Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: GT 530d
Challenge for the RetroFitters

Hi Guys,

I've got an F07 with (of course) Rear View Camera and the original Trailer Hitch.

Everything works most beautifully until the trailer is hitched.

What I really would like is this:
Fit an original BMW-rear view camera onto the trailer and as soon as the electrical contact is established have the rear view from the trailer camera.

Would this be possible at all ??
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: .
Es ist sicherlich eine Möglichkeit...

You'd need a separate harness/plug for the camera module to be connected as the existing coupling would not have enough wires

You'd need to find a clever way to automatically deactivate the trunk mounted camera upon connection of the trailer (you could use a ground activated relay system)

Find a clean way to tap into the (possibly coaxial) video/power cable on your existing camera and route this new harness to a place near the hitch where a plug or pigtail could be safely stowed while not in use.

If you're determined you could complete this project in an afternoon. Good idea by the way!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: GT 530d
thank you itschase for your comment, BUT

I am at a loss with a welding iron and as well completely lost with wiring and whatever comes with that.
And I am not daring to try.....

So I thought that - when reading here and in other forums - I thougt that there must be somebody out there with some advice.
Means that whoever has retrofitted the rear view camera (or offering this service) might have the necessary expertise on how my idea might be possible.

So, stand up, Gurus, and show yourselves.....
Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: .
I've been retrofitting for years and know BMW electronics well. Good luck with this venture