Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335, 2013 328
Dash/glove box door rattling

Has anyone else experienced their dash or glove box door rattling? When the car is cold mine does this. I took it into the dealer and the tech said they could not reproduce the problem, but they did not drive the car so I am not surprised.

Any suggestions for curing this problem?
Ads by Google
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sport
Yes, mine has started doing it (4K miles). It doesn't start until after about 2 minutes of driving and seems to be temperature related. My wife sat there while we were driving and pulled everything out of the glove box and it didn't really help matters. When I have been driving by myself, I found that pushing on the bottom or top of the door (while closed) quiets it. We are going to try some of those small, self-adhesive kitchen cabinet door protectors to try and tighted things up there.

Another squeak has started in the drivers seat when my wife has it pulled far forward when she is driving. Sounds like it's coming from the mechanism under the seat.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM

I wish mine waited until it got 4K miles to start to do this. Mine started at 44 miles, the morning after I got it home from the dealer. It has 700 miles now and it is getting louder. I am a few miles south of you in Pleasanton, and this latest cold spell really made it rattle.

Just like yours if I press really hard on the door the rattle goes away. Once the interior heats up it seems to get quieter. I guess I will have to look at taping the glove box shut shut. Or inserting some foam. This is not making me a fan of BMW. The lease on my other BMW (335) is up in a year and I don't think we are going to look at BMW again because of quality issue (rattles, creaks going a bump, window/sun roof leaks) with that car. Maybe BMW should hire some quality engineers from Toyota.

Last edited by jerrykur; 01-22-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
I wish mine waited until it got 4K miles to start to do this. Mine started at 44 miles, the morning after I got it home from the dealer. It has 700 miles now and it is getting louder. I am a few miles south of you in Pleasanton, and this latest cold spell really made it rattle.

Just like yours if I press really hard on the door the rattle goes away. Once the interior heats up it seems to get quieter. I guess I will have to look at taping the glove box shut shut. Or inserting some foam. This is not making me a fan of BMW. The lease on my other BMW (335) is up in a year and I don't think we are going to look at BMW again because of quality issue (rattles, creaks going a bump, window/sun roof leaks) with that car. Maybe BMW should hire some quality engineers from Toyota.
Toyota led the industry in recalls again!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post

This is an easy fix. You need to take the car back to the dealer. Make it clear to them you expect the issue to be resolved and they will keep seeing you and your car until it is. Along with getting less than favorable survey responses.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This is an easy fix. You need to take the car back to the dealer. Make it clear to them you expect the issue to be resolved and they will keep seeing you and your car until it is. Along with getting less than favorable survey responses.
I am scheduling an appointment, but the problem may be more complex. It seems that the rattling is just coming from somewhere in the passenger side dash, and not necessarily just the glove box assembly.

But, as you suggest I plan on staying on them until they get it fixed. I don't care if they have to replace the entire dash assembly. Maybe they left out a few pieces or dropped some screws when the assembled the car in South Africa.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrykur; 01-24-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Did you ever find out what the problem is? Mine is doing something similar.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM

See this thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...696&highlight=

Essentially you need to reach about an inch back from under the front edge of the bottom of the glove box door. You should feel a flat plastic piece. If you run your hand to the side you will feel some a nut on each side. Tighten these.

If you want to see the nuts you need to figure out a way to put your head under the glove box. When you do that look up and toward the glove box door. You will see the plastic piece and the nuts.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 3 Series Wagon (F31)
Good suggestion on another thread ..... make a video and record the sound with your smartphone and show it to the Service Advisor ........
BMW CCA #257