Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
amex platinum?

Mrs wyb is on the phone getting a gift-card for our son-in-law and the e-card doesn't come right through - despite saying it should - anyway - while she's discussing things with Amex - they're trying to sell her on an upgrade to our account to Platinum - does anyone have that? Is it worth it?

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Ads by Google
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

Send a message via AIM to Missmodena310
Mein Auto: BMW
My mother has the platinum card and she absolutely loves it. She has never had an issue with it, they are great on making sure to watch for fraud.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I've had one for years... they will likely waive the fee on year 1. I've been successful in negotiating it every year, Still expensive but customer service is top notch and if you travel, some additional perks come into play
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 PM

well they make bank from us - we charge north of $30k a month to the current card, sometimes a LOT more than that ... they're telling me that the card I found online is a different offer - and they want extra $$ for me to have a platinum as well... (the account is in Mrs wyb's name). I'm thinking about it... wish they'd called yesterday - I just booked a trip to Vegas... grr...

Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Yes, I upgraded to it last year and it pays for itself.

You get the following and more:
25000 bonus points;
Free companion airline tickets for business class;
$200 airline incidental fees per year;
Priority pass to airport lounges;
Free travel cancellation reimbursement for certain unforeseeable reasons;
Free hotel room upgrades and early check in;
They will pay for $100 for the Global Entry application for hassle free US international travel;
Etc.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
well they make bank from us - we charge north of $30k a month to the current card, sometimes a LOT more than that ... they're telling me that the card I found online is a different offer - and they want extra $$ for me to have a platinum as well... (the account is in Mrs wyb's name). I'm thinking about it... wish they'd called yesterday - I just booked a trip to Vegas... grr...
If you spend that much you might also consider the capital one platinum visa that gives you 2 points for each purchase and they don't screw you when it's time to redeem them.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.

Last edited by jagu; 01-23-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Spelling of visa
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
If you spend that much you might also consider the capital one platinum vise that gives you 2 points for each purchase and they don't screw you when it's time to redeem them.
it used to be a lot more - but for some reason Mrs wyb is putting a lot through our chase card - said she didn't like seeing that balance so high - and I said to her - so what? If you don't like it - pay it down early!?!? I reckon we put as much as twice that amount through both cards in a "heavy" month... annoys the crap out of me that we only get 1%... I'll look into that Capital One - we have an aversion to the company because they did one of those payment date switches on us years ago and tried to knock us for several hundred dollars for late payment. grrr..

Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM

Delete

Last edited by jagu; 01-23-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Found the answer
Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
My neighbor has an Amex "Centurion" Card, AKA the "Amex Black Card".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 PM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 PM

We're not seriously heavy travelers - so I'm struggling to see how we'd get full benefit on this one... but I did find a cheaper rate on AmexTravel for the room I booked yesterday at Caesars, so put in a price-match claim..

Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 AM
In a ton of debt...

Mein Auto: Cars
I've had the platinum card for maybe 10 years. It's my go to card for anything that I want an extended warranty or purchase protection. You can google the official benefits but I will speak about some actual experiences I had.

Most recent incident - this weekend I broke 3 wine glasses and a decanter I bought about a month ago. Full refund from Amex through their purchase protection since it happened within 90 days of purchase. They didn't even ask me for an itemized receipt. That was $400.

A couple months ago I had a pool robot cleaner that died at about 18 months. One year warranty expired. Full refund from Amex after I send in a copy of the warranty policy since Amex extended the original warranty by one year. That was around $500.

I used their fine hotel and resorts program a lot. Amex negotiated late 4pm check outs with their FHR hotels. When we were younger we do a "hotel hop" in Vegas and stay in a different hotel each night - check out of a hotel at around 3pm when the other hotels are ready for check in. Can't do that without late checkouts since normal check out is 11am and check in is 2-3pm. Then we get random credits (usually worth about $100) and upgrades. And sometimes they have great promotions at the Wynn. That's just Vegas. They've great programs in other cities / countries as well.

Coincierge. They had standing reservations at many good restaurants. I had never failed to secure a french laundry reservation if I notify Amex more than 2 months ahead of time. A couple years ago we did a European Delivery and went to like 9 countries. Amex gave us local restauant recommendations and secured all of them - imagine trying to make those reservations on your own! They also secured some tourist attraction tickets. The best was the Doge Palace in Venice. We got up late and when we got there they said the tickets were sold out. If we wanted to get in we'd have to be with a tour group, but then we'd have to join a tour for the whole day instead of just the Doge Palace (which means $$$). Called Amex coincierge. Within an hour they found a local tour group and got us tickets for Doge Palace only. That one stick in my mind years later as Amex plat coming through in a huge way.

Here's another one. I was going through France for a biz trip, and bought a saworski necklace for my wife. Later on I found out that they have matching earrings and I wanted to get that too, but I was doing a whirlwind trip through Europe and I would be leaving through Frankfrut in 2 days. Called Amex. They found the earrings and have them delivered to Frankfrut airport for me to pick up. The only charge was the actual price paid for the earrings, and it wasn't more expensive then my casual price search online. They even had the VAT refund forms for me should I need it.

I don't even remember how much they charge for the card anymore. I did get grandfathered into the subsidized fidelity amex plat where fidelity pay like half of the annual fee. But I would certainly pay the full fee. Every year I felt like I got more value out of the program that would cover the fee. And the peace of mind is priceless. Worried about warranty issues? Merchant integrity? Product quality? Accidential damage? Buy it with an Amex Plat and you know you will likley be covered in case something happens.

The amex plat is the only credit card number that I have memorized. That's how much I use it.

Try it out.

'02 Porsche 911
'04 BMW 545i
'06 Chevy Silverado 1500
'07 BMW 335i
'08 Lexus RX400H