Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 750Li
Driveshaft bushing can equal rough shifts

Hey guys,

took my car in under CPO warranty and had them change my driveshaft bushing and they replaced my drivers side door handle due to comfort access failing occasionally.

after replacing the bushing i do not feel any more rough shifts. i had tried everything to get the car to shift smoother...reset the tranny, changed my driving habits...everything!

but i'm happy to say the bushing solved 99% of my rough shift issue, especially the 2-1 downshift.

just a FYI to all of you guys that still have problems check up on the bushing.

2006 BMW M5
SOLD: 2006 750Li Monaco Blue/Black|Sports Package|Convenience Package|Comfort Access|Logic 7|Rear Entertainment|Night Vision|SAT/HD|Cold Weather|Luxury Seats|Rear Power Sunshades|35% Tint|22" Custom Wheels|H&R's|Alpina Trunk Spoiler| ACS Roof Spoiler| MTEC v3|
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2009, 03:24 PM
the cleanest1

Mein Auto: E66
Yes, i had the same problem and the dealer did exactly what you said and it shifts fine now
Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 PM

its hard to notice the driveshaft bushing is bad because the car is so smooth and quiet...so its overlooked and people like me think its just a flaw the car has, or they just end up reset the transmission.

2006 BMW M5
SOLD: 2006 750Li Monaco Blue/Black|Sports Package|Convenience Package|Comfort Access|Logic 7|Rear Entertainment|Night Vision|SAT/HD|Cold Weather|Luxury Seats|Rear Power Sunshades|35% Tint|22" Custom Wheels|H&R's|Alpina Trunk Spoiler| ACS Roof Spoiler| MTEC v3|
Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
BMW often refers to this Part as the "Guibo" I believe. Had mine replaced under warranty, made a world of difference.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:58 AM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
the only problem is that BMW tries to push that fix onto every kind of transmission problem

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post
the only problem is that BMW tries to push that fix onto every kind of transmission problem
+1 - sorry to burst your bubble but if it in fact the guibo joint that was replaced, it is only a temporary fix. that is the first thing the dealer replaces when you report hard shifting.

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznik007 View Post
+1 - sorry to burst your bubble but if it in fact the guibo joint that was replaced, it is only a temporary fix. that is the first thing the dealer replaces when you report hard shifting.
i wish they replaced it when i asked them to check on the rough shifting the first time around(under factory warranty, instead they replaced it after factory warranty was done and charged me $50...but then again the first dealer i went to(center BMW) chewed me up and spit me out like i was a bad piece of meat.

2006 BMW M5
Old 11-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Did you notice any stumbling feeling during light-gas-pedal driving? (driving steady around 60 mph down the highway) I'm having this and have been wondering about the possibility of it being the center bearing along the driveshaft. It goes away with gas or braking.

For reference, part #2 is the guibo joint and the center mount/bearing is #8 in this diagram.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 11-30-2009, 06:46 PM

didnt feel much after about 50...but with light gas and a quick let go would be a little rough

2006 BMW M5
Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: 745i 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by robohopar View Post
Hey guys,

took my car in under CPO warranty and had them change my driveshaft bushing and they replaced my drivers side door handle due to comfort access failing occasionally.

after replacing the bushing i do not feel any more rough shifts. i had tried everything to get the car to shift smoother...reset the tranny, changed my driving habits...everything!

but i'm happy to say the bushing solved 99% of my rough shift issue, especially the 2-1 downshift.

just a FYI to all of you guys that still have problems check up on the bushing.
Hello!

Did you have other downshift/upshift problems than 2-1 downshift ?
I only have 2-1 downshift problems, all other are vey soft on my 2004 745i.

George
Old 10-08-2010, 09:00 AM

no never really had the 2-1 downshift problem...just rough shifts at times...got a lot better after changing the guibo, but i still had rough shifts at times...

about a month ago i took the car in, and my advisor told me that there is no such thing as "resetting the tranny" when you hold down the gas pedal for 30 seconds with the ignition on. he did a "adaptation reset" on my tranny and i cannot say the world of difference. It seriously feels like it shifts as smooth as a Lexus. Its amazing the difference.

In sport mode, i thought rough shifts were "normal"...but even in sport mode i get great shifts. You guys with factory warranty or CPO should take it in and ask them to do a adaption reset.

2006 BMW M5
Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
New Drive shaft

I took my car to the dealer because I suspected I had a falty drive shaft or at least that what everybody seems to want to tell me. soo... after seeing and being quoted some unbelievable prices and thinking I had no ther option than going with the dealer I thought I was just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay full pop considering I wanted a QUALITY drive shaft. Keeping in mind I did not want to be dealing with this same problem a short time down the road. To my surprise I was refered to an online company that sells NEW and Rebuilt drive shafts. Granted, I was a bit nervous ordering on line but i did it any way, and it turned out to be a great choice. I got a completely rebuilt drive shaft for only $425.04 !!! with free shipping. My mechanic liked the drive shaft so much that he now recomends this company to any body that comes thru his shop with a driveline problem. Im just writng this hoping it might help some body in the same position i was in just a few weeks ago.

Drive shaft website:

www.wholesaleimportparts.com