Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
PlayStation 4 - News, speculation, drools, flames and more...

Subject says it all...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Ads by Google
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...playstation-4/

Quote:
Today is an exciting day for gamers everywhere. As you may have seen live with millions of others across the world, just moments ago we introduced PlayStation 4 (PS4), our next-generation console that will deliver breakthrough gaming experiences for our fans starting this holiday season.

PlayStation 4 is centered on all of you – the gamers. It redefines rich and immersive gameplay with powerful graphics and speed, intelligent personalization, deeply integrated social capabilities, and innovative second-screen features. When we designed PlayStation 4, we focused on building an architecture that will allow the greatest game developers in the industry to push boundaries and dig deep within their imaginations to create the most immersive and unique games for you to enjoy.

The future of PlayStation is all about great games and entertainment, and at PlayStation Meeting 2013, we brought some of the brightest and most creative minds from the development community on stage to unveil the games that will define PS4. A partial initial lineup for PlayStation 4 includes first-party games from Guerilla Games (Killzone: Shadow Fall), Sucker Punch (inFamous Second Son), Evolution Studios (Driveclub), and Japan Studio (Knack), as well as titles from our partners such as Activision/Bungie (Destiny), Blizzard Entertainment (Diablo III), Capcom (Deep Down), and Ubisoft (Watch_Dogs). PlayStation also reinforced its commitment to self-publishing and the independent development community by having Jonathan Blow onstage who gave a sneak peek of his upcoming title The Witness. Finally, the incredible minds at Media Molecule and Quantic Dream gave glimpses of their conceptualization process and the future of gameplay with some remarkable footage. We only scratched the surface at the event, and will have many more exciting titles to come.

With so much amazing content in development for PlayStation 4, we want to give our fans every opportunity to check out virtually any PS4 game when it becomes available. In the future, when a gamer sees a title of interest in PlayStation Store, they can immediately start playing a portion of the actual game.

Our next generation console will change the way you interact with friends while you play. PlayStation 4 lets you instantly share images and videos of your favorite gameplay moments on Facebook with a single press on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller's "share" button. You can also broadcast while you play in real-time through Ustream, allowing friends to comment or jump into your game in new ways. Be sure to check out the post from Shu Yoshida, WWS President, for his thoughts on DUALSHOCK 4 and the "share" features.

With PlayStation 4 we also want you to access your games quicker than ever before. PS4's "suspend mode" eliminates the load time on your saved game and allows you to immediately return to where you left off by pressing the power button. PlayStation 4's background downloading and updating capability also allows you to immediately play digital titles as they download, or update the system when the hardware is powered off.

Leveraging PlayStation Network with Gaikai technology, PS4 will make it easier for you to play your favorite games and access content wherever you are. We see PS Vita as the ultimate companion device for PS4 and it's our long-term vision to make most PS4 games playable on PS Vita, so you can bring your favorite games from the big-screen TV to your PS Vita over Wi-Fi. We're also introducing a "PlayStation App" for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices that acts as a second screen, allowing for unique gameplay possibilities such as viewing maps during an adventure game or remotely watching friends play during an epic battle-right from a smartphone or tablet.

With so much to look forward to in 2013, I want to take a moment to thank you for following PlayStation through our incredible journey and allowing us to bring the most advanced hardware, software and networked gaming experiences into millions of homes around the world. We're excited about this next chapter, and will continue to provide you with more details about PlayStation 4 and the broader PlayStation ecosystem, as we get closer to launch this holiday season.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Considering the hoopla around the event, they really didn't disclose much of anything. I figure E3 will really showcase both the next XBOX and PS4 for proper comparison. Since both are likely released around the same time this time around, it'll be quite interesting how they'll fare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Considering the hoopla around the event, they really didn't disclose much of anything. I figure E3 will really showcase both the next XBOX and PS4 for proper comparison. Since both are likely released around the same time this time around, it'll be quite interesting how they'll fare.
agreed - personally - I'm a PS kinda guy - I prefer my online gaming without monthly bills - but who knows if that will change with PS4 or not...

Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
agreed - personally - I'm a PS kinda guy - I prefer my online gaming without monthly bills - but who knows if that will change with PS4 or not...
Ironically, for no good reason I have always been an XBOX guy but have no allegiance.

I bought an original XBOX when the PS2 was further along the path and almost EOL. I got a really good deal on it with a set of great games included. Had to replace the DVD drive on it which irked me. ($80 self installed...for a DVD drive!)

Later, I got a really good bundle deal on a XBOX 360 when the PS3 was still super expensive. I did not have a HDTV at that time, so the BluRay capability had no weight on me. A few months later I did buy an HDTV and had I purchased it before, I likely would have ended up with the PS3 simply because of the BluRay player.

I have been incredibly pleased with the 360 and will once again evaluate both offerings when the time comes. There is no way I'm touching any of these consoles within the first year, though. Way too many issues, usually.

XBOX Live is a polished offering that I do not mind paying for at all (I usually get the discounted 12 month cards for $39.99...that is hardly a cost). Everytime I see PSN on a friend's console I'm not much impressed. I guess you get what you pay for.

(To be fair, I have spent little time on PSN to objectively rate it...let's just say that the subscription fee for LIVE is not something that'll make or break it for me...the fact that I'm a Forza Motorsport addict likely will have me leaning XBOX anyway )

Quote:

Last edited by cwinter; 02-21-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM

Forza *almost* had me buying a used 360!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
I went PS3 for Blu-ray as I use it more for a Netflix/movie device than gaming. The fact that the PS4 at least from what I can gather wont support PS3 games I won't be in any hurry to upgrade.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
I went PS3 for Blu-ray as I use it more for a Netflix/movie device than gaming. The fact that the PS4 at least from what I can gather wont support PS3 games I won't be in any hurry to upgrade.
I'm pretty sure PS3 games will be supported, and they even announced some PS2 and 1 compatibility, likely through an online store type system like the Wii (inexpensive, classic games).

EDIT: Just read that Sony indicates PS3 games downloaded through PSN would not transfer to the PS4 but PS3 games on physical media will work.

Quote:

Last edited by cwinter; 02-21-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

Send a message via AIM to Missmodena310
Mein Auto: BMW
I wonder if the ps vita can sync better with the 4 than 3. That being said I know what to get my husband this Christmas.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmodena310 View Post
I wonder if the ps vita can sync better with the 4 than 3. That being said I know what to get my husband this Christmas.
yay! PlayStation Network failure and frustration courtesy of Sony on December 25th in the Missmodena310 household then...

Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
Enjoy!

GOLDMAN: Sony's PS4 Is So Lame It May Cause A 'Downward Spiral' For The Company

http://www.businessinsider.com/goldm...-on-ps4-2013-2
Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
I'm enjoying my 360 with Kinect. I thinking waiting to buy new systems is always best. They just come with too many problems when they are newly designed.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGilmore View Post
GOLDMAN: Sony's PS4 Is So Lame It May Cause A 'Downward Spiral' For The Company

http://www.businessinsider.com/goldm...-on-ps4-2013-2
We've been hearing for a couple of years that Apple is the biggest threat to the console market... time will tell... perhaps eventually, but until they end up shipping tablets with much, MUCH faster processors, I don't see it. We have also not seen a single add-on controller for tablets as yet - using the tilt-screen as a controller is painful at best, ludicrously hard to control and SUPER expensive to drop.. not a good thing thing at all.. PS-Vita was somewhere in between... and I don't see MS or Sony being stopped by any phone/tablet yet... 3-5 years out.. maybe... but I don't think so *yet*.... time will tell...

Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: German
I'm excited for this. I was going to buy a Vita. Now I will have to get both
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Ones and Zeros

Quote:
We've been hearing for a couple of years that Apple is the biggest threat to the console market... time will tell... perhaps eventually, but until they end up shipping tablets with much, MUCH faster processors, I don't see it. We have also not seen a single add-on controller for tablets as yet - using the tilt-screen as a controller is painful at best, ludicrously hard to control and SUPER expensive to drop.. not a good thing thing at all.. PS-Vita was somewhere in between... and I don't see MS or Sony being stopped by any phone/tablet yet... 3-5 years out.. maybe... but I don't think so *yet*.... time will tell...
I honestly don't see Apple taking over. Playing games on a tablet or iPod is way different from using a console. Apple stuff is great for the kids, but I think the gamers market for consoles will continue head strong.

My kids (5 and 8), actually enjoy the 360 more than iPods. Especially the Kinect where they jump around and what not. The 360 and PS3 set the standards for future gaming. As long as they both continue with improving their platforms, Apple will not succeed them.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

Send a message via AIM to Missmodena310
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
yay! PlayStation Network failure and frustration courtesy of Sony on December 25th in the Missmodena310 household then...
OEeek I'll buy it ,then plan my self a weekend away while he fights with that
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
i worked on the xbox360 at msft a long time ago. i don't own one though. i have a ps2 and a wii.

so any specs on the ps4 console?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
i worked on the xbox360 at msft a long time ago. i don't own one though.
Did you design the Xbox CPU at IBM Austin, Texas?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 PM

PS3 & Xbox 360 Story

The Power core used in the Xbox 360 and the PS3 was originally developed in a joint venture between Sony, Toshiba and IBM. While development was still ongoing, IBM–which retained the rights to use the chip in products for other clients–contracted with Microsoft to use the new Power core in their console. This arrangement left Sony engineers in an IBM facility unknowingly working on features to support Sony’s biggest competitor, and left Shippy and other IBM engineers feeling conflicted in their loyalties.

Microsoft is the agile hare to Sony’s tortoise. Individual Microsoft engineers come across as having more initiative–and a certain cockiness to go with it–but their desires are less grandiose than Kutaragi’s and they seem to have a better idea what they want. Microsoft is focused on software and services. They want simpler hardware than Sony’s Cell processor and they’re flexible in cutting features as long as they make their intended ship date. Because they’re developing a processor more similar to an off-the-shelf PowerPC chip, Microsoft is able to put development kits in the hands of game developers a year and a half before Sony. Because they control their manufacturing risks, they’re able to put final hardware on shelves a year before Sony.

http://gamearchitect.net/2009/03/01/...-game-machine/

Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 PM

PS4

http://www.thegadgetmasters.com/2013...been-released/

Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Ones and Zeros

Why AMD?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
Did you design the Xbox CPU at IBM Austin, Texas?
no
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
Why AMD?
AMD is currently "top dog" in the gfx world in many professional opinions and I expect$$ was some factor. Sny learned that making their own chips is a *really* expensive game.

Last edited by wyb; 02-22-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: fax word = gfx world - gdmnt on the ipad.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Ones and Zeros

Quote:
AMD is currently "top dog" in the gfx world in many professional opinions and I expect$$ was some factor. Sny learned that making their own chips is a *really* expensive game.
Makes sense.

I'm digging the new control though
Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Personally, I don't see how the PS4 could be that much better than its predecessor. If anything, demand will not be as high as it was for consoles in the 90s to the early 2000s.