Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
Tire & Wheel Insurance, Should I or not?

I picked up my 550i at the dealer today after waiting for 8 weeks, I was set to get the T&W insurance since I've heard so many stories about the problems with GY LS2. But since mine is not AWD and came with Dunlop Sports so I decided to pass for the $1,300 3-year insurance.

Did I make a mistake? Is it too late or should I try to get a third-party insurance? Anyone out there with Dunlop please share your positive or negative feeback.

Thanks.
BMW CCA member. 2012 550i M Sports, Carbon Black/Cinnamon Brown leather/Aluminum Hexagon trim/ZLS. Dinan springs, Xpel paint protect film, Llumar tint. Retired: 2009 535i, 2006 530i, 2003 X5, 1998 318i
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
My dealer gave me a 30 day window to decide. Given the price of tires, rims, their propensity to bend, bubble etc., I think its worth it. Depends on how long the insurance is, what it covers etc. Ask your dealer if you can still qualify if it's bothering you.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix
I do three year leases and always get the tire insurance. Even got it on my '08 528ix. that had 18 inch wheels. Paid just over $1200 for the three year coverage on my '11 and seems to at least break even. Plus peace of mind that won't have to come up with 400-1000 for one or two tires and rims due to terrible potholes in the northeast. This year's pot holes don't seem too bad with the mild winter.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6
Get it. You won't regret it.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: '10 M5
I'd personally not get the insurance, and instead immediately replace the RFTs with proper tires. If the wheel then deforms when you hit a pothole, I'd simply require that BMW cover the wheel under warranty or threaten to take them to small claims court. They'd quickly bend given all the publicized instances of damaged wheels, and you'd ultimately save yourself a ton of time and headaches (as the regular tires are less likely to get damaged than RFTs - so you'll ultimately experience a much better ride, and much less downtime associated with the vehicle being in a tire shop/at the dealer getting repaired).

I can't believe the number of folks who spend $s on insurance when the product itself is flawed - you're playing right into BMW's money-making hands!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhs156 View Post
I'd personally not get the insurance, and instead immediately replace the RFTs with proper tires. If the wheel then deforms when you hit a pothole, I'd simply require that BMW cover the wheel under warranty or threaten to take them to small claims court. They'd quickly bend given all the publicized instances of damaged wheels, and you'd ultimately save yourself a ton of time and headaches (as the regular tires are less likely to get damaged than RFTs - so you'll ultimately experience a much better ride, and much less downtime associated with the vehicle being in a tire shop/at the dealer getting repaired).

I can't believe the number of folks who spend $s on insurance when the product itself is flawed - you're playing right into BMW's money-making hands!
My thoughts exactly. That is why I got conventional tires with a sidewall one siZe taller than stock (245/45/19). I will not reward BMW for making defective tires by dropping $2k on its wheel and tire ins
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 02-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i M Sport
When I receive my car in three weeks I'll be in your same position: SoCal & RWD 550i M-Sport.

My strategy is to probably do nothing. If I hate the ride or get any bubbles, I'll immediately swap for some Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I can't imagine I'd ever buy the insurance--but that's just me, I hate buying insurance for anything.

I'd love to hear from people who are like us (SoCal roads with a RWD 550i M-Sport) and have driven on their stock tires for a while. I suspect they might be just fine. Anyone?

Current: 2012 550i - Jet Black - Black Leather - M Sport
Retired: 2002 540i - Jet Black - Black Leather - M Sport
Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
NEVER!

Don't waste money on this stuff, don't drive like an idiot and be careful on the road. Watch for the pot holes, don't drive over water unless you can determine how deep it is. It's very basic stuff, obey these rules, you will never have a problem with your wheels. Not once I bent a wheel in my life or destroyed a tire. I lived in manhattan, boston, and DC. I drove in downtowns for years. I did have flats but they were simply because the tire had no thread left and it wasn't strong enough anymore. You won't have enough tire/wheel issues to justify the cost.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig View Post
You won't have enough tire/wheel issues to justify the cost.
Oh yeah, because F10's are totally problem free with wheels and tires:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=518954

And outside of the LS2 problem:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

Quote:
Early in its stay with us, when the car's odo turned past 9000 miles, we discovered a bubble in the sidewall of the right-front Goodyear. It was the first of many wheel and tire expenses we incurred. The bulging tire was replaced for $447-more on that in a minute
Quote:
After the 535i spent the winter months on Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60s, our local tire installer found that the right-rear wheel was severely bent, thus adding a $595 line item to the 5-series books at 32,000 miles.
Quote:
Then, 2000 miles later, after many observations by staffers about harsh suspension noises and vibrations, we asked the dealer to investigate. The service department said our car's suspension and its bushings were just fine but the left-rear wheel and both of the fronts were bent. Plus, one of those 2000-mile-old front tires suffered an impact failure (likely at the same time the wheels were dented).
Quote:
To recap: While the 535i was with us, we replaced two wheels (one front, one rear) and six tires (four worn, two damaged), and we repaired four wheels. The total bill for this, not including installation (which runs $163 for a full tire swap): $4474. We would have saved some cash had we purchased the 535i from a dealership and been upsold on the new BMW Tire & Wheel Protection program ($1389 for five years for a 5-series) because a $50 deductible covers replacement wheels and tires.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Oh yeah, because F10's are totally problem free with wheels and tires:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=518954

And outside of the LS2 problem:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review
I responded to you in the other thread. You should get regular tires and swap out the RFTs. And when regular tires have an issue, you can repair them. Since at the end of the lease you need new tires anyways, you will also save on the new tire cost by replacing the RFTs back in. If you bought instead of leasing, that's a whole other thing, I'd never buy any standard 3/5 series, lease is the way to go as it's too much to maintain these cars beyond warranty.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig View Post
I responded to you in the other thread. You should get regular tires and swap out the RFTs. And when regular tires have an issue, you can repair them. Since at the end of the lease you need new tires anyways, you will also save on the new tire cost by replacing the RFTs back in. If you bought instead of leasing, that's a whole other thing, I'd never buy any standard 3/5 series, lease is the way to go as it's too much to maintain these cars beyond warranty.
You seem to have all the answers.

Did you miss the part where I said I have non-RFT's and had 1 bubble that couldn't be repaired and two bent wheels, also with non-RFT's?

Keep thinking it's driver error. Meanwhile, those of us who own the car and actually have experienced the problems know different.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
What's the road situation like in SoCal? In the northeast, you will need to do either a replacement or get the insurance. Even that is no guarantee, see my thread on that issue.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...462&highlight=

The BMW insurance has the advantage that it includes the rims. I believe I've got a bent rim.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
What's the road situation like in SoCal? In the northeast, you will need to do either a replacement or get the insurance. Even that is no guarantee, see my thread on that issue.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...462&highlight=

The BMW insurance has the advantage that it includes the rims. I believe I've got a bent rim.
No doubt that you can still get bubbles and bent rims on conventional tires. I sometimes do in my E60 550. But it is a rare event and not a biweekly or monthly occurrence as it is in Manhattan with the dreadful RFT Goodyears. And when I have had a bent rim I have gotten it straightened for like $100. And my up sized 245/45/19s Pilot Sport AS Plus tires that are going on my F10 550i xDrive are only $271 each on tirerack.com -- several hundred less than the RFTs
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 535
Sitting in waiting room at my BMW service dept., killing time and saw the post on tire/wheel protection. Well I'm here today because the GY LS2 D/S front tire on my 535i, spt pkg, with only 2000 miles developed a sidewall bubble. I Don't drive like some idiot and never hit a pot hole but I did purchase the insurance.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Pirille's on 535 GT

I hate to buy insurance but...the GT has sport package and 19" rims.
Had it a week and picked up a screw in the tread. Tried to get plug and patch but tire dealer would not do it because the screw was right by the side wall. Leak is so small I have not lost a # since Sat. So keep driving and lose sleep over $1374 for 5 years of insurance. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Maybe I should have kept the Benz.....or do I buy a couple of RFT and put them in the back. When anyone looks at the cool car I can show them the trunk space I cannot use.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: German
The F10 seems to eat wheels and tires. Get it OP
Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
I got the tire coverage cause my wife has a merc with run flat tires and they needed to be replaced after 20k miles at 5 or 600 dollars a tire. seemed more cost effective to pay the insurance.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: '08 ///M5
You can also go to Discount Tire and put a warranty on them. When we bought our 2011 X5 35d I went straight to Discount and for $250 put a warranty on all four tires. It isn't the same as the BMW warranty in that it only covers ONE replacement...but if you are going to have less than four replaced it is still cheaper.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
If you are not going to change out the tires, and you do not purchase the insurance, then you are at minimum setting yourself up for major inconvenience.

Goodyear provides a warranty but then you have to deal with them, and hope they provide a reasonable solution. Also I'm pretty sure the coverage is pro-rated so if you have to replace a tire a year from now, they will not cover the full amount.

BMW insurance is expensive, but you drive in, get a new tire, and drive out.

And, you will do this many times over the course of driving Goodyear Eagle LS2 RFT all-season tires with the BMW AWD sport package, no matter how carefully you drive.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM

Sound advise but...

I have the Pirelli Summer PZero all the way around.
From what I have read here that is the tire that is replacing all the crap tires that are going bad...at least that is what I am seeing.

Pulled the warranty info on the CD in the car.
Pirelli added road hazard up to a year and 2/32 of an inch wear. After that pro rated, like most manfactures.

No insurance is a risk.
Pot holes not much of an issue in the south, if I destroy a rim will file on auto ins and see what happens. Yes, $500 deductable but whatever, again a risk.

I think I have lined the pockets of BMW enough this month.

No insurance with 19" rims, Pirelli PZero Summer, Sport package, RWD.

Will keep this post up to date as the ownership progresses.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Oh forgot

When it is time to replace tires I will NOT be going to BMW.
Already priced at local tire store and will save around $150 per tire.
Will put that $ in the bank in case I need to replace one.
Will get thier road hazard as well.

Now, how to save up for those tickets that are bound to come along.
Any insurance for that??
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
My thoughts exactly. That is why I got conventional tires with a sidewall one siZe taller than stock (245/45/19). I will not reward BMW for making defective tires by dropping $2k on its wheel and tire ins
I am thinking about the same... 40 profile on the rears and 45 on the front. Have you had any rubbing issues at all with this setup?

Has anyone else tried this?

(I did the same thing with my 2009 X5 -- 20s with 45 profile, both for better ride and better look)
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: M6 F12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcandmm View Post
I picked up my 550i at the dealer today after waiting for 8 weeks, I was set to get the T&W insurance since I've heard so many stories about the problems with GY LS2. But since mine is not AWD and came with Dunlop Sports so I decided to pass for the $1,300 3-year insurance.

Did I make a mistake? Is it too late or should I try to get a third-party insurance? Anyone out there with Dunlop please share your positive or negative feeback.

Thanks.
Remember that the tires have a manufacturer warranty on them also. I had bubbles on the front tires of my 550i without T&W insurance, BMW service replaced them under that warranty.

That said, I ended up replacing both wheels and tires with lighter forged wheels and conventional tires. The difference is amazing in terms of ride and handling.

The BMW wheels are heavy, prone to damage and way overpriced. The run flats just plain suck on the 5, especially in 19". If you own the car, replace both, if you lease either get the insurance or replace the tires and then return with the run flats.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi M-Sport
I'm more concerned with the cost of replacing a bent rim/s. Even if you replace the tires with another brand, you still run the risk of bending a rim with the narrow sidewalls. I'm going with the insurance.

Btw, just found out yesterday that I have three bent rims on my Acura. The rims are 17".
Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
meteck

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL
Actually, I have the 17's. I hit a pot hole the other day that knocked stuff off the console, but did no damage to the tire or wheel. They may not be as cool looking, but they're a lot stronger.