Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 95 525iT w/S52, 03 530i
Is it normal for M54 to initially smoke a lot after failed CCV replacement?

I just replaced my CCV and associated plastic hoses. When mine failed, it was sucking oil out of the pan and creating dense blue smoke. There was mayo on the oil cap and in all the plastic hoses I removed. The engine block near the CCV was wet with fresh oil that had not had time to accumulate caked on dirt. The valve cover gasket looks dry so I am guessing the oil was from the CCV or oil filter housing.

After replacing CCV, I pulled the plugs and they were all wet with oil. I cranked the engine with plugs out to force out any excess oil in the cylinders. I replaced plugs with new NGK Iridiums. Engine started right up but was misfiring and dense blue smoke still coming out tailpipe. I let it idle for about 5 minutes and took it for a short drive. It smoked madly for another 5 miles or so and finally started to clear out. After 10 miles, the tailpipe emissions were relatively smoke free. Is it likely that all this smoke was from oil in the cats?

I still have a persistent misfire. I have not had time to pull codes from the DME yet. I will post what I find. I am wondering if I have a hard latched fault that is disabling the injector for one or more cylinders based on the heavy oil burning at initial start up. My suspicion is that the O2 sensors were fouled with oil and triggered some logic in the DME related to misfire detection. Has anyone here had similar experience after replacing a failed CCV? I searched for and found a lot of threads here about CCV replacement but do not recall any that described heavy smoking and misfire after the repair.
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
never see any smoke on my M54 after new CCV
you probably still have some blocks
have you checked dipstick tube

Last edited by champaign777; 02-07-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 PM

I also replaced dipstick tube with cold weather version and replaced the distribution manifold that sits on top of the intake manifold.

Last edited by mda185; 02-07-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Didn't happen on mine either. Oil consumption dropped dramatically afterwards.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM

I read the code (P1353 - cylinder 6 misfire with shutoff) and cleared it. The code came back immediately. I know what to do next. Inspect coil connector. If OK, pull coil from #6 and swap with another cylinder. If misfire follows coil, I have source. I will inspect the spark plug while I am in there.

The blue exhaust smoke seems to have stopped. I drove it again after dinner and no smoke. Misfire is still there.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Had the same thing happen when my CCV valve failed and it took some time for the the car to stop smoking afterwards--I mean days and days--I hope that your not going to start using oil after this--but it was when this happened that my car started using 1 qt every 1000 miles--just keep driving the car and what your seeing is what was soaked into the cats--unlike dyno oil--sysn oil won't hurt the cat's I don't know if it will damage 02 sensors as bad either--keep on driving and see what becomes of it--if you start using oil--I mean heavy--then think of going with an oil catch can--Hope the best for ya
Old 02-08-2013, 04:59 PM

Misfire fixed! For a change, it was something simple. I didn't secure the connection on coil #6 properly. Connected it properly and running smooth. Smoking seems to have stopped too.

Something interesting came of all this. Since I bought the car in October, it has had a slight shudder when accelerating from a dead stop that I assumed meant the tranny mounts, guibo or center bearing were going bad. Now that I have replaced the CCV, distribution manifold, and dipstick tube, the shudder is gone. I wasn't getting a misfire code but it must have been enough of a vacuum leak to cause the shudder and slight hesitation I was feeling. Now, I finally know how a good running M54 should feel. I am going to replace the VANOS but I am not sure it needs it any more.

I have been working on my own cars for a long time (40 years) and I must say, replacing the CCV is one of the more physically challenging repairs I have done. My back and hands are still stiff and sore 2 days later. It was nearly impossible to push the plastic hose connectors on in the cold weather. I did this on my driveway because the S52 swap into my E34 is still tying up the garage. I did come up with a new wrinkle on performing this repair and will take a picture and post it tomorrow. I feel like I dodged a bullet in terms of not having the engine hydro lock.

Thanks to all of you who paved the way by doing detailed write ups and providing helpful information regarding this repair. It made it a lot easier than if I had to figure it all out on my own.

New shocks and struts are up next.