Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Sirius radio activation when I-pod interface present

I have a 2007 X3. I have purchased from another BMW Car Club member, the BMW OEM Sirius radio module. I have followed the instructions for installation, of which the car is pre-wired and the plugs and mounting bracket are already in the back of the car. I have mounted the unit and also performed the exchange of the plug in the back of the radio, which is also already there and pre-wired. After these installations, I have been unable to activate the sirius and was wondering if because I have a BavSound I-pod integration unit, if I should unplug the I-pod while trying to activate the Sirius or not. Anybody done any aftermarket installation like this? From all that I read, there is no additional steps to perform to install the Sirius module, so this is the only thing I can think of that might interfere.
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
I think you have to choose between Sirius or the iPod integration... the options I researched didn't allow for both.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM

Sirius radio module activation and I pod integration

I am learning more after my post of last week. Apparently, if you add Sirius radio to your Bimmer and already have i-pod integration, then there is a different cable you have to buy (which is a BMW OEM part). The new cable replaces the existing cable that goes to your I-pod.

The BMW part number is 84-11-0-141-978. My local dealer wanted $39.95 for the cable, but it is available through Bavarian Auto for $16.95 and IS an OEM part. They have access to both aftermarket BMW parts (which they handle exclusively parts for BMW's) and they have access to obtaining OEM parts as well.

So, I have ordered the cable and hope that it will solve my problem as outlined.

Now, my next task is getting the Sirius module functioning. I have the BMW installation instructions and have followed them completely. So, far the radio is not going to the default channel, only continuing to blink the message "acquiring".

There is another part mentioned entitled the "installation kit" under part number 84-11-0-390-240, which the dealer is pricing at $50. However, a few firms have stated that the installation kit is only the printed instructions, which I have, but can hardly believe that printed instructions would cost $50. So, I am trying to find someone that can tell me what is in the installation kit?

Thanks for any information!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
If things haven't changed in 4 years, the installation kit had -Mounting bracket, bolts & one electrical adapter
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM

Sirius radio OEM module

From what I can learn, the installation kit contains a screw,clip nut,bolt and antenna connector. It is the attenna connector that makes it a required part of the installtion. Wow, pretty expensive for what is in the kit.

Thanks for writing back!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
Regarding the connector, I remember a discussion a few years back about it (unfortunately, although its on the forum, I canít find it) one member hot wired it, but one other who didnít need the mounting bracket just went to his dealer, and they sold him a connector - so may be worth a shot