Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
Possible to add subwoofers in the trunk with bmw 4 series?

I've always had a nice aftermarket audio system in all my previously owned cars and with my new 4 series on its way to me I'd like to know if theres any possible way to add subwoofers to the trunk with a car that's equipped with the Harmon Kardon system? I want to put 2 12's in a sealed enclosure in the trunk.
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2015, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: 435i 2015
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
i've always had a nice aftermarket audio system in all my previously owned cars and with my new 4 series on its way to me i'd like to know if theres any possible way to add subwoofers to the trunk with a car that's equipped with the harmon kardon system? I want to put 2 12's in a sealed enclosure in the trunk.
+1
435i Luxury Line 2015 /MPPK /Dinan Stage 1 ecu software and harness/ Dinan exhaust/HK / Driver assist,Driver assist plus/Imperial Blue and Saddle Brown int,M sport brakes,Tech pk,Premium ,Side/top cameras
335i with M performance Kit 2015 for DW
Done with American cars!!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 435i, X5
Have you seen the sealed boxes from Musicar? They have several amp/sub kits that look OEM, if that matters to you. There are are a few guys running their kits with the HK system, with great results.

'14 435i | m-sport | 6mt | dhp | mpe | coded | etc!

Last edited by 83883; 02-21-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: Alpinweiss F32
Here is my subwoofer enclosure from MusicarNW. JL Audio Sub and Amp. I love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MusicarNW.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	493690  
2015 435i ///M Sport | Alpine White | Coral Red | 19" | Auto | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Dynamic Handling | Lighting | Premium | Technology | M-Sport Brakes | Rear Sunshade | HK | Leather Dashboard | MPPK | MPE | Leather Dashboard | Dinan Suspension | BMWCCA #409820
PCD: 10/31/2014
Old 02-21-2015, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Wow I'll have to look into this. What model JL amp and sub do you have? And is this easy to install yourself if you have the HK system.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Wow I'll have to look into this. What model JL amp and sub do you have? And is this easy to install yourself if you have the HK system.
The Subwoofer Driver is the 10W3v3-2 and the amplifier is the XD500/3v2.

I think installation is fairly easy, but I had an installer do it. Musicar recommends that on 2014 and 2015 models for whatever reason.

You'll see on their website that they have two options...........Add a Subwoofer and Full Base systems.

I got the Stage 2 Full Bass system. Two channels on the amp are used to power the underseat mid bass drivers and the crossover for them is set so that they only are asked to do what the are capable of. So Musicar calls the system "More Musical". Beats me.
2015 435i ///M Sport | Alpine White | Coral Red | 19" | Auto | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Dynamic Handling | Lighting | Premium | Technology | M-Sport Brakes | Rear Sunshade | HK | Leather Dashboard | MPPK | MPE | Leather Dashboard | Dinan Suspension | BMWCCA #409820
Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post

I think installation is fairly easy, but I had an installer do it. Musicar recommends that on 2014 and 2015 models for whatever reason.

You'll see on their website that they have two options...........Add a Subwoofer and Full Base systems.

I got the Stage 2 Full Bass system. Two channels on the amp are used to power the underseat mid bass drivers and the crossover for them is set so that they only are asked to do what the are capable of. So Musicar calls the system "More Musical". Beats me.
From initial inspection it looks much better than Bavsound. This has the amplifier and crossovers along with the enclosure for the trunk.
I was looking for something to improve the bass sound from 200 kz downward. That seems to be where the HK system really falls apart. Once you ask the underseat speakers to increase volume, the distortion and loss of clarity are noticeable.

I don't want to just replace speakers but add amplifier and have ability to interact with equalizer of HK logic 7 display.
This sounds promising so I contacted them for more info and specifications.
Thank you for posting to this thread and mentioning Musicar.
I do have local installer since it seems that electrical power and fuse box will need to be accessed.
Really wish that BMW had added decent speakers all the way not just tweeters and midranges then cheapened out on woofers.
435i Luxury Line 2015 /MPPK /Dinan Stage 1 ecu software and harness/ Dinan exhaust/HK / Driver assist,Driver assist plus/Imperial Blue and Saddle Brown int,M sport brakes,Tech pk,Premium ,Side/top cameras
Old 02-21-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon44 View Post
From initial inspection it looks much better than Bavsound. This has the amplifier and crossovers along with the enclosure for the trunk.
I was looking for something to improve the bass sound from 200 kz downward. That seems to be where the HK system really falls apart. Once you ask the underseat speakers to increase volume, the distortion and loss of clarity are noticeable.

I don't want to just replace speakers but add amplifier and have ability to interact with equalizer of HK logic 7 display.
This sounds promising so I contacted them for more info and specifications.
Thank you for posting to this thread and mentioning Musicar.
I do have local installer since it seems that electrical power and fuse box will need to be accessed.
Really wish that BMW had added decent speakers all the way not just tweeters and midranges then cheapened out on woofers.
I received my BAVSOUND speakers last week. It is just to cold and snowy out to deal with it. I'll have my installation guy install them soon. In my E92 with HK, changing the speakers to a combination of BAVSOUND and Focal along with replacing the underseats with with Earthquakes (powered by a separate amp) made a world of difference.

Thus far, the subwoofer has provided the low end and I'm hoping the BAVSOUND speakers complete the sound.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 428xi
Are you happy with the bass that you get out of that 1 sub? Just curious as I'm currently planning my own system

Quote:

Old 02-22-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegill View Post
Are you happy with the bass that you get out of that 1 sub? Just curious as I'm currently planning my own system
Absolutely!! Especially with the volume control at your fingertips. The low end is covered.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Absolutely!! Especially with the volume control at your fingertips. The low end is covered.
You are helping many with the updated advice. I didn't see Bavsound package offered for 435 coupe. Perhaps a call will be better than their website. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon44 View Post
You are helping many with the updated advice. I didn't see Bavsound package offered for 435 coupe. Perhaps a call will be better than their website. Thanks.
Just enter in your car and the website displays what is available.

http://www.bavsound.com/Stage-One/
Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
A little sarcastic comment

Don't you guys know? Adding a sub and amp will cause the "Battery Discharge" condition to happen the instant you turn on the stereo and start sucking electrons? What are you thinking?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Don't you guys know? Adding a sub and amp will cause the "Battery Discharge" condition to happen the instant you turn on the stereo and start sucking electrons? What are you thinking?
I've been sucking electrons for years!!