335's torque comes on earlier but not as "hard" due to a very slightly slower throttle response. However, it's also lighter weight and has an open diff.

I have looked at new 335s and for me and wanting an easy lifestyle and great driving experience 12 months, I'd go with an xi.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Have you ever wished you had xDrive when you actually were driving RWD with snow tires? Have you had situations where you stopped but couldn't go? - not for hilly roads.. just snow/slush, etc

What kind of equipment will I need to own to change the wheels (not only tires - I have heard you need to balance the wheels if changing only tires and dealers charge fees for that) for changing into/out of snow tires? I am completely new to DIY on cars.. was cool on old-styled cars when they didn't have computers on cars (think 80's)... but not now..
My son may comment, but he only has been stuck once in snow (really packed 31 degree stuff you almost couldn't walk on), due to bozo drivers w/o snows spinning out on a curvy hill going into the neighborhood and blocking the road, so he had to stop; maybe could have made it if un-obstructed.

I came from an E46 330xi (with all-seasons and then snows) that was un-stoppable: going up the steep-plowed-2-weeks-ago-road (optional road for me), we stopped and then started up again after chatting out the window to the guys walking up because their Subie with all-seasons couldn't make it. My current E90 335d with snows probably wouldn't get me up there, but it's fine for almost everything else. The price I pay (with snows) is DSC going on under full-throttle shifts into 3rd on dry pavement.

The only real caveat to the 'xi cars is the ground clearance. Here's one thing to remember: AWD (4WD etc) only gets you stuck further in/up bad roads.
Sounds to me as if RWD with snows will be fine for you. BTW, I don't agree with those persons putting forth the rationale: "I don't like the weight/poorer handling of AWD, I want max performance of RWD." It's mostly bull****; no-one uses "max performance" on a day-to-day basis, and AWD has it's own plusses on the performance side that IMHO balance the equation.

As for changing wheel-sets (I think that's what you meant), all you need is a 17mm lug wrench and jack - and maybe a torque wrench if you don't want to tighten the lugs "by feel". Make sure the snow-tire set have TPMS monitors if you don't want the light on the dash.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
I live in Delaware.. doesn't snow much.. 3 yrs back, we had crazy snow.. don't remember about 2011-12 - I think it snowed moderately, but this last year, we had little snow.. I drive an Altima 2.5S right now, and had no problem at all this year.. but being the over-cautious customer, went with the xDrive per conventional wisdom- that says that since I tend to drive faster and more sportier than most drivers, xDrive will do it's part and make me 'safer'. Actually this was what my sister and mom said..
Oh, and this is my first bimmer - I have no idea when I read that when buying a bimmer, buy an RWD.. nice, but someone please care to explain? Meanwhile I am going to be searching nearby dealers for xDrive and non-xDrive models of a 335i...
The xDrive:
1. $2K adder
2. M sport package contains the DHP which lowers suspension 10 MM (1/2") under stock, AWD raises the height 10 MM (1/2") over stock so you will be 20 MM higher vs the DHP RWD, the argument would be you lose ground clearance for winter driving OR you lower the center of gravity for improved handling and the look of the wheels tucked up in the wheel well is much nicer!
3. Mileage automatic RWD 23/33 AWD TBD (I would guess 2-4% less? maybe 1 MPG)
4. AWD adds 155 lbs all on front end and changes the wieght distribution RWD 51.5/48.5% Front/Rear, AWD 52.6/47.4% Front/Rear
5. From a safety standpoint the AWD does not change how fast you brake, only how fast you accelerate! Why is it more expensive to insure 4-wheel drive trucks if they are safer?

If you had no trouble with the Altima, the nearly 50/50 weight distribution handles the snow pretty good. I drive an AWD because in Michigan we get quite a bit of snow and I drive 20K miles a year, but I do not think Delaware gets the regular snow falls we get in the midwest or the Michigan lake effect snow (had 1" today and flurries over the next two days).

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 01-22-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
I live in PA just north of you. I went with RWD. Im not getting snow tires either. All seasons suffice for me.

I vividly remember all that snow we got a couple years back. We had a 20" snow storm in Dec, and then a couple more 20"+ snow storms in Jan. I think we got them within the same week so the snow really piled up.

But honestly, you might not want to base anything on what I say, because i always have the option of taking our SUV when it's really bad out.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
..... AWD has it's own plusses on the performance side .....
FWIW-

When I was deciding on RWD vs AWD, I took into account my planned use of the car- driving on public roads, not planning to track the car, and not planning to do mods.

I chose AWD for 24/7/365 versatility, not just for snow.

Some aspects that helped sway my decision were-

* Reports on forums like this from early owners of xDrive Sportline / MSport F30s, equipped with DHS, saying there was little if any difference in driving feel on public roads compared to RWD. The F30 is the first 3 series sedan where you can get an optional suspension with AWD.

* AWD adds the ability to shift power between front and back in addition to having DSC. With this, it is more difficult to drift or slide an AWD car around a corner. My driving is on public roads, including weekend excursions on narrow twisty mountain roads with limited sight lines, and I wanted to minimize the chance of drifting / sliding.

* You don't need a staggered wheel setup. As I understand, everything else being equal, a staggered setup increases understeer.

I ordered Performance Summer Tires so that I got the increased top speed limiter. I since replaced the 225/45-18 OEM summer tires with 245/40-18 Potenza 960AS Run Flat Tires. Gives me wider, slightly lower profile tires at all four corners.

Bruce
Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Bruce, don't want to start a new topic.. but just wondering what is the difference that you feel between the summer and run flats? Are the RFT's all season tires?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Bruce, don't want to start a new topic.. but just wondering what is the difference that you feel between the summer and run flats? Are the RFT's all season tires?
The OEM tires were Goodyear Efficient Grip Y speed rated RFTs. Tirerack categorizes them as Grand Touring Summer. The replacements are Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT W speed rated which Tirerack categorizes as Ultra High Performance All Season. Reason I switched is I did not want to drive on summer tires during the winter, AWD notwithstanding.

The Potenzas have a slightly firmer feel, although ride is not harsh even in Sport mode.

Bruce
Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sport
Like someone already said above, AWD helps getting you to go forward (until you get stuck!). It really doesn't make you any safer cornering or stopping. Where I live, AWD could be an issue when avoiding having to put chains on, but we have an SUV for those times going up to the mountians. On the East Coast, I could rationalize the AWD system for winter driving. Go for it!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Assuming that I will get a dedicated set of snow tires anyway, should I go for xDrive or not? You can base your inputs on your experience and criteria like MPG, maintenance/service issues (please give examples), handling problems, etc..
I had similar concerns about these things when I bought my first AWD vehicle (a Subaru). I've found them to be non-issues.

Quote:
People in surrounding areas, do you have xDrive and don't use snow tires? How do you fare?
I can't comment as I'm not in the surrounding area.

Quote:
Have you ever wished you had xDrive when you actually were driving RWD with snow tires? Have you had situations where you stopped but couldn't go? - not for hilly roads.. just snow/slush, etc
When I had my 1999 328i I didn't think much about having RWD with snows (I live in Colorado). However after I bought my first AWD vehicle (the afore mentioned Subaru) I was amazed at the difference. And yes, there were plenty of times when I attempted to start from a stop on level ground in snow and the traction control would kick in. Made pulling out across traffic a nerve wracking experience. My Subaru handled the same conditions much better. While I didn't wish for AWD when I had RWD I definitely have observed its advantages now that I have it.

Normally I would say go with the AWD over RWD unless you have specific reasons not to. It does seem in your case you do have a reason to go with RWD as you're planning to track the car (I assume you're going to go with the sport package). Given this and the light snow conditions you've described RWD with snow tires should be fine for you.

Last edited by sunny5280; 01-22-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjgreer View Post
if you have snow tires either way, it's all about the hills in my opinion. You don't live in a hilly area, so i think you would be fine with a rwd car.
+1
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:

I have no idea how you're suffering in your car for 5 months out of the year in PA of all places. Seems pretty hyperbolic to me.

Anyway, OP, I'd recommend RWD unless you live in a VERY hilly area. The car was designed to be RWD, it will handle better and be more fun to drive for the 95% of the time when the roads aren't covered in snow.

As far as changing tires -- here's what you do. Buy a decent set of wheels and winter tires. Put winter tires on your stock rims and your summer tires on the new wheels you buy. The first time they are put on you will have to have them balanced. After that, buy a cheap floor jack and a torque wrench (can get a decent jack for ~75 and a decent wrench for ~30). Then when it's time to swap tires, don't pay someone to do it, just jack the car up and put the other set of tires on yourself. It will take you 10 minutes. You'll spread the wear and tear over 2 sets of tires and the money you spent on a decent jack and torque wrench will payoff for the rest of your life.

When buying winter tires, make sure you spend the coin to get a GOOD winter tire (see tirerack). There's a half dozen people I work with who all run winter tires on 328i's and 335's in the winter and they have 0 complaints.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
The xDrive:
1. $2K adder
2. M sport package contains the DHP which lowers suspension 10 MM (1/2") under stock, AWD raises the height 10 MM (1/2") over stock so you will be 20 MM higher vs the DHP RWD, the argument would be you lose ground clearance for winter driving OR you lower the center of gravity for improved handling and the look of the wheels tucked up in the wheel well is much nicer!
3. Mileage automatic RWD 23/33 AWD TBD (I would guess 2-4% less? maybe 1 MPG)
4. AWD adds 155 lbs all on front end and changes the wieght distribution RWD 51.5/48.5% Front/Rear, AWD 52.6/47.4% Front/Rear
5. From a safety standpoint the AWD does not change how fast you brake, only how fast you accelerate! Why is it more expensive to insure 4-wheel drive trucks if they are safer?

If you had no trouble with the Altima, the nearly 50/50 weight distribution handles the snow pretty good. I drive an AWD because in Michigan we get quite a bit of snow and I drive 20K miles a year, but I do not think Delaware gets the regular snow falls we get in the midwest or the Michigan lake effect snow (had 1" today and flurries over the next two days).
That pretty much sums up most of the downside of AWD. In addition if you plan on tracking the car, RWD is preferable.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
Anyway, OP, I'd recommend RWD unless you live in a VERY hilly area. The car was designed to be RWD, it will handle better and be more fun to drive for the 95% of the time when the roads aren't covered in snow.
I have to disagree with this when it comes to the vast majority of drivers. The AWD car is a blast to drive and is more than capable for the majority of drivers out there. I've owned both and have never wanted for RWD since buying the AWD version.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
I have no idea how you're suffering in your car for 5 months out of the year in PA of all places. Seems pretty hyperbolic to me.
Because I'm running snows from Nov to March when we get 15-50 degree days all over the place, most of the time nice and dry, and my 235/45/17 snow tires lose a tremendous amount of steering feel, braking, and dry traction?

Because my straight line stability on the highway and high speed stability are reduced?

Because DSC kicks in ALL THE FREAKING TIME?

Seriously - at 3000 rpms in 5th gear if i floor it DSC kicks in. That is prime-time highway speed and I often go WOT....

So yes, because it's RWD on snows, I am suffering an inferior driving experience.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Because I'm running snows from Nov to March when we get 15-50 degree days all over the place, most of the time nice and dry, and my 235/45/17 snow tires lose a tremendous amount of steering feel, braking, and dry traction?

Because my straight line stability on the highway and high speed stability are reduced?

Seriously - at 3000 rpms in 5th gear if i floor it DSC kicks in. That is prime-time highway speed and I often go WOT....

So yes, because it's RWD on snows, I am suffering an inferior driving experience.
What tires are you using? How does the weight of winter wheels compare to summer ones? What summer tires do you run?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 AM

Winter setup: Rial Salerno 17x8 wheels (bit lighter than my OEM wheels with summer tires) running newish continental contiextreme wintercontact's, a pretty good SNOW tire.

Summer setup: 18x8 front, 18x9 rear OEM style 65s shod in almost new sumitomo HTR III Z fronts and michelin pilot super sports rear.

I really am not sure who your questions have a bearing on what I'm saying, but there ya go
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:

Ahhh, one of the "benefits" of AWD. I haven't ever had the DSC kick in unless i purposely fishtailed on slush or ice.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
I had similar concerns about these things when I bought my first AWD vehicle (a Subaru). I've found them to be non-issues.

I can't comment as I'm not in the surrounding area.

When I had my 1999 328i I didn't think much about having RWD with snows (I live in Colorado). However after I bought my first AWD vehicle (the afore mentioned Subaru) I was amazed at the difference. And yes, there were plenty of times when I attempted to start from a stop on level ground in snow and the traction control would kick in. Made pulling out across traffic a nerve wracking experience. My Subaru handled the same conditions much better. While I didn't wish for AWD when I had RWD I definitely have observed its advantages now that I have it.

Normally I would say go with the AWD over RWD unless you have specific reasons not to. It does seem in your case you do have a reason to go with RWD as you're planning to track the car (I assume you're going to go with the sport package). Given this and the light snow conditions you've described RWD with snow tires should be fine for you.
Thanks for your response, but I said I am not interested in tracking the car. I do have the msport package.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I live in PA just north of you. I went with RWD. Im not getting snow tires either. All seasons suffice for me.

I vividly remember all that snow we got a couple years back. We had a 20" snow storm in Dec, and then a couple more 20"+ snow storms in Jan. I think we got them within the same week so the snow really piled up.

But honestly, you might not want to base anything on what I say, because i always have the option of taking our SUV when it's really bad out.

Same here. I live in bucks county, went with RWD/Summer tires. Dry/Rain, Car is great. Any kind of snow/slush/ice/etc...,it sucks as expected. This winter, i've only had 2 days so far, where it was unpleasant/unsafe to drive. Both times i parked the car, and just didn't drive those days. If I lived in a climate that consistently had this kind of weather, i'd opt for AWD, or probably would have bought an SUV (which i hate), or just stuck with Subaru's. But in this area, Mid-atlantic/Delaware Valley, we have a temperate climate, so we don't get a whole lot of snow/ice on the average. If out of 365 days a year, my car is useless 5-10 of them, I'll take those odds.

I'm of the mindset BMWs, esp. 335s, are better as a RWD. Really, go with what you like. If the extra 2K in price is something you're ok with, and the extra weight, lack of a sport suspension isn't a problem for you, then the Xdrive should be fine.. However, I don't think it's a necessity to have in our area.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM

I have read a lot of times that the DSC kicks in - what happens when it kicks in? How does it reduce the driving feel, comfort of the car? Pardon me , but this is my first bimmer.. need help to understand. Thanks!