Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Anyone ever tried these brakes / rotors?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221000504223...84.m1423.l2649

If anyone has ever bought this exact kit, are the brakes and rotors good, bad, or what? Apparently, they've sold a ton of these kits so surely someone has tried them out.

Member No. 470379
Ads by Google
Old 01-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Well, the ad copy certainly makes them sound inviting....USA made, good pricing....sounds like a winning combination. Even though I`m not a fan of the drilled & slotted rotors, I`d say they`re worth trying.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Well, the ad copy certainly makes them sound inviting....USA made, good pricing....sounds like a winning combination. Even though I`m not a fan of the drilled & slotted rotors, I`d say they`re worth trying.
The price has my eye more than anything. Even the cheapest setup from Advanced is nearly twice the price. The same drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads at bavauto are three times as much! I'm just concerned that the low price might be a reflection of low quality. By the time they pay shipping and include the pad sensors, I just don't see a lot of profit. And typically, the old adage "you get what you pay for" is a very true statement.

Member No. 470379

Last edited by halltristan; 01-21-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
I have not used them but my reaction from what they say in the ad is NO! If you do use them, please report back after say 10,000 miles.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
I have not used them but my reaction from what they say in the ad is NO! If you do use them, please report back after say 10,000 miles.
Exactly WHAT sets off that little red light in your head ?

The excellent ad copy ?

The one-year warranty ?

The price ?

The free shipping ?

The fact that this seller has over 96 THOUSAND positive feedbacks ?????

They can`t be fu@king TOO many customers with a record like that....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Exactly WHAT sets off that little red light in your head ?

The excellent ad copy ?

The one-year warranty ?

The price ?

The free shipping ?

The fact that this seller has over 96 THOUSAND positive feedbacks ?????

They can`t be fu@king TOO many customers with a record like that....
So you have never used them either I take it. There where a few red flags. Try them and report back. You are already sold on them. After all, excellent ad copy, one-year warranty, price, free shipping, 96 THOUSAND positive feedbacks, a fu@king record like that, People Magazine....... all should be trusted
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Well... maybe it's difficult to become trusted well known brand. Need to sell cheap in the beginning. Anyway should find someone who tried them in e46 to really know how they are. Opinions from Toyota/Nissan people don't count so much.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
So you have never used them either I take it. There where a few red flags Try them and report back. l:
Enlighten us....please. If this looks to you like anything other than a legit offer, let us know why....

Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
They're not shipping to Finland so i don't need to care... but might be that they're ok.
Probably not best in the world, but possibly they can stop the car and eventually they need to be replaced with new ones just like always.
And most people don't do racing, they want them drilled and slotted just for looks.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Enlighten us....please. If this looks to you like anything other than a legit offer, let us know why....
I thought it was obvious. Poor castings, bad machining, obvious defects in design such as 'drilled', cold zinc coating on the whole darn thing, mistaken CFs, destructive testing (at least picture) of some one elses product, G3000 (not the best, but not the worst either), rotor warping... I could go on.

I don't think they will kill anyone. I even told the OP that I had not used them and to give them a try and let us know after they put some time on them.

There are pictures of them cracked on forums that they sponsor. Such as this one:

Notice also the clogged holes in the rotor as well.

Really, try them! I am not discouraging any one in any way. They are so cheap that what do you have to loose.

Just don't ask me to babysit OK? I gave the OP my honest opinion of the product.

Last edited by rdorman; 01-21-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
I thought it was obvious. Poor castings, bad machining, obvious defects in design such as 'drilled', cold zinc coating on the whole darn thing, mistaken CFs, destructive testing (at least picture) of some one elses product, G3000 (not the best, but not the worst either), rotor warping... I could go on.
Where are you getting your information from? How do you know that they are poorly casted, made with defects, bad machining, etc? Are you just assuming that something is wrong because the deal seems too good to be true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
And most people don't do racing, they want them drilled and slotted just for looks.
The drilled rotors look good but that's not what I'm interested in; this is much cheaper than even standard rotors / pads.

Member No. 470379

Last edited by halltristan; 01-22-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I agree with Bob in that they would be worth trying for that price. But I'd pass if it was my bimmer. You should be able to get an OEM replacement kit (meaning brembo or zimmerman blanks and pads) from oembimmerparts.com for $300 or less.

I did install a set of these cheap cross drilled rotors on a mini cooper for a lady once (which has BMW brakes on it, rotor stamped with BMW even) and they warped within 6k miles. While I don't believe you always "get what you pay for" and deals can be had, when it is just way too good to be true, there is usually a reason. And brakes are one of the BEST parts of your BMW (not to mention most important), why skimp?

I can understand the money part, I am poor. But you'd be better off replacing just the fronts with quality items and throwing some cheap pads on the rears till you can afford better, IMO.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
OP-

I work with a guy who ordered this exact brand from the same maker on Ebay back in the fall for his Mustang GT and he swears by them. He was skeptical of the price like you were, but has been giving me updates every couple thousand miles and still likes them. He also showed me that they make them for the E46 as well, so Ive been waiting for my brakes to wear out but I am thinking of eventually trying this too.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
Where are you getting your information from? How do you know that they are poorly casted, made with defects, bad machining, etc? Are you just assuming that something is wrong because the deal seems too good to be true?

The drilled rotors look good but that's not what I'm interested in; this is much cheaper than even standard rotors / pads.
I don't know why you posted in the first place if you don't want some information. Should I PM a resume? Do you have eyes? Did I suggest give them a try and let us known what you think?

OR was it just that you wanted mommy to approve. Stop by and ask her... Bet she will.

For cryin out loud people do you really want information and knowledge? Is this OT?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I agree with Bob in that they would be worth trying for that price. But I'd pass if it was my bimmer.
Another in agreement................ Samething I said.

Last edited by rdorman; 01-22-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I agree with Bob in that they would be worth trying for that price. But I'd pass if it was my bimmer. You should be able to get an OEM replacement kit (meaning brembo or zimmerman blanks and pads) from oembimmerparts.com for $300 or less.

I did install a set of these cheap cross drilled rotors on a mini cooper for a lady once (which has BMW brakes on it, rotor stamped with BMW even) and they warped within 6k miles. While I don't believe you always "get what you pay for" and deals can be had, when it is just way too good to be true, there is usually a reason. And brakes are one of the BEST parts of your BMW (not to mention most important), why skimp?

I can understand the money part, I am poor. But you'd be better off replacing just the fronts with quality items and throwing some cheap pads on the rears till you can afford better, IMO.
Off topic, congrats Bama! Most impressive
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't know why you posted in the first place if you don't want some information. Should I PM a resume? Do you have eyes? Did I suggest give them a try and let us known what you think?

OR was it just that you wanted mommy to approve. Stop by and ask her... Bet she will.

For cryin out loud people do you really want information and knowledge? Is this OT?
So instead of providing sources, you post crap. Obviously you're just guessing about the items and wasting our time. But hey, at least we no longer have to wonder about who gets the "douchbag of day" award, so its not a total loss. Here's your prize:

Member No. 470379
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Keeping it surreal

A couple of pertinent facts here:

This seller has been on eBay for 9 years, has in excess of 96,000 (!) feedbacks, including 3,000+ repeat buyers. and a Positive Feedback rating of 99.8%. That kind of track record does NOT reflect a fly-by-night vendor who hawks sh!t products....

Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
A couple of pertinent facts here:

This seller has been on eBay for 9 years, has in excess of 96,000 (!) feedbacks, including 3,000+ repeat buyers. and a Positive Feedback rating of 99.8%. That kind of track record does NOT reflect a fly-by-night vendor who hawks sh!t products....
All facts. But in the world of Ebay, nothing. Not even close. There are sellers with dozens and dozens of times positive feedback. Ever tried to leave a negative or even neutral feedback? Pain in the ........

Ebay protects whom they make money from.

Sure it should be FastBob
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
All facts. But in the world of Ebay, nothing. Not even close. There are sellers with dozens and dozens of times positive feedback. Ever tried to leave a negative or even neutral feedback? Pain in the ........

Ebay protects whom they make money from.

Sure it should be FastBob
I believe that sound we all hear is your ass sucking wind....

Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfTheLost View Post
OP-

I work with a guy who ordered this exact brand from the same maker on Ebay back in the fall for his Mustang GT and he swears by them. He was skeptical of the price like you were, but has been giving me updates every couple thousand miles and still likes them. He also showed me that they make them for the E46 as well, so Ive been waiting for my brakes to wear out but I am thinking of eventually trying this too.
I googled the seller and found a couple videos of people testing the kit and quite a few forum threads. From everything that I have found, the seller and the rotors/pads check out; people seem to be very happy with them. The only complaints I've seen at all is simply where a few people received the wrong rotors. Of course, a mistake like that doesn't reflect on the quality of the product though.

I believe I'm going to give these a shot. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller on a few things and I'll probably order the kit sometime tomorrow.

Quote:
LOL.

Member No. 470379

Last edited by halltristan; 01-22-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
[QUOTE=halltristan;7330199]I googled the seller and found a couple videos of people testing the kit and quite a few forum threads. From everything that I have found, the seller and the rotors/pads check out; people seem to be very happy with them. The only complaints I've seen at all is simply where a few people received the wrong rotors. Of course, a mistake like that doesn't reflect on the quality of the product though.

I believe I'm going to give these a shot. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller on a few things and I'll probably order the kit sometime tomorrow.

You will have to keep me/everyone updated after you get them put on and tested out. I am interested to hear your thoughts on performance and quality.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
So instead of providing sources, you post crap. Obviously you're just guessing about the items and wasting our time. But hey, at least we no longer have to wonder about who gets the "douchbag of day" award, so its not a total loss. Here's your prize:
Thanks. I am sure your mother would approve of your decision. I really hope you are not doing these yourself.

Last edited by rdorman; 01-22-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
From what I have read SlowBob, you have 25,000 posts just like that. Oops, sorry, nearly 29,000 posts just like that. Get out much?

Last edited by rdorman; 01-22-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
From what I have read SlowBob, you have 25,000 posts just like that. Oops, sorry, nearly 29,000 posts just like that. Get out much?
You are not very smart, are you? Bob wasn't made a moderator because he is an ass, (he is and we love him for it), he is a moderator because he knows his **** and has been a major contributer to this forum.

So how about you STFU on stuff you know nothing about.