Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Tefi, you are not nuts, but just unique. Not in a million years would the engineers behind the X5, have thought this luxo sports crossover would traverse anything like your journey. Yea I have seen plenty of the marketing videos BMW put out there (check youtube for anyone whose interested), but lets face the facts here, the x5 is mean and tough for the nordstrom parking lot, not the dalton. You can certaintely take the x5, but I fear the electronic brains of this car wont be able to put up with the dalton, and troubleshooting it there would be impossible.

Toyota Tacoma or FJ Cruiser much more capable vehicles.

I say tacoma over FJ, since you can just build up the tacoma to look and have the capabilities of the toyota hilux that Jeremy the Ape Clarkson and James Captain Slow May took to the north pole. (top gear polar special for those interested in what i mean).

Spares and etc are readily available.

Even better would be taking something domestic, you can get a better guarantee for the availability of spares for domestics up north!

WHatever vehicle you choose, Your bound to have an interesting trip, SO speaking on behalf of the driving community, PLEASE POST TRIP PICTURES!!!!

GOOOD LUCK! ENJOY THE TRIP AND BE SAFE!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Toyota Tacoma or FJ Cruiser much more capable vehicles.

I say tacoma over FJ, since you can just build up the tacoma to look and have the capabilities of the toyota hilux that Jeremy the Ape Clarkson and James Captain Slow May took to the north pole. (top gear polar special for those interested in what i mean).
The FJ has a better drivetrain then the Tacoma as it's available in full time 4wd with a torsen center diff if you opt for the 6MT. None of the Toyota trucks are full time 4wd, just part time.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 PM

^ good point. Hence the buildup of the tacoma similar to the hilux from the polar special. They did some massive upgrades on that truck.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
^ good point. Hence the buildup of the tacoma similar to the hilux from the polar special. They did some massive upgrades on that truck.
They still don't upgrade the drivetrain to full time though, doesn't matter when you're running locked on ice with studded tires though.

http://www.arctictrucks.com/pages/4699

Wish they would post ball park prices of what a conversion costs, just getting 38s to fit under there with the long travel conversion is going to be a chore.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 12' X5d
Quote:
Not in a million years would the engineers behind the X5, have thought this luxo sports crossover would traverse anything like your journey
Seriously? All you guys crack me up.

Probably semi 50 trucks travel the highway every day. It is a highway...the road conditions will be better in the winter when everything is frozen with snow on it. In the summer, the road is gravel, in the winter it's ice/snow. In the summer the rocks will give your car some character, in the winter, most of them will be frozen down to the ground or under snow.

If you are smart about it and:

Know how to drive. (have you ever driven on snow or ice?)
Give trucks the right of way, they OWN the highway (even if they are using the wrong lane climbing a hill)
Take a Sat phone and know a few numbers off hand to contact people
Make sure you have emergency cold weather gear
Give trucks the right of way, they OWN the highway
Have a plan.
Watch the weather...do not go wind the wind / blowing snow advisories are on.
Have good tires and a reliable vehicle
Take your time and be safe (know how to drive...lol)

Also...for all you nay-say-ers...http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent
There is not one current road advisory on the Dalton. The AKDOT does a great job with the highway since it is a lifeline to the North slope (where AK collects a the majority of its tax revenue). Weather will rapidly change the road conditions though...if its gonna snow or blow...don't go.

Maybe we should caravan...

91 325ic
99 528i
03 X5 4.4
04 325i
12 X5d
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
Seriously? All you guys crack me up.

Probably semi 50 trucks travel the highway every day. It is a highway...the road conditions will be better in the winter when everything is frozen with snow on it. In the summer, the road is gravel, in the winter it's ice/snow. In the summer the rocks will give your car some character, in the winter, most of them will be frozen down to the ground or under snow.

If you are smart about it and:

Know how to drive. (have you ever driven on snow or ice?)
Give trucks the right of way, they OWN the highway (even if they are using the wrong lane climbing a hill)
Take a Sat phone and know a few numbers off hand to contact people
Make sure you have emergency cold weather gear
Have a plan.
Watch the weather...do not go wind the wind / blowing snow advisories are on.
Have good tires and a reliable vehicle
Take your time and be safe (know how to drive...lol)

Also...for all you nay-say-ers...http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent
There is not one current road advisory on the Dalton. The AKDOT does a great job with the highway since it is a lifeline to the North slope (where AK collects a the majority of its tax revenue). Weather will rapidly change the road conditions though...if its gonna snow or blow...don't go.

Maybe we should caravan...

Im guessing by your location sig, you live in alaska. The op seems to be from cali, soooo the conditions you may think as travel-able and mundane, might make a non-resident feel like he/she is in frozen hell.

Plus not to knock BMW quality (well actually they knock themselves) taking a vehicle which I can only assume has spent its years in toasty California to the cold, freezing north can surely bring out some quirks which were never present before. It happens, to all cars, but its worse with cars that have seen alot of pavement. You want to take a vehicle that isnt too complicated, has been quite reliable historically, and has spares & mechanics ready to fix it should the need arise.

As they say, you want to minimize (since you really cannot eliminate) the impact of all unknown variables before entering an unfamiliar situation. Translation KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID (Like to cite ARD). In this case, a simple domestic or Japanese purpose built rig that does just that.

Why does this matter?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Stumbled upon this thread http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...tuk-20955.html

Sounds like a lot of fun. Be safe, take a lot of pictures and come back here with a report. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 12' X5d
Quote:
Im guessing by your location sig, you live in alaska. The op seems to be from cali, soooo the conditions you may think as travel-able and mundane, might make a non-resident feel like he/she is in frozen hell.

Plus not to knock BMW quality (well actually they knock themselves) taking a vehicle which I can only assume has spent its years in toasty California to the cold, freezing north can surely bring out some quirks which were never present before. It happens, to all cars, but its worse with cars that have seen alot of pavement. You want to take a vehicle that isnt too complicated, has been quite reliable historically, and has spares & mechanics ready to fix it should the need arise.

As they say, you want to minimize (since you really cannot eliminate) the impact of all unknown variables before entering an unfamiliar situation. Translation KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID (Like to cite ARD). In this case, a simple domestic or Japanese purpose built rig that does just that.
Yep, I do live up here, Wasilla to be exact. I also work in the oilfield that just happens to be at the end of that road.

I absolutely agree with you with the BMW quality issue. That's why I mentioned "reliable" in my previous post. I've had a couple of Bimmers I wouldn't trust for sure, fortunately the one I have now has been perfect. I would take it in a heartbeat (if my wife would let me).

Also, like you mention the OP from Cali. That plays a big part as well. Experience driving on snow and Ice would be a mandatory prerequisite. It seems every day I see people who have no business driving on the roads.

One major key in this entire ordeal is respect. Respect the weather, respect the other drivers, respect the roads...etc.

As far as the car being destroyed goes, thats more up to the driver than anything.
91 325ic
99 528i
03 X5 4.4
04 325i
12 X5d
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Sounds like you've done a good job thinking this through. The ONLY thing that would give me pause is the potential failure of some part / component / module that is not available in AK. Not sure which would hurt your wallet more: sticking your X5 on a flubbed and towing it back, or sticking the replacement part, a tech, and his tools on a Twin Otter and bringing them to you.

Either way, your wife would likely tell you for years about all the better uses she had for the $$$. I know Mrs. Quack would....

The more rational course might be to take a Tahoe, Toyota, or other rig where parts and wrenched are
more readily available.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X5 50i
In September 2011 I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 that I rented from Hertz in Anchorage to Fairbanks through Denali. This was by far one of the most scenic road trips I have ever been on, pavement and easy driving.

Then about a week and half later I drove a Ford F350 4x4 (company vehicle) from Fairbanks to Deadhorse. Once North of Fairbanks the roads do turn to gravel/mud and tend to have monstrous potholes. Windshields & Tires are the biggest concern. The F350 had extra heavy duty ply tires on as did the rest of the fleet of trucks because of punctures. Taking the stock Jeep was not allowed by either Hertz or the Company I work for. Make sure you have full size spares, more than one. The windshield had to be replaced when I returned to Fairbanks, the oncoming Tractor-Trailers cracked it on several occasions during the journey with rocks coming off their wheels. As someone previously mentioned I too grew up driving 4x4 trucks all over the gravel roads of the Midwest...No comparison.

Be prepared: Full Size Spare Tires/Chains(only needed in the Brooks Range)/Few gallons of Fuel/Satellite Phone/Fix-A-Flat/Blankets/Flares/Extra Drinking Water.

Oh and just because you are close to oil does not mean fuel is cheap. It was $5.50/Gallon for Unleaded and more for Diesel when I was in Prudhoe. I attached a photo from outside the only public hotel in Prudhoe on the oil field. Look at the trucks and the ground. This is what all the roads look like.

Prepare well and it will be a great adventure. I expect that your X5 will make the journey but will show some battle scars when you return to Cali.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 071.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	361076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 022.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	361077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 069.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	361078  
Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Sounds like you've done a good job thinking this through. The ONLY thing that would give me pause is the potential failure of some part / component / module that is not available in AK. Not sure which would hurt your wallet more: sticking your X5 on a flubbed and towing it back, or sticking the replacement part, a tech, and his tools on a Twin Otter and bringing them to you.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
You beat me to it. This is actually the question - what are you going to do if your x5 does break somewhere mid-way. All the other preparations are necessary too, but my guess is you do not want to find the answer to THIS question when it happens. So what is your plan in case of breakdown? There is one more option not mentioned above - abandon your X and hitch a ride in a semi back to civilization...

I am not really trying to put you off, I wish I could have enough time to undertake something like this as I love go-where-i-see crazy travel just for the sake of travel. But I also do scuba, and I know that at 250ft down figuring out what to do when your rebreather breaks is not an option...

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 650i '09
I did this trip on my bmw 1200gs motorcycle last year (Santa Clara -> Anchorage). I had a Spot satellite messenger tied to the motorcycle all the time, it has a tracking mode which updated my location to an internet accessable map in real time and also had a SOS button for emergencies - these are pretty inexpensive these days and a must for these kind of trips.

This is how I got there:

Santa Clara->Lake Tahoe->Reno->Bonnevile, Utah (Salt flats)->Idaho Falls->Yellowstone national park->Gardiner, MT->Hungry Horse, MT->Banff, BC (through Whitefish, I could not do Glacier national park since the road was closed that time but it is a must see)->Dawson Creek->Ft St. John->Ft. Nelson->Whitehorse, Yukon->Tok, AK->Fairbanks, AK->Arctic circle, Dalton highway->Valdez,AK->Whitier, AK (through ferry)->Seward, AK->Anchorage, AK

This took 21 days. Except for couple of days stopped at Ft. Nelson due to snowfall I travelled pretty much every day. The roads were very good all along, never had problem getting a gas station or room to stay on the way although had problems getting 91 octane in the northern parts of canada.

If it is any motivation to do this trip on a X5, I will do this trip even on a 650i between late may and late august - the roads are all paved except for a short stretch between fairbanks and the arctic circle point in dalton highway. Even the unpaved section was not very bad, there were all these scary posts i read about dalton highway before I started but when I actually got there the unpaved sections looked like one of the freeways in india (i am only exaggerating a little) and was a little disappointing in a way :-)

I heard the sections above the arctic circle point on dalton highway are more challenging , I have not been there but I heard the roads get a lot muddy and need atleast a 4x4 to make it through.

If I was planning this trip on my car I would take atleast 2 spare tires - since that was not possible on a motorcycle all I had was a tire repair kit but I never needed it.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 3.5d
Not quote the same, but I helped move my SIL from Tucson to the Kenai Peninsula a few years. We had a 2005 F-250 6.0l Diesel pulling an enclosed trailer and a Subaru Impreza. 4 drivers, 4,000 miles, 4 days, but it was one of the more enjoyable and memorable trips in my life! Some amazing country in BC and AK for sure. Watch out for Moose.

Not sure the X5 is the ideal car for the trek as others have mentioned, but if it handles the roads, I don't see why it wouldn't make it. Rough roads take tolls on vehicles. Why do you want Full-time 4WD? If the roads are sketchy, stop and put the rig in 4WD until it's not needed. Some larger tires would help and you could air them down a few psi to take the edge off the rough roads.

Take your ipod. Sat radio is not supposed to work up there.

Last edited by jesus_man; 03-01-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 4.8i
Smile Friday is the time to go!

Friday is my start day!
You can follow my trip either on facebook search for PO2BS (Pacific Ocean to Beaufort Sea overland expedition) or on my blog at http://teffi71.blogspot.com/.
Here is my schedule:
Mar 15, 2013 Campbell CA I-5
Mar 16, 2013 Grants Pass OR I-5
Mar 17, 2013 Seattle WA I-5 / Trans Canada Highway
Mar 18, 2013 100 Miles House BC Caribou Highway
Mar 19, 2013 Dawson Creek BC Alaska Highwy
Mar 20, 2013 Fort Nelson BC Alaska Highwy
Mar 21, 2013 Watson Lake YT Alaska Highwy
Mar 22, 2013 Whitehorse YT Klondike Highwy
Mar 23, 2013 Dawson City YT Dempster Highway
Mar 24, 2013 Eagle Plains NWT Dempster Highway
Mar 25, 2013 Fort McPherson NWT Dempster Highway
Mar 26, 2013 Inuvik NWT Ice Highway
Mar 27, 2013 Tuktoyaktuk NWT Ice Highway
Mar 28, 2013 Tuktoyaktuk NWT
Mar 29, 2013 Tuktoyaktuk NWT Ice Highway
Mar 30, 2013 Inuvik NWT Ice Highway
Mar 31, 2013 Fort McPherson NWT Dempster Highway
Apr 1, 2013 Eagle Plains NWT Dempster Highway
Apr 2, 2013 Dawson City YT Dempster Highway
Apr 3, 2013 Whitehorse YT Klondike Highwy
Apr 4, 2013 Watson Lake YT Alaska Highwy
Apr 5, 2013 Fort Nelson BC Alaska Highwy
Apr 6, 2013 Dawson Creek BC Alaska Highwy
Apr 7, 2013 100 Miles House BC Caribou Highway
Apr 8, 2013 Seattle WA I-5 / Trans Canada Highway
Apr 9, 2013 Grants Pass OR I-5
Apr 10, 2013 Campbell CA I-5

Let's see if my planing for my very first single handed overland expedition is anywhere close to reality ...

Thanks for all your advise and support!

Cheers,
Stefan
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
He is almost there!

Guess what, the guy made it past the arctic circle! Some good cheering is in order!

http://teffi71.blogspot.com/

Way to go, Stefan, I am rooting for you. Keep posting and be careful. Wish I could do the same, but it is just the office fun for me for now
Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: German
This setup is ridiculously cool

Congrats!

what app is that on the iPad?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: German
This is slick also

Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Didn't read all this thread but would 100% take a Toyota or even a Chevy pickup.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
Didn't read all this thread but would 100% take a Toyota or even a Chevy pickup.
What would the fun and excitement be in that?

Stefan, congratulations! Love the pictures of the X5 at the Arctic Circle. Safe travels and report back here when you can.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
This is slick also

Agree!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 PM

:wings:

Just wanted to let you all know that I made it to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT, Canada without any issue in the X5.
Now, I just have to make the return ...

Have you checked out my bloghttp://teffi71.blogspot.com/ or my facebook page called PO2BS yet?

The app on the iPad Mini is Earthmate and it works with the DeLorme InReach http://www.inreachdelorme.com/. It actually comes from them ...
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 3.5d
What a great trip!! Thanks for sharing. Any northern light sitings? We spent two weeks in Alaska recently hoping to catch a glimpse. Some fo my family said they saw some "moving" lights on the horizon, but I am not convinced.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
What an amazing adventure! Thank you for sharing. Travel safely!

2012 BMW X5 Diesel Platinum Bronze Metallic/Black Nevada Leather/Dark Burl Walnut Wood

2003 IIIM5 Oxford Green Metallic/Caramel/Dark Burl Walnut Wood

2010 Range Rover Supercharged Ipanema Sand/Sand with Navy piping

2006 Range Rover HSE Buckingham Blue/Parchment with Navy piping/American Cherry Wood....gone but not forgotten

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Bronze/Stone....gone but not forgotten
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM

No, no northern lights yet ...
I only have seen it once ... in an airplane going from SFO to FRA. I have been flying this route for more then 10 years now, and so far, I have seen them only once!
But it was so beautiful :o)
Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 PM

Anybody looking for a great set of studded winter tires?
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...731584139.html