Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-05-2016, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330CI
150K 2004 BMW Coupe 330CI

she just turned 150K debating if I should get rid of her or keeper. she runs great just normal maintenance so far. what is the average cost of maintaining a lady with this mileage? anything I should be watching out for? thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
So....you`ve been here for almost six years, and now you`re telling us you haven`t learned anything in all that time ???
All you have to do is read the forum, and you`ll see exactly what goes wrong with these cars....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-05-2016, 10:49 AM

Thanks -Yeah I did learn a few things like these cars are high maintenance so spending Money is the norm. I also learned not to take everyone opinion on this forum because not everyone is an expert .
Old 03-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebe View Post
Thanks -Yeah I did learn a few things like these cars are high maintenance so spending Money is the norm.
No, that's not the part we intend to have you listen to.
How about seeing that it is not uncommon for guys to go over 200K miles by paying attention to PM'ing the items outlined on this forum. My car is at eleven years and 120k miles and it looks and drives close to new AFAIC.
Also pick up on the attitude that most of us here realize that owning an e46 is one of the pinnacles of BMW ownership in a lifetime, so it is our goal to make this stop last as long as we can.

Or sell your car and make someone else a very happy e46 driver!

And please direct me to a forum where everyone is an expert?

Last edited by GoForthFast; 03-05-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:03 AM

Or sell your car and make someone else a very happy e46 driver!

GoForthFast Thanks for the wisdom and the reply. I do hear about many E46 owners driving 200K plus on this forum so that is really encouraging to me. I realize how much I love this car and came close to selling it at 100K( many takers) but could not part with it. owned this car for 10 years now purchased as a certified Pre-own from dealer 10K on it. Aside from some check engine lights every now and then it seems to stand the test of time. Buying new cost a whole bunch of money and maintaining what you got cost money so that's inevitable.

I do use a Indy shop that I trust and my local dealer gives free 21 point inspections and seem a lot better since they were acquired by Penske.

Thanks again

Last edited by joebe; 11-23-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Zero. Leaks.

Mein Auto: 02 330i 6MT
Have the car inspected and if major things that need replacing (suspension, control arms, tie rods brakes, rear bushings) that add up to a thousand or more then decide if you want to repair it or sell the car.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:44 AM

Have the car inspected

Yes, that is my intention really don't want to dump lots of money in the car. Right now my two front tires are warring down around the outer edge and they are fairly new tires ( (Hankook V2 concepts )less then 20K miles they say steering alignment needs to be done.

Last edited by joebe; 11-23-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:56 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2002 330i ZSP
Quote:
Yes, that is my intention really don't want to dump lots of money in the car. Right now my two front tires are warring down around the outer edge and they are fairly new tires ( (Hankook V2 concepts )less then 20K miles they say steering alignment needs to be done.
Alignment is off, but also it likely needs at a minimum control arm bushings. They probably won't be able to align it until you fix what's wrong, there will be too much movement in old, worn parts. I averaged $2500 per year in parts on my ZHP. That's what it took to keep it running factory fresh plus some extras I did. Realistically,$1200-1700 is a good number for annual maintenance.

My Nissan, while a bore to drive and the Bain of my exisitence, has cost me $120 in 2 years (front brakes, valve cover gasket, plugs) of ownership. I miss my BMW, but enjoy all the extra cash in my wallet.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 03-06-2016, 04:59 PM

150K 2004 BMW Coupe 330CI***8207;

Thanks -I had changed control arm bushings a number of years ago there was way to much play. These bushings seem to wear out fast.

I think $2500 is realistic number from what I am seeing. I like the $120 for 2 years number a whole lot better but hey its the ultimate driving machine .

excuse my ignorance can you buy a ZHP package from the dealer or do you add it on yourself?
Old 03-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Thanks -I had changed control arm bushings a number of years ago there was way to much play. These bushings seem to wear out fast.

I think $2500 is realistic number from what I am seeing. I like the $120 for 2 years number a whole lot better but hey its the ultimate driving machine .

excuse my ignorance can you buy a ZHP package from the dealer or do you add it on yourself?
My original CABs were gone by 25,000 miles....

Re: a DIY ZHP....no, not possible (well, it IS "possible", but I don`t think you would want to pay that bill) ZHP was a $4000 option, it would cost considerably more if you tried to duplicate it....there`s a lot more to it than simply appearance items....cams, engine management system, exhaust, diff, and more. See the Wiki for the 18 ZHP-specific items which come with the package.

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-06-2016, 07:36 PM

Zhp

ZHP is very Nice!, I would think the M3 series may have these upgrades.

Going to the shop this week for steering alignment prob new CABs who knows, and new front tires.

Looking for good all season tires.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
ZHP is very Nice!, I would think the M3 series may have these upgrades.

Going to the shop this week for steering alignment prob new CABs who knows, and new front tires.

Looking for good all season tires.
Make sure they check the steering giubo (aka/flex disc) as well, a worn one will contribute to the problem.
Good luck !

Continental DWS tires have gotten many rave reviews on this forum (and others)....they seem to do everything right....

Old 03-07-2016, 05:02 AM

'150K 2004 BMW Coupe 330CI

Thanks! I will have them check that if they don't already know hoping they do since they work on a lot of German cars.

I will also check out those Tires, this is why I do like coming to this site/forum .

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search