Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is online now
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,518
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
"Nano-Diamond shield". Once-a-year miracle Protectant as advertised?

http://www.nanodiamondshield.com/

Saw this stuff while slumming it at Pep Boys. Apparently it's a nano glass based spray on wax substitute that takes a few minutes to apply and lasts a year. They even claim you won't have to use soap on your car when washing it thereafter. Sounds like a similar idea to Opticoat yet of course technically a different type of substance.

I was sure it'd be nonsense but saw some people reporting good results online.

Any believers?
__________________
'13 F10 BMW 535i Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Die Wolfe's Avatar
Die Wolfe Die Wolfe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,050
Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
http://www.nanodiamondshield.com/

Saw this stuff while slumming it at Pep Boys. Apparently it's a nano glass based spray on wax substitute that takes a few minutes to apply and lasts a year. They even claim you won't have to use soap on your car when washing it thereafter. Sounds like a similar idea to Opticoat yet of course technically a different type of substance.

I was sure it'd be nonsense but saw some people reporting good results online.

Any believers?
Only one way to find out! Haha, I'm always skeptical of these products but I'm curious now too...
__________________
2013 BMW X5///M
2012 BMW 535i M Sport

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 AM
schnell525 schnell525 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Niebelungenland
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,190
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
KA,

I have a Dark Graphite Metallic II and here's what I have planned (I the bulk of my stuff from Phil at detailersdomain.com). He's a forum sponsor and I've been buying from him for years.

I have a PC as well as a Flex. I have the corresponding pads.

The key is to have the right buffing pads/polishing materials (I like Menzerna) and a good topcoat. Again, I think Menzerna's Power Lock is one the best products on the market.

Once a good base wash, clay, wash, polish, sealant is done you have a "base" that will last a season. Your car is jet, so it's going to need the ability to not show swirls.

That relies on technique when polishing, and top-coating. How you wash is a big issue. Uber make shure you use a grit guard in your bucket. A pressure washer is helpful to get rid of the crap on the surface, wheels, and underneath before starting the wash. I use P21S shampoo to wash the car. If you do a good prep with clay, polish, topcoat your car will be awesome.

Good luck!
__________________
12 550xi
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is online now
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,518
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
KA,

I have a Dark Graphite Metallic II and here's what I have planned (I the bulk of my stuff from Phil at detailersdomain.com). He's a forum sponsor and I've been buying from him for years.

I have a PC as well as a Flex. I have the corresponding pads.

The key is to have the right buffing pads/polishing materials (I like Menzerna) and a good topcoat. Again, I think Menzerna's Power Lock is one the best products on the market.

Once a good base wash, clay, wash, polish, sealant is done you have a "base" that will last a season. Your car is jet, so it's going to need the ability to not show swirls.

That relies on technique when polishing, and top-coating. How you wash is a big issue. Uber make shure you use a grit guard in your bucket. A pressure washer is helpful to get rid of the crap on the surface, wheels, and underneath before starting the wash. I use P21S shampoo to wash the car. If you do a good prep with clay, polish, topcoat your car will be awesome.

Good luck!
Thanks, Schnell! Will definitely take that advice to the brain. Still figuring this stuff out. Man was I good at keeping a white car pristine though!
__________________
'13 F10 BMW 535i Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
took me forever to convince you on the BMW 24 month lease, now it will be the same for opti-coat.
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is online now
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,518
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
took me forever to convince you on the BMW 24 month lease, now it will be the same for opti-coat.
I should just take your word from step one, LOL.

Oh well, a $140 mistake just two weeks into the car, and I'm still learning.

I will probably Opticoat it next time, just hate to invest that kind of dough in a car that's such a short lease.... unless I buy it afterward.
__________________
'13 F10 BMW 535i Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms