Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Sport 6M
Pilot Super Sport vs. Conti ExtremeContact DW

It's finally time to ditch the OEM RFTs on my '09 335i sedan with the Sports Package. Woo hoo!

I'm looking at two tire options. Of course, everyone gushes--and understandably so--about the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They seem like a "bargain" at "only" $974 on TireRack. But I'm also considering the Continental ExtremeContact DW, for a few reasons:

1. They're $200 cheaper. Not a huge factor, but a factor.

2. I live in central Texas, and although it doesn't rain much here, when it does rain it rains hard, and driving on most performance tires becomes a tad insane. The DWs got top wet scores in Car & Driver's recent test of summer performance tires. (The Super Sports placed second in the wet.)

3. In the C&D test, these tires also ranked #1 for ride comfort and noise. Austin has harsh streets and I wouldn't mind some comfort. And I friggin' hate noisy tires.

If I were into autocross, I'd go with the Michelins. But I'm not. I'd like to believe I'd notice the slightly better dry grip of the Michelins in everyday driving but I doubt that's the case.

Anyone have any strong impressions one way or another? Anyone try both tires?
Ads by Google
Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: range rover
This isn't going to help you in anyway. But I have super sports on my car (only had it for a week) and love them, I am also in Austin.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Conti DWS has an all around tread

If you are looking for sporty its more of a compromise.
I think the DW is more sporty if that is what you want .
Can't comment on the other.
Nevermind got confused

Last edited by ctuna; 01-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Prior to the current summer set, I had the ContiSportContact 3s on my mother's 325i sport package. I thought it was very well suited to the 3er, good feel, quiet and smooth ride, and easy to drive at the (quite high) handling limits without excess squirm. Also very good hydroplaning resistance, I could go through deep puddles during rainstorms without a cause for concern. As a bonus, it also lasted over 50.000km (31k+ mls). I would have bought them again if cost was not a concern for her- the staggered setup meant the rears were $225 each.

Sorry, doesn't really answer your question, but that's my 0,02.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i, E90 335i, Tundra
I was in the same boat as you about 1 month ago. I ditched my OEM Bridgestone RFTs for a set of the Continental DW tires. After about a month of driving a mix of highway and surface streets, I've noticed a much comfier ride that the RFTs. Cornering is not as good. A good description I saw on line was that cornering in the RFTs felt like you were on rails (due to the stiffer sidewalls). I don't get that feeling as much with the Contis. Some people have suggested increasing psi by 2-3 to get back some of that feel. I've yet to try this.

They are quieter than the RFTs. Wet traction has been good. Although, I never really had an issue with the RFTs.

Another minor point (to me anyway) is that the PSSs "look" better on the stock style 162s. They have a beefier presence to them. The sidewalls on the DW tend to curve in a bit more than the PSS. Again, it's a minor thing.

Overall, I'm a happy camper. But like you said, if I visited the track every once in a while, I'd go for the Michelins.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
I've had both. The PSS are way overkill on the street, though the confidence they inspire is addictive. The DWS I've got currently are more than sufficient for everyday, even if you tend towards the more enthusiastic driving styles.

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
I've had both. The PSS are way overkill on the street, though the confidence they inspire is addictive. The DWS I've got currently are more than sufficient for everyday, even if you tend towards the more enthusiastic driving styles.
Wow! If they're not street tires, what do you think they were designed for, the track? They're not R-compound.

I just put the PSSs on my M Roadster a months or so ago. Awesome tires (and hardly "way overkill"). They're the best high-performance summer tires out there. Read the Tire Rack tests. Better, and probably longer lasting than the Bridgestone RE-11s I had on my S2000 for the street.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Wow! If they're not street tires, what do you think they were designed for, the track? They're not R-compound.

I just put the PSSs on my M Roadster a months or so ago. Awesome tires (and hardly "way overkill"). They're the best high-performance summer tires out there. Read the Tire Rack tests. Better, and probably longer lasting than the Bridgestone RE-11s I had on my S2000 for the street.
Just because they're not R-comps doesn't mean they're not excessive for the needs of a 335i on the street. They're amazing tires, don't get me wrong. They stick better than any other street tire I've had, but that level is just not needed IMO. The DWS, I believe, is a better performer for the money (about $80 / 24% less per corner in my application).

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
I got the DW in 245X35X19 & 265X30X19. They have a bit over 12K miles on them, been through one winter & have worked out very well. Both the tires you are looking at are very good when compared with the run flats. The DW's go over bumps without the car doing a big THUNK are excellent in the rain & hold much better from a powered standing start.

You have to be honest on how you are going to drive the car & how good you might be at it. The PSS's are rated somewhat higher but I don't think most drivers can push either of these tires to the limit on the street without being pretty dumb. The PSS was just more tire then I really needed for daily driving. I have run the DW's at the drag strip & they were very controllable compared to the run flats which took a way more effort to launch. I got excellent times & mph considering my level of modification. If I was doing track days I would get purpose built tires.

2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 01-03-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: GLK250BT, 335d, Jetta TDI
Dave, I know you mentioned that C&D rated the DWs 1st over the PSS, but I like TireRack's surveys, as that also tend to give a fair representation of a wide range of drivers' impressions and feedback on particular tires.

At TireRack's Max Performance summer tires ( http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP ), the PSS are actually rated higher than the DWs.

I have PSS after previously having SportContact 3s (I know, not exactly the same as the DWs, but very close) and I actually like the PSS much better in the rain. Dry their grip is insane and the ride quality is so much better than the RFT Potenzas.

I'm sure that both tires are very close, but from my experience, I'd give the edge to the PSS as they gave me the most enjoyable driving experience. I get it if you want to spend the $200 saved on DWs on something else if you don't want to go for the PSS.

BTW, my PSS are wearing very well, two summers on them (I run dedicated winters when the snow flies) and they have about 30,000mi on them and still look like new.

Cheers
D.
2001 Jetta TDI - Blue on Black

Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Convertible
Both are pretty good I guess - I just got myself all season MS A/S

Last edited by jaytank; 01-04-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
I have had two sets of Conti DW on my M3 for a summer tire and they provide excellent grip, comfort and longevity. I will stick with these tires. They are excellent in the wet.

NB: They feel quite soft when first mounted, which is a bit disconcerting, but once heat cycled (300-500 miles), they firm up really nicely to what you would hope for.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I had Hankook Ventus V12s on my RS4, as well as Michelin PSS. When I bought the Hanooks, many of the reviews were very similar to the Contis... Very quiet and grippy, but also very soft, maybe too soft. The RS4 is a pretty heavy car and the Hankooks were just too mushy for me. They gripped really well, but felt squirmy in the turns, especially S-turns. The car even felt a bit "Buick-like" and disconnected on the highway. So, after one summer, I ditched them and tried the PSS. Wow, what a difference. Very grippy and quiet as well, but MUCH better turn-in and corner stability. The squirminess was gone and I was a happy camper.

This summer, I'll be in the market for new rubber for my 335i. I'm torn between going with the PSS again, or trying the Contis. I'm worried the Contis might be almost too soft and comfy, like my experience with the Hankooks. If you read the TireRack reviews and sort by lowest rated, you'll see a lot of people complaining they Contis are too soft, so maybe I should go PSS again and hope my experience is the same as it was on the RS4.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328IX Sportwagon
Quote:
+1 I have driven my E91 with DWS tires at high speeds (140mph+) and have had no problems. I do feel them flex in tight turns but the traction is great.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 AM
E60 to E90 to E92

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA Diesel View Post
Dave, I know you mentioned that C&D rated the DWs 1st over the PSS, but I like TireRack's surveys, as that also tend to give a fair representation of a wide range of drivers' impressions and feedback on particular tires.

At TireRack's Max Performance summer tires ( http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP ), the PSS are actually rated higher than the DWs.

I have PSS after previously having SportContact 3s (I know, not exactly the same as the DWs, but very close) and I actually like the PSS much better in the rain. Dry their grip is insane and the ride quality is so much better than the RFT Potenzas.

I'm sure that both tires are very close, but from my experience, I'd give the edge to the PSS as they gave me the most enjoyable driving experience. I get it if you want to spend the $200 saved on DWs on something else if you don't want to go for the PSS.

BTW, my PSS are wearing very well, two summers on them (I run dedicated winters when the snow flies) and they have about 30,000mi on them and still look like new.

Cheers
D.

30,000 *miles* over two years on Michelin PSSs in a RWD diesel car putting out over 400 lb-ft of torque ... and the tires (especially the rear with your staggered sport package setup) still look like-new? What's your secret since you can't rotate? ... or did you mean to say kilometers?

2006 BMW E90 330i 6MT (Sparkling Graphite/Terra): retired
2008 BMW E60 Dinan M5 SMG (Indianapolis Red/Black): retired
2006 BMW E60 Dinan 550i 6MT (Titanium Grey/Auburn): retired
Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: GLK250BT, 335d, Jetta TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleez View Post
... or did you mean to say kilometers?
Nope, no rotation and already converted the 30,000mi from 50,000km. My 09 D has 110,000km (66,000mi) on it now and going strong. I only had the potenza RFTs for half a summer before I replaced them with the PSS.

I can't figure why the PSS are lasting so long, other than to say they are really good value. The ContiSportContact 3's I had on my E34 540i/6 didn't last as long and ended up wearing significantly on the inboard tread due to the camber. My D has about the same camber as my 540i (both were/are factory Sport suspension), but the tires have worn very well on the 335D.

I haven't physically measured the tread on the PSS, but visually I would say it's somewhere up in the 14/32 to 15/32 range (19/32 was new, IIRC)

Cheers
D.
2001 Jetta TDI - Blue on Black

Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
If you are looking for sporty its more of a compromise.
I think the DW is more sporty if that is what you want .
Can't comment on the other.
Nevermind got confused
He said DW. Not DWS. Huge difference there.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Just because they're not R-comps doesn't mean they're not excessive for the needs of a 335i on the street. They're amazing tires, don't get me wrong. They stick better than any other street tire I've had, but that level is just not needed IMO. The DWS, I believe, is a better performer for the money (about $80 / 24% less per corner in my application).
It is an all season tire and it drives like one. If you are used to a summer max performance tire you will hate the DWS. If I were the OP I would get the PSS or the pilot sport ZP run flats. This is not to put down the DW, but I have driven a 3 series wearing PSS and pilot sport ZP tires. These tires work great on the e90/91/92/93 platform.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 01-05-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
Just got my M3 and they came with Conti tires let's see how the tires perform during summer. I had PS2 on my E82 and they lasted over 205K miles which surprised me, what I heard so far Conti were loud after 10K miles and the grip is not as good as Michelin Pilot sport. Once my set is worn out definitely will replace them with Michelin super sport, I could be bias but not a fan of Conti tires I even run Michelin pro race tires on my bicycle.
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 PM
E60 to E90 to E92

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA Diesel View Post
Nope, no rotation and already converted the 30,000mi from 50,000km. My 09 D has 110,000km (66,000mi) on it now and going strong. I only had the potenza RFTs for half a summer before I replaced them with the PSS.

I can't figure why the PSS are lasting so long, other than to say they are really good value. The ContiSportContact 3's I had on my E34 540i/6 didn't last as long and ended up wearing significantly on the inboard tread due to the camber. My D has about the same camber as my 540i (both were/are factory Sport suspension), but the tires have worn very well on the 335D.

I haven't physically measured the tread on the PSS, but visually I would say it's somewhere up in the 14/32 to 15/32 range (19/32 was new, IIRC)

Cheers
D.
WOW!! Extremely impressive! That was more than enough validation to warrant a future PSS purchase for my car when the RE050A thumpflats at the rear reach the wear bars.

2006 BMW E90 330i 6MT (Sparkling Graphite/Terra): retired
2008 BMW E60 Dinan M5 SMG (Indianapolis Red/Black): retired
2006 BMW E60 Dinan 550i 6MT (Titanium Grey/Auburn): retired
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Convertible
My Michelin Pilot A/S sport performed quiet well today in VA snow. Granted main roads were just wet with little snow but internal roads had snow around and it drove fairly well - happy with these tires