Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 528 xi
Extending BMW warranty for 2013

Hello

I have a 2013 528xi with about 45K. I want to extend my BMW warranty. Does anyone have any good options?

Thanks Stan
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Negotiate and go with BMW.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520d
BMW (Mondial) don't negotiate, it's like it or lump it, but they really are the best option when it comes to extending your Warranty.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:22 PM
BimmerFreak

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive Msport Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
BMW (Mondial) don't negotiate, it's like it or lump it, but they really are the best option when it comes to extending your Warranty.

I agree with you! I went to my dealer to have an e tended warranty but they were charging me $5000 and on a lump. Smh

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-18-2017, 02:00 AM

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
It would depend on what type of experience you've have had with our BMW. It's easy that even one claim could cost 1,200 or even 4,000 bucks. but no matter when the claim is accumulated, most like during the claim period, or insurance premium length you will have problems.]

Negotiate the best deal on an extended dealership (shop around, maybe talk to the board sponsors) but you will need it. Cars aren't what they used to be. The big worry back in the day was with transmissions and valve adjustments and camshaft wear. Nowdays it's the entire car.

That makes me think it's useless to buy as used car and better to lease and dump the car at 24 or 36 months as you know that car is going to break down. Without buying a warranty and holding the car past warranty, for at least 2 years you run the risk at major cost. If you lease it for 36 months, you dump it. And given the quality of cars now, it seems like dumping and leasing is better. The old school of thought of buying (either new or used) and holding for 8-10 years does not work. Between the electronics and changes in the engine, drivetrain, HVAC, and electronics that's a fool's errand. It's been engineered that way.

Some cars are better. I would not venture on the F10 body as a car to keep long term. Owners and dealers had problems had numerous problems in getting HVAC, Suspension, to global engine issues fixed. Pump and dump--that means lease.

For those that think buying an off-lease car and taking advantage of the previous owner as a chump to absorb the depreciation, you're in for a big surprise. After the first lease is done, the car may have issues....and without warranty protection you may get hit hard. There's no free lunch. These aren't 88 528i's anymore.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i X Drive M Sport
I have a 2013 550xi and live in Chicago suburbs. You don't have to work with your local dealer to get an official BMW extended warranty quote. Upon recommendation from others on this forum, I did a national search of BMW dealers on warranty options and pricing and ended up working with John Moyer at Earhard BMW in Michigan. He provided a very fair price on a 7 year BMW official extended warranty plan for my 2013 550xi.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 535iX M-Sport
Onnad, are you looking at the Platinum BMW BMW Extended Vehicle Protection Plan? Gold? (There is NO "extended waranty"-- just a service contract, which BMW calls their BMW Extended Vehicle Protection Plan)

How many miles on your 2013 now?

Last edited by Rick-F; 04-12-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i X Drive M Sport
I bought the Powertrain Plus BMW Extended Vehicle Protection Plan - not the Platinum EVP Plan. I really was only looking for protection should something catastrophic happen to the n63 V8 engine, transmission or all wheel drive system. My 2013 550 only has 28,000 miles on it so the 7 year / 70,000 EVPP was fine for my driving habits but there was also a 100,000 mile version which was more expensive.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:54 PM

Onad, did you deal with John Moyer at Erhard BMW over the phone or on-line/email? How much did you save over the local dealer?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
We opted for the BMW Extended Plan just before the factory warranty was about to expire on our 07 550i. That plan served us well right up to the point we were unable to renew it again at 150K miles at which point we traded for a new one again. We encountered several very expensive issues over the years and BWM always paid for them. Actually a couple of big ones were discovered by the technicians when we were in getting an oil change.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i
I also have a 2013 528 with about the same mileage, and worry about the level of computers controlling everything. I shopped around a lot and wanted a longer period than the BMW warranty as well as wanting a warranty that covered the electronics, nav/entertainment system and seals. Many warranties don't. I believe the best deal is to find a third party warranty company offered by a BMW dealer you like - then they will be responsible for living up to the terms. I got a Continental Ultra policy that seems OK. It covers basically everything and I'll be dealing with the people who sold it to me for repairs. We'll see - important thing is to get it before the factory warranty expires.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Today I visited my local BMW dealer (Business Manager) to discuss extended service contracts. We reviewed the BMW Extended Vehicle Protection Platinum Plan. A very good Plan and quite expensive (about $4780 for coverage up to 75K miles and 3 years after Factory Warranty expiration.)

This BMW dealer also offered a "First Mile" platinum plan by Total Warranty Services-- pretty much identical coverage, but a lower price (less than half) and longer coverage (60K miles / 72 Months AFTER purchase before BMW warranty expires).

He reviewed my BMW service history and current mileage. In the final analysis he said "If I were you, I would not buy either plan." Your car has never had a warranty claim other than oil changes, cabin filters, wiper inserts, and a tire issue-- it only has 17K miles on it in almost 4 years-- it's a crap shoot, but you'd probably be wasting your money.

I can't really find much information (positive or negative) about Total Warranty Services. I'll drive less than 10K mile/year for the next 3 years . . . who knows what might happen.

I just wonder what the cost would be to fix/replace a "bad" Adaptive LED Headlight, a component of the Adaptive Drive system, the i-Drive, the x-Drive, etc. I'm not too concerned about the engine or transmission, but there are a LOT of other systems to go haywire . . .
Old 04-14-2017, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
I have a 2012 535i that is at 85,500 miles that has only needed valve cover seals at 54,000 miles (other than brakes, tires, oil changes). You will also find people who have had one or two items break that have cost more than the insurance premium. A 535i is a solid car, but it is a gamble, and many buy just for peace of mind. Nobody can tell you 100% how to spend your money in this case.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: '11 F10 535i
CarChex Gold plan...hasn't failed me yet! Of course, if BMW extended is too much or out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 04-15-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunsy View Post
CarChex Gold plan...hasn't failed me yet! Of course, if BMW extended is too much or out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
That's good to hear.
How many times have you had to use it?
How long does it take for CarChex to approve a covered repair?

Last edited by Rick-F; 04-15-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '11 F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-F View Post
That's good to here.

How many times have you had to use it?

How long does it take for CarChex to approve a covered repair?

Used them twice. Both instances, repairs were approved next day. Smooth and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2013 bumper to bumper, exended warranty

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search