Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-17-2017, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
2004 X3 Alarm System

A friend and I were talking the other day and they had the same problem before they traded their BMW in for a Mercedes-Benz.

It seems after a simple tire rotation, transmission fluid change and back drive shaft replacement, that now my car alarm keeps going off.

The only way to temporarily stop it is to do a key turn reset atleast 3 times. Other than that, while at church, work or the middle of night, Im embarrassed to wake up to a random alarm going off for no reason.

Any one else experience this or have any suggestions?

BMWCCA: Blueridge Chapter Member
Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '02 M3, '91 E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcrogers View Post
A friend and I were talking the other day and they had the same problem before they traded their BMW in for a Mercedes-Benz.

It seems after a simple tire rotation, transmission fluid change and back drive shaft replacement, that now my car alarm keeps going off.

The only way to temporarily stop it is to do a key turn reset atleast 3 times. Other than that, while at church, work or the middle of night, Im embarrassed to wake up to a random alarm going off for no reason.

Any one else experience this or have any suggestions?

Like I said in the other thread, I would try disconnecting the switch in the hood first to see if that cures the problem, they usually go bad due to heat. Also see if your hood is out of alignment, if there is no good contact with the switch it will cause it to randomly go off.

Ideally you'll need to get the errors from the module to see what sensor triggered the alarm and go from there, but if you don't have access to a reader (you can get one about $25.00) on ebay, I'd start disconnecting the hood sensor.

There is always the possibility of either the cabin ultrasonic motion sensor or the tilt sensor going bad, but these are less prone to failure.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 05-19-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Like I said in the other thread, I would try disconnecting the switch in the hood first to see if that cures the problem, they usually go bad due to heat. Also see if your hood is out of alignment, if there is no good contact with the switch it will cause it to randomly go off.

Ideally you'll need to get the errors from the module to see what sensor triggered the alarm and go from there, but if you don't have access to a reader (you can get one about $25.00) on ebay, I'd start disconnecting the hood sensor.

There is always the possibility of either the cabin ultrasonic motion sensor or the tit sensor going bad, but these are less prone to failure.
Yea. I wrote this before I saw your post but what you said shouldnt be too hard to do ex the machine.

Like I was saying in the other thread, I can check my hood but will need to get my good mechanics to check the sensors as Im not a very good car mechanic besides basic everyday maintenance.

Nevertheless, thank you again for this break down. Its more descriptive and may have to do a "Do It Yourself" project to see if this will help. My alarm went off last night again and I got busy with work to check the hood.

My only thought for you, if the mechanic shop did those few items, then, how would that mess with my alarm when it wasnt a problem before? They couldnt even tell me what they did to mess with the sensors.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:00 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '02 M3, '91 E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcrogers View Post

if the mechanic shop did those few items, then, how would that mess with my alarm when it wasnt a problem before? They couldnt even tell me what they did to mess with the sensors.

I'm only assuming that is the hood switch/sensor since it's the most common fault, but there is only one way to know for sure and it's reading the codes.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:27 PM

True. I think my car club has a discount on one. I need to check it out.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search