Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330 cic ED
Coral Red

Has the coral red color changed between 2014 and 2015 models? Some of the pictures I've seen online are very red, but the configurator is more of a burgundy color. I don't think my dealer has a red interior on the lot, although an online search makes me think a dealer about an hour away might have a coupe.

I've ordered a white convertible with coral red for an ED, but am concerned that it may be a little too bright and flashy for me. Unfortunately, saddle brown isn't an option with M-Sport, so if I don't stick with red, I'm left with either a black or tan interior (the oyster white only looks good with dark color cars, I think).

I have a little time to make changes but need to figure this out soon.

If I could do it, I'd order a Mystic Blue exterior with a tan interior like the e46. That was a great color combination.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: F32 428i Coupe
It probably hasn't changed.

Coral red looks different in different photos. Here are two taken the same day in the same place - one with flash and one without and it looks like 2 different colours.

The best description I can come up with is "brick red". That might not help though as I'm thinking of Aussie bricks.

Last edited by Tony M; 01-14-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubens View Post
Has the coral red color changed between 2014 and 2015 models? Some of the pictures I've seen online are very red, but the configurator is more of a burgundy color. I don't think my dealer has a red interior on the lot, although an online search makes me think a dealer about an hour away might have a coupe.

I've ordered a white convertible with coral red for an ED, but am concerned that it may be a little too bright and flashy for me. Unfortunately, saddle brown isn't an option with M-Sport, so if I don't stick with red, I'm left with either a black or tan interior (the oyster white only looks good with dark color cars, I think).

I have a little time to make changes but need to figure this out soon.

If I could do it, I'd order a Mystic Blue exterior with a tan interior like the e46. That was a great color combination.

Thanks!

I think these photos are more true-to life than the ones that were posted earlier, but Coral Red needs to be seen in person. Red's are the toughest colors for cameras to photograph and LCD screens to reproduce, it never looks correct or consistent in photos. Go take a test drive at your dealer.

BJ
Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
I don't think it has changed. I was in a parking lot when an E92 pulled up next to me in the exact same color combination and at first I though it was F3x.

I think this photo of my car shows the color pretty accurately.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...30/msport6.jpg

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Old 01-15-2015, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 28I X-line
I have the Coral Red interior in my Alpine White 2014 428 Coupe and I absolutely believe that any on line pictures I've seen exaggerate the RED, meaning the actual color is not as loud as the pictures show. It is more of a deeper muted red and is classy and gorgeous. You should try to see one in person before ordering, you won't have any regrets or second thoughts once you see it. I also have the high gloss black trim which absolutely compliments the Coral Red.

My color combo was easy because it was on the Dealers lot, I just lucked out
Old 01-15-2015, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Convertible
Congrats. I ordered AW w/ Coral Red F33 (ED) too. I've never been much of a white or red fan but saw this combo at a dealer and immediately fell in love. Coral Red is more muted -- not as dark as burgundy, but closer in brightest to that than the "stop light red" it photographs as. I've NEVER seen a really accurate amateur picture of CR. The BMW site shows is most accurately. Whatever you saw in person is what it looks like. Don't worry it hasn't changed.

Gone but not forgotten:
'96 Z3 '00 Z3 2.8 LCI '03 Z4 3.0
'07 and '11 335i 'verts
Old 01-15-2015, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-sport
coral red

I didn't initially love the tone. My dealer had one in stock and it struck me as a bit orange-ish. I really wanted something richer/darker (like the S4). But I agree on it being a nice contrast compared to black or beige, so I pulled the trigger and ordered it. The interesting part is it appears to me that my car is less orange then the one I looked at. Perhaps it was the sportline red trim that didn't exactly match? or could the hides take dye differently? Doesn't matter - I have grown to like it. Nighttime picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	486759  
Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ6pack View Post
I didn't initially love the tone. My dealer had one in stock and it struck me as a bit orange-ish.
Agree.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV Build Thread
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 01-15-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
Congrats. I ordered AW w/ Coral Red F33 (ED) too. I've never been much of a white or red fan but saw this combo at a dealer and immediately fell in love. Coral Red is more muted -- not as dark as burgundy, but closer in brightest to that than the "stop light red" it photographs as. I've NEVER seen a really accurate amateur picture of CR. The BMW site shows is most accurately. Whatever you saw in person is what it looks like. Don't worry it hasn't changed.
I've emailed my dealer to see if they have one in stock. According to the web, the dealer in Baton Rouge does have one, and I may have an opportunity to stop there next week. I hate to ask them to show me something since I'm going with another dealer, but I have given them business before.

My problem is that I haven't seen the red and some of the pictures give me concern that it is very bright. A solution might be to go with the leather dash, as that makes the entire dash black....
Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
I don't think it has changed. I was in a parking lot when an E92 pulled up next to me in the exact same color combination and at first I though it was F3x.

I think this photo of my car shows the color pretty accurately.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...30/msport6.jpg
How did you get an entirely black dash without leather? The other photos I've seen are either black upper/red lower or all black with leather.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
I've emailed my dealer to see if they have one in stock. According to the web, the dealer in Baton Rouge does have one, and I may have an opportunity to stop there next week. I hate to ask them to show me something since I'm going with another dealer, but I have given them business before.

My problem is that I haven't seen the red and some of the pictures give me concern that it is very bright. A solution might be to go with the leather dash, as that makes the entire dash black....
I bought it sight unseen and its awesome. There are some color managed pictures in my "for sale" thread in my sig.

Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA # 471893)

ED DELIVERED! 2015 ///M3 SO over full SO with CF Trim, Exec & Light Pkg, Adaptive Suspension, CF roof, Harman Kardon ,6MT
SOLD 2013 335i ///M Sport
My epic ED blog http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Old 01-15-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
I bought it sight unseen and its awesome. There are some color managed pictures in my "for sale" thread in my sig.
Vonmayr, I first considered Estoril with red! Once I saw Estoril, though, I moved on to white. (Nothing can really replace Mystic Blue for me.).

Thanks for the link to your pictures. The red looks a bit more muted then some of the other pictures. I'm thinking that it will work with the leather (black) dash. Maybe it was the red plastic that was throwing me off.

Now I just have to figure out what trim with the all black dash... aluminum trim, I suppose, although Anthracite would be interesting.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:27 AM
When will then be now?

Mein Auto: 435i GC
Definitely try to see it in person. Here are pics from my 2015:

Last edited by jgrgnt; 01-16-2015 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:32 AM
When will then be now?

Quote:
Mystic Blue was very nice. I would have loved to pair Natural Brown leather and Topaz Blue. My E46 was Topaz on Black. Fond memories...
Old 01-16-2015, 12:51 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:

Now I just have to figure out what trim with the all black dash... aluminum trim, I suppose, although Anthracite would be interesting.

Pretty good rule of thumb:

With an all-black upper and lower dash you need some contrast, get the Aluminum.

With a 50/50 colored (Red, Saddle, see my cars above) upper dash and black lower dash you want to avoid adding a third color, get Anthracite or Ash.

Also pay attention to the color of the accent trim, that can add complication too. I went with Aluminum as the accent stripe for both.

For both my F30 and my F36 I chose Anthracite (with the Saddle) and Ash (with the Coral Red) because they blend into the black upper dash and made a nice, clean 50/50 story and didn't add all that aluminum or brown wood.

BJ
Old 01-16-2015, 01:08 AM
When will then be now?

Quote:
How did you get an entirely black dash without leather? The other photos I've seen are either black upper/red lower or all black with leather.

Thanks!
On the 3 series, the dash is all black when ordering Coral.

Last edited by jgrgnt; 01-16-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-16-2015, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Quote:
but the configurator is more of a burgundy color.
Not even close. I wish they would get something like a burgundy.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 AM

Thanks for all of the pictures. I'm going to my dealer tomorrow and if they don't have a car with red (it occurs to me that they might have a different series where I would at least get to see it), then I'm going to avoid it. I don't want to risk getting to Munich and not liking the combination and I've seen so many variations online now that my head is spinning! In the event that I don't get coral red, I think I will either go with mineral wHite exterior and black interior with anthracite and aluminum accents OR Estoril Blue and tan interior with burl. I need to see the estoril again, though. I liked it when I first saw it but thought it might be a bit too flashy. Seeing it on a non overcast day might make a difference.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 428GC M-Sport
Think about Estoril with Ivory interior, one of the posters here has it on a 4GC looks very good.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Convertible
Quote:
Thanks for all of the pictures. I'm going to my dealer tomorrow and if they don't have a car with red (it occurs to me that they might have a different series where I would at least get to see it), then I'm going to avoid it. I don't want to risk getting to Munich and not liking the combination and I've seen so many variations online now that my head is spinning! In the event that I don't get coral red, I think I will either go with mineral wHite exterior and black interior with anthracite and aluminum accents OR Estoril Blue and tan interior with burl. I need to see the estoril again, though. I liked it when I first saw it but thought it might be a bit too flashy. Seeing it on a non overcast day might make a difference.
A couple thoughts:

1) I'd advise not getting black interior in a convertible.

2) If you are trying to stay away from "flashy," then CR isn't for you, esp. with a white exterior. People will see you coming from miles away. No way around the fact it does attract attention, especially when your top is down. I don't like to be "flashy" myself, but the color combo struck me and I also don't want the same car everyone else has either, esp. for what 4s cost. Not a whole lot of CR cars around.

3) Estoril is a great color. I'd get it myself, but, for one, it's too close to the LeMans Blue I now own, and also popular. I think the original Estoril formula (back in the 90s) was "flashy," but EBII is a bit more subtle. It's a head turner, but not a statement maker IMHO.

Gone but not forgotten:
'96 Z3 '00 Z3 2.8 LCI '03 Z4 3.0
'07 and '11 335i 'verts
Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
My car was in the showroom and I liked the red coral. I remember sitting in the car for the first time trying to figure out why the red wasn't bothering me.

I still like it a lot. When I see it in pictures, or the on-line configure I dislike it a lot. Seems off in color, but in person I have never had an issue with it. Everyone I know loves it except for one person. She said it was too loud for her..... but I would have guessed her reaction. She also doesn't stay up past 9 PM and doesn't like fuzzy drinks...etc. You get my point. Lets say she is a reserved type of person.

One thing I will say, as mentioned above, it really does show on the outside of the car. I am always surprised when I see another red coral go by me and I can easily see the seat color. I forget how noticeable it is, not even talking about a convertible here.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Think about Estoril with Ivory interior, one of the posters here has it on a 4GC looks very good.
I just ran that through the configurator and, I have to admit, it looks pretty good. If i do Estoril, that will be the likely combination.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
A couple thoughts:

1) I'd advise not getting black interior in a convertible.

2) If you are trying to stay away from "flashy," then CR isn't for you, esp. with a white exterior. People will see you coming from miles away. No way around the fact it does attract attention, especially when your top is down. I don't like to be "flashy" myself, but the color combo struck me and I also don't want the same car everyone else has either, esp. for what 4s cost. Not a whole lot of CR cars around.

3) Estoril is a great color. I'd get it myself, but, for one, it's too close to the LeMans Blue I now own, and also popular. I think the original Estoril formula (back in the 90s) was "flashy," but EBII is a bit more subtle. It's a head turner, but not a statement maker IMHO.
Might be some heat issues with a black interior, I agree. The reason I was thinking red was because it wouldn't be cookie cutter, but I need to see it. My dealer emailed me today and said they have an M235 with a red interior, so I'll be driving over there tomorrow to see it. I'll take another look at the EB2 also.

Again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I really appreciate the help!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 428GC M-Sport
Quote:
Might be some heat issues with a black interior, I agree. The reason I was thinking red was because it wouldn't be cookie cutter, but I need to see it. My dealer emailed me today and said they have an M235 with a red interior, so I'll be driving over there tomorrow to see it. I'll take another look at the EB2 also.

Again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I really appreciate the help!
Good luck! Let us know which you choose.

Also do a search on here for the EBII/Ivory combination, the poster who has it posted some great pics.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i '11 Mustang GT
Quote:
I just ran that through the configurator and, I have to admit, it looks pretty good. If i do Estoril, that will be the likely combination.
I am also considering EBII with Ivory, but someone mentioned an issue with staining on the seats from wearing jeans...it has me back to leaning towards Mineral Grey with Coral Red. I have over a year to decide so.......