Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 328iX Wagon
Sub Zero Starting Challenges

2009 E91 - my first winter with this CPO car. On the two mornings that the temperature has been -15 degrees the car started, but as follows:
The car cranked slowly as I'd expect for this temp with any car and any age battery; very cold. On the first 3 start attempts the engine turned over and ten quit almost immediately. On the 4th try, the engine turned over and ran fine.
The notable this here is that the car behaved this way on two different days, but both in this temp range. Clearly not a frozen gas line as the car ran perfectly once started. Once the engine turned over, that indicates it's not a battery issue.

I'm wondering if anyone else with similar vehicle has had similar experience?
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330xi
A few caveats to my input:
* 06 330xi
* Its only been down to 8 deg here so not as cold
* I've only had my car for a week so still getting to know it
* I have however had a car parked in the same place in the same conditions for 14 years so I'm familiar with the environmental impact

My guess would be it's colder than the computer really knows what to do with regarding it's start process (injectors and such. start buttons are fun but it's a little disconnect from the old turn the key and force it to crank). My car has similarly not been pleased with starting in the cold, it struggles but it does go on the first attempt without dying (again though, it's 20+ warmer). My old car always had worse trouble in the same weather, including quiting right after starting. Cold does bad things to everything, including the battery and the the computers that are trying to sort out what is and isn't working as they try to start the car are going to have some values they don't expect as a result. Personally I wouldn't worry, just expect a couple cranks in crazy cold weather. A new battery would likely help a little (age + cold = unhappy electricity) but it wouldn't start like in the summer. That's why they have battery warmer's which might be worth looking into if -15 isn't too out of range for your weather patterns...
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
I have an 07 335i with a brand new BMW battery. It has been about +15 degrees F here the past few mornings and the car cranks noticably slower but still starts in less than 1.5 seconds and it hasn't stalled. Stalling a few times at -15 should not be a concern unless it continues after the weather warms up.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: E90 TIAG 335i
I have an E36, E90, and a F30 and none of them stumble or start and then die in the cold. The E90 - 2009 335i - has started up right away at -30, and has had no issues this past week at 0 to -15. I wouldn't think that the symptoms you describe would be consistent with what I experience. It would be consistent with fuel injector issues, but I didn't think the 328i's had the same fuel pump/injector problems that the N54 engines had. I am on my third set of injectors and did have stumbling and hard starting before this latest set. That was in June though, nothing to do with cold weather.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
I have the same year E91. There was a battery recall on this car after about 2 years of ownership. They put a bigger battery, and since then it starts very well. Before that it cranked longer. -15C today and yesterday-no problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 325
Many problems in Ottawa .. the car wouldn't start after 3 nights of -30 .. needed a boost to get her to fire up .. after that, the car was stuck in LIMP MODE during the commute in .. man that limp mode is scary too drive around in !!

Note that I attach a trickle battery tender to the battery overnight .. when temps get this cold that seems to help .. BUT Even that didn't help this morn.

Maybe the boost whacked the computer into limp .. don't know , since at lunch she fired up OK and not in limp ...
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM

The other thing that occurred to me is .. perhaps the fact that the battery is BACK in the cold trunk area is part of our problems .. if the battery was in the engine bay it would at least get to warm up when the car is running ... as it stands, our bmw battery NEVER gets to warm up ALL WINTER !!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
From my experience, have never had any cold weather starting issues even when we've driven to Québéc (Montréal and Mont Tremblant). It'd be -18°C outside and it'd fire up . My X3 has been generally been parked outside for the last 6 years and it fires regardless of weather.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 PM

I haven't really had problems in the -20C range .. its the 3 or 4 consecutive nights at sub -30C is where problems seem to start. I am pretty sure my trickle battery tender keeps the battery at its maximum power - tho decreased by the cold .. it could not be charged up more in the morning.

cheers.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsbimmer View Post
I haven't really had problems in the -20C range .. its the 3 or 4 consecutive nights at sub -30C is where problems seem to start. I am pretty sure my trickle battery tender keeps the battery at its maximum power - tho decreased by the cold .. it could not be charged up more in the morning.

cheers.
A bit curious: How much highway driving do y'all with cold weather starting issues usually drive? The engine doesn't really warm up all that quickly in stop-and-go suburban driving. I know my 8km to work is short but because most of that involves 100km/h on the freeway, the engine warms up to near-normal temps (75-80°C). I also attempt to minimise the draw by using the heated seats/steering wheel moderately and shutting them off once they're warm.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Here in Phoenix, my x5 typically starts within a few cranks. I traveled to Flagstaff a few weeks ago, and it would not start in the 4 degree temperatures. Once the temp rose to 19 degrees, it started, but not easily.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
2009 E91 - my first winter with this CPO car. On the two mornings that the temperature has been -15 degrees the car started, but as follows:
The car cranked slowly as I'd expect for this temp with any car and any age battery; very cold. On the first 3 start attempts the engine turned over and ten quit almost immediately. On the 4th try, the engine turned over and ran fine.
The notable this here is that the car behaved this way on two different days, but both in this temp range. Clearly not a frozen gas line as the car ran perfectly once started. Once the engine turned over, that indicates it's not a battery issue.

I'm wondering if anyone else with similar vehicle has had similar experience?
I have not had this experience.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
I live in New Hampshire, and the past few weeks, especially last week, it's been between 0F and 20'ish or so Fahrenheit. My car is always garaged, but on the first start up of the day, my car has a VERY slight hesitation, but I just attribute it to the freezing cold temperatures. It does a little "eh eh" and starts off. I notice when I start it later on for lunch, around 12:30, after it's been sitting in the parking lot and the temperature hasn't even risen all that much (maybe at 20-30F now), it'll start up fine. It's just that first start up of the day that it has a little trouble. Car is still rock solid at 143,000 miles.