Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
"Nano-Diamond shield". Once-a-year miracle Protectant as advertised?

http://www.nanodiamondshield.com/

Saw this stuff while slumming it at Pep Boys. Apparently it's a nano glass based spray on wax substitute that takes a few minutes to apply and lasts a year. They even claim you won't have to use soap on your car when washing it thereafter. Sounds like a similar idea to Opticoat yet of course technically a different type of substance.

I was sure it'd be nonsense but saw some people reporting good results online.

Any believers?

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Ads by Google
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
http://www.nanodiamondshield.com/

Saw this stuff while slumming it at Pep Boys. Apparently it's a nano glass based spray on wax substitute that takes a few minutes to apply and lasts a year. They even claim you won't have to use soap on your car when washing it thereafter. Sounds like a similar idea to Opticoat yet of course technically a different type of substance.

I was sure it'd be nonsense but saw some people reporting good results online.

Any believers?
Only one way to find out! Haha, I'm always skeptical of these products but I'm curious now too...

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
KA,

I have a Dark Graphite Metallic II and here's what I have planned (I the bulk of my stuff from Phil at detailersdomain.com). He's a forum sponsor and I've been buying from him for years.

I have a PC as well as a Flex. I have the corresponding pads.

The key is to have the right buffing pads/polishing materials (I like Menzerna) and a good topcoat. Again, I think Menzerna's Power Lock is one the best products on the market.

Once a good base wash, clay, wash, polish, sealant is done you have a "base" that will last a season. Your car is jet, so it's going to need the ability to not show swirls.

That relies on technique when polishing, and top-coating. How you wash is a big issue. Uber make shure you use a grit guard in your bucket. A pressure washer is helpful to get rid of the crap on the surface, wheels, and underneath before starting the wash. I use P21S shampoo to wash the car. If you do a good prep with clay, polish, topcoat your car will be awesome.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
KA,

I have a Dark Graphite Metallic II and here's what I have planned (I the bulk of my stuff from Phil at detailersdomain.com). He's a forum sponsor and I've been buying from him for years.

I have a PC as well as a Flex. I have the corresponding pads.

The key is to have the right buffing pads/polishing materials (I like Menzerna) and a good topcoat. Again, I think Menzerna's Power Lock is one the best products on the market.

Once a good base wash, clay, wash, polish, sealant is done you have a "base" that will last a season. Your car is jet, so it's going to need the ability to not show swirls.

That relies on technique when polishing, and top-coating. How you wash is a big issue. Uber make shure you use a grit guard in your bucket. A pressure washer is helpful to get rid of the crap on the surface, wheels, and underneath before starting the wash. I use P21S shampoo to wash the car. If you do a good prep with clay, polish, topcoat your car will be awesome.

Good luck!
Thanks, Schnell! Will definitely take that advice to the brain. Still figuring this stuff out. Man was I good at keeping a white car pristine though!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
took me forever to convince you on the BMW 24 month lease, now it will be the same for opti-coat.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
took me forever to convince you on the BMW 24 month lease, now it will be the same for opti-coat.
I should just take your word from step one, LOL.

Oh well, a $140 mistake just two weeks into the car, and I'm still learning.

I will probably Opticoat it next time, just hate to invest that kind of dough in a car that's such a short lease.... unless I buy it afterward.