Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 bmw 323i
How much for new spark plugs, front left brake caliper, and fuel filter

So the allegedly the head gasket was supposed to be blown, but after being at the shop and pressure tested the guy believes there are no symptoms of it. He thinks misfire is from spark plugs I forget the brand but I guess they aren't good in BMW. He said 4-500 for new plugs, front left brake caliper and fuel filter? Is this normal?
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshade40 View Post
So the allegedly the head gasket was supposed to be blown, but after being at the shop and pressure tested the guy believes there are no symptoms of it. He thinks misfire is from spark plugs I forget the brand but I guess they aren't good in BMW. He said 4-500 for new plugs, front left brake caliper and fuel filter? Is this normal?
First of all, NO it ain't normal. Plugs cost $49.95 for all 6 of them and are a 30 minute DIY with nothing more than a 10mm ratchet and a spark plug socket. A brake caliper is $50 and would take me an hour to replace if you blindfolded me. A fuel filter is $50 and another easy 45 min DIY.

Second, if they diagnosed a "misfire" as a bad head gasket (or even thought that) then they are not very smart. Save your cash and drive away fast!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
OP. Listen to him. He taught me how to fix a few things on my car and I can testify that what he says is the truth, except for the rotor replacement. Without being blindfolded, I figure it should take him roughly 25 minutes tops. Blindfolded? Maaaaaybe 30...

But I digress...

You can EASILY do these repairs yourself if you search around a little. They are NOT hard to do by any means (the fuel filter can be a bit... gassy...) and can be done in less than a day, even without knowing what you're doing.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
First of all, NO it ain't normal. Plugs cost $49.95 for all 6 of them and are a 30 minute DIY with nothing more than a 10mm ratchet and a spark plug socket. A brake caliper is $50 and would take me an hour to replace if you blindfolded me. A fuel filter is $50 and another easy 45 min DIY.

Second, if they diagnosed a "misfire" as a bad head gasket (or even thought that) then they are not very smart. Save your cash and drive away fast!
I'm 17 gonna stay away from that stuff right now, I just want to know how much it should cost
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshade40 View Post
I just want to know how much it should cost
There are multiple answers to that oft-asked question.

You already have one side of the story.

Another side of the story would be for you to plug in your zip code and the tasks listed into the repair pal web application to see what it thinks it would cost.

See the bold red link below:
- Finding a reputable BMW indy in your area (1) (2) & the consumers' checkbook method of finding a good mechanic (1) & repairpal labor/job/shop rates by zip code (1) & other things to consider replacing while you're already there (1)

The third part of the story is that I know of people who paid $1,200 at BMW of San Jose for a standard four wheel brake job - and I know of people personally who paid $450 to have a battery replaced at the same place.

So, if you were at 'my' dealer, it would be a steal at the price you've been quoted.

There. You have your answer.

EDIT: There are more lessons for a 17 year old ... so, if you're actually a 'smart' 17 year old (and I have no way of knowing you so I'm not accusing you of anything), then you will/can read and understand this (which is meant in the most sincere of ways):
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 01-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
I learned most of what I know about cars by the time I was 18. Know how? I just frickin' opened the hood and dove in. And this was 30 years ago before we had the Interwebz and YouTube. Other than changing the air in your tires, or the blinker fluid, those tasks are about as DIY as it gets.

You don't own a Space Shuttle... it's a car, with a motor and transmission, and brakes, and wheels and tires, and seats, and windows, and headlights.

Roll up your sleeves and get to it!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Being 17 has nothing to do with it. YouTube has video diy's on everything you need done. When I was you age (in the mid 90's) I didn't know much either. As jvr826 did I just dove in. I replaced transmissions and clutches without a manual, the internet, or know how. These jobs your car needs are MINOR by comparison.

Sent from my One X using Bimmer App

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:

Yup, but if your intimidated to do these maintenance items, at least do the spark plugs yourself. brakes and fuel filter you can bring somewhere. Should be less than 2 hr job for both, so roughly ~$250 in labor?? Really depends on their labor rate.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
There are multiple answers to that oft-asked question.

You already have one side of the story.

Another side of the story would be for you to plug in your zip code and the tasks listed into the repair pal web application to see what it thinks it would cost.

See the bold red link below:
- Finding a reputable BMW indy in your area (1) (2) & the consumers' checkbook method of finding a good mechanic (1) & repairpal labor/job/shop rates by zip code (1) & other things to consider replacing while you're already there (1)

The third part of the story is that I know of people who paid $1,200 at BMW of San Jose for a standard four wheel brake job - and I know of people personally who paid $450 to have a battery replaced at the same place.

So, if you were at 'my' dealer, it would be a steal at the price you've been quoted.

There. You have your answer.

EDIT: There are more lessons for a 17 year old ... so, if you're actually a 'smart' 17 year old (and I have no way of knowing you so I'm not accusing you of anything), then you will/can read and understand this (which is meant in the most sincere of ways):
To be honest I'm not trying to get sympathy at all or brag, but I am smart honors and ap courses I could probably do the work, no nothing about cars, 3 sport athlete, but I am suffering from a concussion and its very difficult for me right now
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:

Hey smolck, will you work on my car? I'll give you 50% of what the dealer would charge, and that amount would probably be more than what you expect. It will give you a lot of experience maintaining BMW E46 as well. I can bring the car to your place. I can't stand working on my cars anymore.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-23-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Hey smolck, will you work on my car? I'll give you 50% of what the dealer would charge, and that amount would probably be more than what you expect. It will give you a lot of experience maintaining BMW E46 as well. I can bring the car to your place. I can't stand working on my cars anymore.
Sure. My repairs usually come out to 70%-80% less than dealer cost so you would be giving me a substantial raise. As for experience maintaining an E46, I have been doing that for my personal car for 6 years. I also maintain another 7-10 for local people, I'd be happy to add you to my list!

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote: