Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330xi
Retrofit A2DP iPod/iPhone control to 2006 330

I'm curious what it would take to get fully integrated A2DP (meaning the buttons on the wheel can be used to change tracks, and it knows to pause music when interrupting for phone calls, voice commands, etc.) for iPod/iPhone in a 2006 330 (logic 7 standard on the 330 if that's a factor).

Optimistically there would be an connector on the back of the head unit with an input for some form of iPod connector. Plug an iPod to A2DP dongle on that on you're done... I would be beyond amazed if this were the case...

I assume one would have to retrofit an iPod kit in, which some googling looks like it involves also wiring a new control panel and secondary display in among other things basically involving removing large chunks of the front interior including an airbag. And then tossing an A2DP receiver on that. That seems like quite a lot of work and I don't want to touch an airbag if I don't have to... and the end results are tons and tons of wires and connectors and controls which ultimately won't be used.

New models (starting 2010 I think?) you can get an A2DP receiver so possibly just replacing the head unit with one from a newer model with A2DP? but I think they require iDrive... so assuming non starter there...

To re-state this is regarding full integration with the existing buttons in the car. Already have a simple A2DP dongle plugged into the Aux and it works fine, just curious what it would take to get proper control without taking my hands off the wheel. Assuming it's crazy, but maybe someone has an idea...
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
Check the coding forum. If its even possible you will need a combination of hardware and software coding for your car.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
FYI look in the these sub forums

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

The bluetooth sticky at the top in the above forum will give some idea of how complicated and expensive it is especially on an older e9x.

I have been looking at doing this and my conclusion is the best way to do it is
with a Dension gateway 500s . See there website.

There is also this new radio that has everything but a2dp but requires some programming
to put in. (I don't know the details but its not straighfoward as I would like)
And you will need a coder to install it because BMW won't .

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687463

Then there is the aftermarket head unit route which has a big set of problems.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 PM

excellent info, thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: '07 335i
I have an appointment to get the Denison unit installed 02-Feb. I can post afterwards to let you know how it works out. I have found options for the logic 7 system are limited at best and knowledgeable installers/vendors are even harder to find.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
How much are they charging ?

Is it the new gateway 500s ?
How much are they charging you?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
To be honest, your best bet is probably trying to find a "kensington liquid aux bluetooth" or similar. The kensington product is basically an A2DP music receiver that plugs into the aux jack in the center console. However, unlike most basic A2DP receivers, it comes with a wireless remote that you velcro to your steering wheel that can skip tracks/play+pause. It also has a USB port so that you can charge the phone if you want to. Although not 100% integrated this is likely the cheapest option. Unfortunately, kensington stopped making this very useful device a year or so ago, but they show up on ebay every now and again. Perhaps another company makes something similar now.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 AM

Yea, given the cost of any option I'm planning on just sticking with my simple A2DP receiver. It's super low profile so doesn't clutter things up and really the only thing I would gain and use by breaking it out would be skipping tracks without touching the device and maybe hands free siri as well if it connected up that way, but that's not worth 500+ or a 3rd party controller stuck to something if I could even find one. Would be nice but the cost or complexity of any other option just doesn't make sense for me.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: '07 335i
Quote:
Is it the new gateway 500s ?
How much are they charging you?
It is. $820+tax installed. I'll be getting a small price break because my brother-in-law is also having one installed which will bring me closer to $720+tax

Quote:
Yea, given the cost of any option I'm planning on just sticking with my simple A2DP receiver.
I would do the same if I could. My search started with a broken aux input and a dealer quote of $1000+ to fix. The Denison unit with A2DP/USB/Aux and retaining original functionality... is cheaper than BMW fixing my Aux., assuming it all works as planned. Go figure.