Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Mein Auto: 2003 Audi A4 3.0
Snow Leopard less secure than Windows? Jeepers..

http://news.techworld.com/security/3...s-hacker/?pn=1

Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to milski Send a message via MSN to milski
Mein Auto: dirty 330i
And my BMW is less secure than one of these armored cars that carries money around. Still, I don't feel any urge to replace it.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Gooble Goobledygoook

Mein Auto: 08 335xi E92
I'm wondering about the intentions of the "Mac security guru". Is his intention to help the consumers by notifying Apple of its OS' flaws? Nope, because (1) the flaws (which are flaws according to his definitions) were not fixed, and (2) he announced the flaws to the whole world, enabling hackers to focus their exploits, rather than discussing behind closed doors with Apple's security folks.

So, what are his intentions? To boost his reputation? To make $$ by blackmailing Apple?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
And so the security quagmire continues.

Apple admits 'widespread cyber-security breach' by Chinese hackers
Quote:
In a move that Reuters calls "an unprecedented admission of a widespread cyber-security breach," Apple (AAPL) on Tuesday admitted that it was the victim of several attacks by the same group of Chinese hackers who previously targeted Facebook (FB) and other large companies. The hackers were able to infect a "small number" of Mac computers that belonged to Apple employees, although it said that "there was no evidence that any data left Apple." The company plans to release a software tool later today to protect customers from the malicious software used in the attacks. Facebook revealed last Friday that it was the victim of a sophisticated attack by a group of hackers that were traced back to China.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:51 AM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
what else would one expect???

Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
I've been using Macs and still do since the 80's, I no longer use the iPhone, had every iPhone including the boring poorly executed 5. Frankly I'm a little concerned with the direction Apple is heading....literally.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace88 View Post
I've been using Macs and still do since the 80's, I no longer use the iPhone, had every iPhone including the boring poorly executed 5. Frankly I'm a little concerned with the direction Apple is heading....literally.
their iOS is now 6 years old and no innovative changes since.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
You're not the only one:
Woz worries Apple is in danger of becoming uncool
Quote:
With analysts of all stripes predicting more doom for Apple (AAPL), you just knew that Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak couldn’t resist getting in on the action.

In an interview with Bloomberg this week, Wozniak says that it’s been a while since Apple has released a new product that has set the standard for the rest of the industry and that the company risks losing its “halo” if it doesn’t come out with something truly fresh and innovative soon.

“We used to have these ads, I’m a Mac and I’m a PC, and the Mac was always the cool guy,” Wozniak told Bloomberg. “And ouch, it’s painful, because we kind of are losing that.”

But Woz does think there is some hope for Apple: The “iWatch.”
Wozniak tells Bloomberg that he’s encouraged by reports that Apple has dedicated over 100 engineers to crafting a smartwatch that may be capable of interacting with Apple’s computers, tablets and smartphones. Wozniak says he’ll be especially excited for the iWatch if it comes with Siri fully installed and ready to take voice commands.

“Apple can keep engineers working so intently toward the right product, you don’t have to rush something out ahead of time,” he said.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
So do you think Steve Jobs really was the face of Apple and now that he's gone they're doomed to fail?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 PM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluesky View Post
So do you think Steve Jobs really was the face of Apple and now that he's gone they're doomed to fail?
now they should bring back "the woz". dump cookie.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
The fad was doomed to fail...

Quote:
whether or not the company is doomed depends on how they hold it together, considering they're lagging competitively and now playing defense. Reality is, peak Apple is in!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Great question. I think Tim Cook although apparently appointed by Jobs personally is NOT the man to lead Apple. Tim Cook seems too reserved and gun shy for that role and not as nerdy and creative as Jobs was. Even more concerning lately is their iOS and hardware implementation, it's dead in the water and Jonathan Ive has been MIA since the shake up. Some say Jonathan is working on iOS7 if so who the hell is working on hardware design? Couple all of this with the htc One and the Galaxy S4 coming out in a couple weeks....Apple is in real trouble.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Great question. I think Tim Cook although apparently appointed by Jobs personally is NOT the man to lead Apple. Tim Cook seems too reserved and gun shy for that role and not as nerdy and creative as Jobs was. Even more concerning lately is their iOS and hardware implementation, it's dead in the water and Jonathan Ive has been MIA since the shake up. Some say Jonathan is working on iOS7 if so who the hell is working on hardware design? Couple all of this with the htc One and the Galaxy S4 coming out in a couple weeks....Apple is in real trouble.
The "power" of Steve Jobs is in his salesmanship abilities. He was a cult leader who could sell a bad antenna on the iPhone as a "you're holding it wrong" and everybody would believe him.

Apple didn't have earth shattering products. They had good or average products in a shiny design that Jobs sold them like it's the beginning and end of the coolest item that you could hold and people immediately think you are the top dog in Starbux.

Now that Jobs is gone, it is like somebody turned off those soft flattering lights, and turned on the florescent. And that lady you were looking at is not as pretty in the bright light as she was in the soft warmer lights.

Before, with Jobs, people looked a the halo of Apple products.
After his death, people are starting to look at the product of Apple products.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
The "power" of Steve Jobs is in his salesmanship abilities. He was a cult leader who could sell a bad antenna on the iPhone as a "you're holding it wrong" and everybody would believe him.

Apple didn't have earth shattering products. They had good or average products in a shiny design that Jobs sold them like it's the beginning and end of the coolest item that you could hold and people immediately think you are the top dog in Starbux.

Now that Jobs is gone, it is like somebody turned off those soft flattering lights, and turned on the florescent. And that lady you were looking at is not as pretty in the bright light as she was in the soft warmer lights.

the ipod shuffle isn't looking as brilliant
Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Well put Can't argue with a thing you said.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Actually, the one item that made Apple what it is today is the iPod Classic. It wasn't the first mp3 player - I had several other ones first before I finally gave in and bought one. However, its interface was so simple and far superior that it utter dominated the market, to the point where car manufacturers such as BMW built interfaces just for it, and an entire market evolved for accessories. iPod was synonymous with "mp3 player" just like Kleenex is with facial tissue.

The problem is that was a long time ago in tech industry years - back in the beginning of the PS2 era, and we're now looking forward to the PS4 era.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................