Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328ic
Unhappy 328ic Heater Core Replacements

Hello!

I have a 1997 328ic that I love. It needs a heater core replacement. (coolant leak, started to overheat, low coolant, fumes coming up through the dashboard...) BUT My problem is, I can't tell if I'm being ripped off on the cost of the part. I think I might be. I know labor will be expensive, but the actual heater core...

The repair shop wants to order a $180 heater core (black plastic). I can't find anyone on the Internet selling a 1997 BMW 328ic heater core for that price. I found several off-brand for $65-$85 and a few behr for $95-$105. I even found a black plastic one on ebay for $35. I would feel more comfortable letting the shop "do what it thinks is best" if I could find a part for that price online, or if I was confident that the black plastic part was "genuine."

Most of the black plastic heater cores I can find online are branded ACM or Replacement. I found one on ebay for $140, but every other one was <$85.

I ordered a white plastic heater core from a site that (claimed, at least) said it was a Behr OEM part for $96. It comes with a 12 Months / 12,000 Miles warranty. But the shop would rather use the $180, black plastic, part, just 'cuz they trust their supplier.

I think, but am not 100% sure, that the "genuine" part for my car is Behr part, and it should be a white plastic. Can someone confirm or refute this?

The nerd in me thinks: a heater core is simple, mechanical. No moving parts. You put hot fluids in, the heat is dispersed by aluminum fins, air is blown over the fins, and a cooler fluid comes out.

I want to take care of my car, but I'm having a hard time finding value in the more expensive part. Should I insist that they use my part, or should I let them use the more expensive part (and pay a $20 restocking fee for the part I ordered).
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
I'd take a look at the serial number on the part you ordered. Enter it into a site like http://www.realoem.com and see if it matches your car.

Ed

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?