Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-27-2014, 07:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
LCI sidemarker retrofit

Does anyone know if you can plug in the pre-LCI sidemarkers in place of the chrome plugs? Is the wiring harness still there? Not sure why the chrome plugs bug me so much but they do.

http://nyccarblog.blogspot.com/
Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
It would bug me as well because it is non-functional. BMW should have taken it out when they did the LCI, I guess its cheaper not to redesign the front fender.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
It would bug me as well because it is non-functional. BMW should have taken it out when they did the LCI, I guess its cheaper not to redesign the front fender.
The only saving grace is that in the US we get the "line designation delete" option, which means that the chrome plugs don't say "///M" or "Luxury" on them. That would be even tackier.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
The old trim should snap in the LCI fender since they look identical (minus the light) but there is no wiring back there for the light to be functional

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
The old trim should snap in the LCI fender since they look identical (minus the light) but there is no wiring back there for the light to be functional
Guess that's an interesting dilemma- what's worse: a non functional turn signal or a chrome plug. I'm actually leaning toward the non functional turn signal. I believe one guy here ordered the park assist just so the chrome bit would be functional.

I believe last time I took a factory tour that parts like the fender (which has that cut out) are produced in 2 steps. So not sure why it would have been so hard to just omit that step. They must have convinced themselves that the "line designstion" was a good thing. I'm heartened that someone at BMWNA must've seen that and said "no thanks"

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by bmw325; 02-27-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
The only saving grace is that in the US we get the "line designation delete" option, which means that the chrome plugs don't say "///M" or "Luxury" on them. That would be even tackier.
amen
Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
this picture shows something which may be an inexpensive and effective way to alter the plug to make it look more pleasing. What do you think of painting it body color and vinyl'ing the recessed wedge area? This is a picture from my car. The side marker is painted the body color, and the part of the wedge area that is not the light has been vinyled a matte black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turn signal paint and lense tint.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	425264  
Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
this picture shows something which may be an inexpensive and effective way to alter the plug to make it look more pleasing. What do you think of painting it body color and vinyl'ing the recessed wedge area? This is a picture from my car. The side marker is painted the body color, and the part of the wedge area that is not the light has been vinyled a matte black.
Looks nice.

I'm waiting for a company that advertises on EBay to start manufacturing Carbon Fiber inserts for the LCI. They have them for previous year 5ers. I have the BMW Carbon Fiber license plates.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i M-Sport
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	425295

Found clear and markers as a pair on eBay for around $80. Set up as dummies as I saw no wires to plug into. I just couldn't take the chrome plastic either...
Old 02-27-2014, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 + '14 M5 SOON!
What about fitting a tasteful small 'V8' badge in the recessed space of this trim after it's been color matched?

I am with you all... Poor decision from BMW on this easy to fix matter.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
I believe one guy here ordered the park assist just so the chrome bit would be functional.

that was me. park assist is a nice parlor trick but having it functional actually works well for the car. It actually visually looks better than if the park assist was body colored.

biggest challenge for next gen 5er is reliability though.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
What about fitting a tasteful small 'V8' badge in the recessed space of this trim after it's been color matched?

I am with you all... Poor decision from BMW on this easy to fix matter.
Forget the V8 Badge, how about a M5 badge in the middle of the side marker?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
I just wrapped mine gloss black and forgot about iton my LCI. It's one of those things where it bothers you in the beginning for you quickly realize its something so minor.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 03-24-2014, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xi, 2006 330ci
Can I pop the plug out, wrap it and snap it back in without effecting the park assist?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I think the chances of BMW not removing it completely being cost-cutting related are 50/50. Because I don't think BMW would have any intention of deleting their characteristic chrome "strip" on the fender completely. Their dilemma now is due to how the turn signal is no longer there, so what used to be a functional/stylistic cue, is technically superfluous due to being non-functional.

Therefore, what I think happened, is that BMW partially cheaped out, however not due to the fact that they simply kept the chrome bit there, but by not redesigning it to look more integrated as a design feature rather than something that used to be a design feature existing in the way it does due to the functionality purpose.

The newest BMW designs are coming with that kind of awkward "fender vent" as the new characteristic BMW fender dressing that serves a function/purpose. So far, to me, it looks dangerously close to a cheap eBay add-on, but hopefully that'll change. So, chances are that the next 5er will use that, but BMW didn't want to go through such lengths on the F10 LCI, thankfully as that would totally muck up the clean design and would look ridiculously cheap on this car. Keeping the chrome strip there as a sort of "bandaid" fix on their new non-functionality issue was probably some middle-ground.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.