Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Excessive white cloud of smoke from left tailpipe

I just bought a brand new 2013 BMW X5. When I am starting the car in the morning, huge white cloud of smoke continue blowing out of the left tailpipe for about 5 minutes, I could see it from the rear mirror and camara. I took the car to BMW service, they said it's not excessive. I don't see any of the new or old cars on the road blowing white smoke like that, but my new BMW X5 just bought 1 week ago. What I should do next?
Ads by Google
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: M5
Does it only happen in the morning after the car has sat out all night or after every startup?

Sure the smoke is white and not blue or black?

Did the dealer note any errors from the car's computer?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Yes, in the morning or a completely cold start, the white cloud of smoke is extrmely big. The smoke is totally white. I am not sure how to check if dealer note any error on car's computer.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM

By the way, there is no noted error on car's computer.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
That's normal, only when rpm go up to certain level,it'll open up the right side of exhaust.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
There is white smoke that lingers for a while and then there is just white smoke that goes away once it mixes with the cold air.
If the white smoke lingers for a while then you have problems and need to contact your dealer.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Unequal exhaust from the left and rear pipes is normal and not anything to worry about.

Really excessive white smoke can be a sign of a head gasket problem, allowing coolant to get into the combustion chamber. If it is coolant that is causing the smoke, one way to tell is to wipe you finger around the inside of the exhaust pipe. It is normal for there to be residue there, but if it is a liquid residue and feels quite slippery when you rub your fingers together, it is a sign of coolant in the exhaust.

White smoke can also be a symptom of condensation in the exhaust system due to cold weather and short-trips, such that the exhaust system doesn't get hot enough to keep condensation from forming. This also would be considered "normal" operation. But if it is condensation from the water byproduct of the exhaust, the residue in the pipe might be liquid, but would not be particularly slippery.

A head gasket leak would not necessarily set-off a check engine light or warning, unless it got bad enough it began fouling the spark plug or downstream sensors.

Dealers can easily check this by using test strips or an instrument to see if there are any exhaust gases in the coolant.

Last edited by Penguin; 01-23-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
^^
White smoke is a sign of coolant getting into cylinders and evaporating.
BMWs are known for head gasket problems (and general cooling issues). You may have a problem on your hand.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
^^
White smoke is a sign of coolant getting into cylinders and evaporating.
BMWs are known for head gasket problems (and general cooling issues). You may have a problem on your hand.
I have the same problem during cold start. I don't think its head gasket problem. I got mine just been 4 days. I have noticed the same. According to me it's too new and has no carbon yet it should get better later. I'll take to dealer to get it Checked and will update.

X5 2013 Black/Cinnmon 3row,cold weather,technology.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport
temperature must be cold in your area recently....we get that all the time up here in northern alberta. too much white smoke that you cant even see the road if a vehicle is accelerating in front of you.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
take a video and post it

take a video and post it
hers mine...white exhaust smoke everyday...its still cold out. give it a bit.
if u do a proper break in, u should be fine!
beides ur in NJ...its frigid out there now!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 01-24-2013 at 10:28 AM.