Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM
kshade40 kshade40 is offline
Registered User
Location: Pittsfield mass
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 88
Mein Auto: 1999 bmw 323i
How much for new spark plugs, front left brake caliper, and fuel filter

So the allegedly the head gasket was supposed to be blown, but after being at the shop and pressure tested the guy believes there are no symptoms of it. He thinks misfire is from spark plugs I forget the brand but I guess they aren't good in BMW. He said 4-500 for new plugs, front left brake caliper and fuel filter? Is this normal?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is online now
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,348
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshade40 View Post
So the allegedly the head gasket was supposed to be blown, but after being at the shop and pressure tested the guy believes there are no symptoms of it. He thinks misfire is from spark plugs I forget the brand but I guess they aren't good in BMW. He said 4-500 for new plugs, front left brake caliper and fuel filter? Is this normal?
First of all, NO it ain't normal. Plugs cost $49.95 for all 6 of them and are a 30 minute DIY with nothing more than a 10mm ratchet and a spark plug socket. A brake caliper is $50 and would take me an hour to replace if you blindfolded me. A fuel filter is $50 and another easy 45 min DIY.

Second, if they diagnosed a "misfire" as a bad head gasket (or even thought that) then they are not very smart. Save your cash and drive away fast!
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,028
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
OP. Listen to him. He taught me how to fix a few things on my car and I can testify that what he says is the truth, except for the rotor replacement. Without being blindfolded, I figure it should take him roughly 25 minutes tops. Blindfolded? Maaaaaybe 30...

But I digress...

You can EASILY do these repairs yourself if you search around a little. They are NOT hard to do by any means (the fuel filter can be a bit... gassy...) and can be done in less than a day, even without knowing what you're doing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM
kshade40 kshade40 is offline
Registered User
Location: Pittsfield mass
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 88
Mein Auto: 1999 bmw 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
First of all, NO it ain't normal. Plugs cost $49.95 for all 6 of them and are a 30 minute DIY with nothing more than a 10mm ratchet and a spark plug socket. A brake caliper is $50 and would take me an hour to replace if you blindfolded me. A fuel filter is $50 and another easy 45 min DIY.

Second, if they diagnosed a "misfire" as a bad head gasket (or even thought that) then they are not very smart. Save your cash and drive away fast!
I'm 17 gonna stay away from that stuff right now, I just want to know how much it should cost
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM
bluebee's Avatar
bluebee bluebee is offline
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,270
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshade40 View Post
I just want to know how much it should cost
There are multiple answers to that oft-asked question.

You already have one side of the story.

Another side of the story would be for you to plug in your zip code and the tasks listed into the repair pal web application to see what it thinks it would cost.

See the bold red link below:
- Finding a reputable BMW indy in your area (1) (2) & the consumers' checkbook method of finding a good mechanic (1) & repairpal labor/job/shop rates by zip code (1) & other things to consider replacing while you're already there (1)

The third part of the story is that I know of people who paid $1,200 at BMW of San Jose for a standard four wheel brake job - and I know of people personally who paid $450 to have a battery replaced at the same place.

So, if you were at 'my' dealer, it would be a steal at the price you've been quoted.

There. You have your answer.

EDIT: There are more lessons for a 17 year old ... so, if you're actually a 'smart' 17 year old (and I have no way of knowing you so I'm not accusing you of anything), then you will/can read and understand this (which is meant in the most sincere of ways):
__________________
Each repair should invariably add to our knowledge base by the process of inexorable incrementalism.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 01-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is online now
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,855
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
I learned most of what I know about cars by the time I was 18. Know how? I just frickin' opened the hood and dove in. And this was 30 years ago before we had the Interwebz and YouTube. Other than changing the air in your tires, or the blinker fluid, those tasks are about as DIY as it gets.

You don't own a Space Shuttle... it's a car, with a motor and transmission, and brakes, and wheels and tires, and seats, and windows, and headlights.

Roll up your sleeves and get to it!
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is online now
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,348
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Being 17 has nothing to do with it. YouTube has video diy's on everything you need done. When I was you age (in the mid 90's) I didn't know much either. As jvr826 did I just dove in. I replaced transmissions and clutches without a manual, the internet, or know how. These jobs your car needs are MINOR by comparison.

Sent from my One X using Bimmer App
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM
jdauria jdauria is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arlington, VA / NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 763
Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
First of all, NO it ain't normal. Plugs cost $49.95 for all 6 of them and are a 30 minute DIY with nothing more than a 10mm ratchet and a spark plug socket. A brake caliper is $50 and would take me an hour to replace if you blindfolded me. A fuel filter is $50 and another easy 45 min DIY.

Second, if they diagnosed a "misfire" as a bad head gasket (or even thought that) then they are not very smart. Save your cash and drive away fast!
Yup, but if your intimidated to do these maintenance items, at least do the spark plugs yourself. brakes and fuel filter you can bring somewhere. Should be less than 2 hr job for both, so roughly ~$250 in labor?? Really depends on their labor rate.
__________________
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry (1 of 21 ever made)
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | Brushed Aluminum "Stahlgrau"|
Square Style 65's - Pilot Super Sports
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
kshade40 kshade40 is offline
Registered User
Location: Pittsfield mass
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 88
Mein Auto: 1999 bmw 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
There are multiple answers to that oft-asked question.

You already have one side of the story.

Another side of the story would be for you to plug in your zip code and the tasks listed into the repair pal web application to see what it thinks it would cost.

See the bold red link below:
- Finding a reputable BMW indy in your area (1) (2) & the consumers' checkbook method of finding a good mechanic (1) & repairpal labor/job/shop rates by zip code (1) & other things to consider replacing while you're already there (1)

The third part of the story is that I know of people who paid $1,200 at BMW of San Jose for a standard four wheel brake job - and I know of people personally who paid $450 to have a battery replaced at the same place.

So, if you were at 'my' dealer, it would be a steal at the price you've been quoted.

There. You have your answer.

EDIT: There are more lessons for a 17 year old ... so, if you're actually a 'smart' 17 year old (and I have no way of knowing you so I'm not accusing you of anything), then you will/can read and understand this (which is meant in the most sincere of ways):
To be honest I'm not trying to get sympathy at all or brag, but I am smart honors and ap courses I could probably do the work, no nothing about cars, 3 sport athlete, but I am suffering from a concussion and its very difficult for me right now
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Dave 330i's Avatar
Dave 330i Dave 330i is offline
The King of Common Sense
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 127
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
First of all, NO it ain't normal. Plugs cost $49.95 for all 6 of them and are a 30 minute DIY with nothing more than a 10mm ratchet and a spark plug socket. A brake caliper is $50 and would take me an hour to replace if you blindfolded me. A fuel filter is $50 and another easy 45 min DIY.

Second, if they diagnosed a "misfire" as a bad head gasket (or even thought that) then they are not very smart. Save your cash and drive away fast!
Hey smolck, will you work on my car? I'll give you 50% of what the dealer would charge, and that amount would probably be more than what you expect. It will give you a lot of experience maintaining BMW E46 as well. I can bring the car to your place. I can't stand working on my cars anymore.
__________________
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-23-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is online now
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,348
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Hey smolck, will you work on my car? I'll give you 50% of what the dealer would charge, and that amount would probably be more than what you expect. It will give you a lot of experience maintaining BMW E46 as well. I can bring the car to your place. I can't stand working on my cars anymore.
Sure. My repairs usually come out to 70%-80% less than dealer cost so you would be giving me a substantial raise. As for experience maintaining an E46, I have been doing that for my personal car for 6 years. I also maintain another 7-10 for local people, I'd be happy to add you to my list!
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms