Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 11' 550i
2013 X1 Brake issue (X Drive 35i)

I was driving on the highway last week in some heavy rain. The vehicle in front of me stopped short and so I applied on the brakes but have you ever ridden a bike and only used your front brake? The rear lifts as the front deeps. Well when I hit my brakes on my X1 it dipped and pulled heavily toward the right, almost hitting the vehicle in the right lane.

At first I thought possible hydroplaning but after a few pumps on the brake they were braking solid. I continued to experiment at different speeds. After a few minutes of driving in the rain it repeated this deep and pulling hard to the right. After a few pumps on the brake they worked perfectly.

What I think is happening is the right and possibly the back brakes are accumulating water and the system that is supposed to wipe the discs are not operating properly.

I took it to the dealer and with no surprise they could not duplicate the issue. Well yea, unless you can take it on a test track with rain or water duplicating the environment your not going to duplicate the problem.

I have also found some complaints on the internet, drivers writing about similar problems in Europe since 2009.

Your thoughts and experiences, if any.

Last edited by drklion; 01-25-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
To pull hard to right means your front wheel must be pointing to the right?
Brake wipe thing is more of a gimmick and maybe shaves off some millisecond. If that system is not working it shouldn't pull to the right.

How fast were you going when you braked hard?
How fast do you have to go to duplicate it?
You can try it after a car wash...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
To pull hard to right means your front wheel must be pointing to the right?
Brake wipe thing is more of a gimmick and maybe shaves off some millisecond. If that system is not working it shouldn't pull to the right.

How fast were you going when you braked hard?
How fast do you have to go to duplicate it?
You can try it after a car wash...
1. Wheels straight, was on highway with no curve at the time. It was a brake failure grip.
2. I tested it in the range of 50 to 70.
3. Will try it but feel it might be a build up of water as the vehicle moves
Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 PM

Try with caution!!!!

By any chance if anyone has an X1 2013 Xdrive 35i and finds themselves driving in heavy rain and without applying the brakes for a period of time (most likely highway) then try applying the brakes and see if the brakes grip. Please let me know if you experienced this issue. By all means be aware it might pull and look for traffic on your sides.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: RX-8
Pulling right with wheels straight means the right brakes gripped and left ones didn't.

If it always pulls right I'd just get the dealer to change the right brake assembly for both wheels.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: RX-8
^sorry change the left brake assembly.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
Brakes pulling the car in one direction usually indicates seized or stuck calipers. However this only occurred intermittently and in heavy rain creates more of a mystery. I'd have the dealer re-check the calipers to ensure they are functioning correctly.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 AM

Agree about the right brakes gripping but the vehicle had a strange reaction while braking. The front left dipped and the front right lifted giving the vehicle a heavy pull to the right. It seems as though the rear brakes did engage or not fully.

The car is heading back soon.

Just in case anyone else has this vehicle the issue for me happens when driving in heavy rain for a period of time without applying brakes and the automatic windshield wipers are engaged.

Be cautious.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 x-drive
Same thing happened X1 2.0d x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drklion View Post
By any chance if anyone has an X1 2013 Xdrive 35i and finds themselves driving in heavy rain and without applying the brakes for a period of time (most likely highway) then try applying the brakes and see if the brakes grip. Please let me know if you experienced this issue. By all means be aware it might pull and look for traffic on your sides.
Travelling in heavy rain, wipers running at full speed, on a highway last weekend, I got truck in my way suddenly, so I hit brake pedal to slow down my car. And to my surprise my car drifted towards the right side heavily. OK, my first reaction was thought, that there was more water under one front wheel than the other so I have instinctively released the brake pedal and pushed it again - the car started behaving well, slowing down, keeping the direction.
Later, when the highway got empty, I tried this again and to my surprise same thing happened. Doing foew more tries I found, that it appeared like the right brake disc is always dry, while the left is getting wet and the car tends to drift to the right side. Keeping brakes dry - occasionally pushing the brake pedal solved the issue and I got safely home.
However as I wouldn't expect such a behaviour from this car, I went to the garage on Monday seeking for help. To my surprise, technicians at BMW garage instantly got the line and responded it is known issue of all BMWs based on series 3 base - all BMWs series 3 and X1, saying this is a software issue of the board computer. The car comes with a system which makes brakes dry during wet conditions, gently pushing brakes towards brake-discs during normal ride, so brakes are dry and ready to provide max. performace. However the issue with this system is, that for some reason it works well on one half of the car only, usually the right one, what causes the car drift towards the right side in wet conditions. I understood, the factory knows about this and they are working on a fix. For nearly a year. As soon as the fix will be issued, they'll let me know.

For various reasons, I simply do not believe the factory is working for a year on a fix of an issue, which may create lots of corpses coffined in scraped metal painted in BMW colour. Any opinion is warmly welcome
Old 11-15-2013, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335xi Sp Edition
I have the same problem with my 2011 335xi. I had it in last year and it was not duplicated so must not be a problem - right !!! At first I thought it was my new winter tires but they work very well in light rain and the summer run flats pull to the right also.

BMW say they make a safe car but I fell safer in heavy rain driving my old Ford Explorer. This has been a problem for many years - maybe it should go to the safety boards in Canada and USA. This happened to my Explorer with lots of tire recalls. How do we get a recall on this safety problem??
Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 AM

It seems this issue happens just in heavy rain. It happened to me few times again, since the original post here was published. The vehicle finally enged at BMW dealership again, who said the car has to get re-flashed the computer.
So I left the car there on this Tuesday, being said the procedure will take several hours and the car will be ready by evening or the following morning. On the next morning, the service technician called saying the car refused the computer re-flash. Consulting this with the factory in Germany, the factory people told them the computer update is not available at the moment and will be ready in 10-14 days.
I bought a German made car, neither Korean (sorry Koreans) nor Italian (sorry Italians)! The car is potenitally dangerous and noone seem to get interested as it is already fully paid!
I hope I get some sort of more optimistic news in the next 2 weeks as otherwise I'm considering returning the car to the dealer, even I like it.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1-35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by paster View Post
It seems this issue happens just in heavy rain. It happened to me few times again, since the original post here was published. The vehicle finally enged at BMW dealership again, who said the car has to get re-flashed the computer.
So I left the car there on this Tuesday, being said the procedure will take several hours and the car will be ready by evening or the following morning. On the next morning, the service technician called saying the car refused the computer re-flash. Consulting this with the factory in Germany, the factory people told them the computer update is not available at the moment and will be ready in 10-14 days.
I bought a German made car, neither Korean (sorry Koreans) nor Italian (sorry Italians)! The car is potenitally dangerous and noone seem to get interested as it is already fully paid!
I hope I get some sort of more optimistic news in the next 2 weeks as otherwise I'm considering returning the car to the dealer, even I like it.
Please keep us posted on your progress with this!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Uhh! This is not good, we live in the land of heavy rain... Florida
and my young teenage daughter is the primary driver... Since the "rainy season" is just over now, perhaps BMW will get a fix before April 2014
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Folks having this brake problem may want to consider filing a complaint with NHTSA.

Over the summer I was doing some research on their site and noticed no more than 5 or 6 complaints regarding brake failures on the 328i. About a month or two later the brake recall was announced for the 4 cylinder cars.

The brake problem regarding the 6 cylinder BMWs with Xdrive has been around for at least 4 or 5 years based on a quick google search. I bet if enough people file complaints, BMW may find a more compelling reason to address the problem.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:29 PM

Just an Update

I believe this was the 3rd or fourth time the X1 went in for the brake issues. I had BMW send down a rep and I gave him a video of the problem. I also mentioned that steering column has had a clanking noise.

Anyway I get the X1 back and the report had stated that BMW could not duplicate the problem, really? BMW had it for two days and it was sunny.

It just seams BMW is ignoring me. I am going to write a letter to BMW NA and if they do not address the issue I will file a Lemon Law complaint.

If you would like to see the issue I have a video of it. It is short but you can see the jolting it does when I apply the brakes in heavy rain.

Last edited by drklion; 01-02-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35i Xdrive
This is addressed (probably as a CYA) in the owner's manual, pg 132:

Driving in wet conditions
When roads are wet or there is heavy rain, briefly exert gentle pressure on the brake pedal every few miles.
Ensure that this action does not endanger other road users.
The heat generated in this process helps dry the brake discs and pads.
In this way braking efficiency will be available when you need it.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:38 PM

This is not addressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionized View Post
This is addressed (probably as a CYA) in the owner's manual, pg 132:

Driving in wet conditions
When roads are wet or there is heavy rain, briefly exert gentle pressure on the brake pedal every few miles.
Ensure that this action does not endanger other road users.
The heat generated in this process helps dry the brake discs and pads.
In this way braking efficiency will be available when you need it.

This issue is not address. That action is when the vehicle has gone through deep water or the brakes have been submerged. Anyone with some knowledge of driving knows this procedure. I have been driving for over 33 years, which means I was driving before ABS systems. I know very well how to apply brakes to avoid skidding or making the best use of the brakes while the brakes are exposed to heavy rain or being submerged. This is a BMW issue with their braking system.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35i Xdrive
drklion - not sure why you took my post as some sort of assault on your driving skills. I simply pointed out what the manual said, which doesn't mention "submerged" brakes, but brake behavior when roads are wet or in heavy rain. It seemed to comport with pas tee's experience when he/she said, "I got truck in my way suddenly, so I hit brake pedal to slow down my car. And to my surprise my car drifted towards the right side heavily. OK, my first reaction was thought, that there was more water under one front wheel than the other so I have instinctively released the brake pedal and pushed it again - the car started behaving well, slowing down, keeping the direction. "

At any rate, best of luck in getting your car sorted.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:44 PM

Re: 2013 X1 Brake issue (X Drive 35i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drklion View Post
It just seams BMW is ignoring me. I am going to write a letter to BMW NA and if they do not address the issue I will file a Lemon Law complaint.
Whenever you write to BMWNA always address the letter to the managing director and send it certified with a signature return receipt. This will help you in your case if it goes further.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using BimmerApp mobile app
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 AM

My X1 got re-flashed firmware 6 weeks ago what was said it will sort out the issue by BMW people. I was waiting with this post for a while hoping to gain as much experience as I can, unfortunately the wet autumn apready passed and the winter here seem to be rather dry this year. As per my earlier post there was an issue with automatic brake drying system, engaging on one side of the car only, what caused the car drifting heavily towards one side (right-hand side). Talking to service engineer at BMW I learned, the auto-dry system is being engaged by the board computer, based on the information coming from the rain sensor and/or wipers (wiper speed). The proposed solution was re-flashing (upgrading) the car software. I was explained, that the software is being uploaded directly from the factory and the procedure takes several hours to complete. OK.
The first try done in early November 2013 waqs not successful. Service people explained to me, that the software upgrade froze at certain stage, unable to proceed any further. After having a chat with the factory, they said there is a problem with the software (?), which cannot be upgraded at that moment and re-booked my car repair for two weeks later. Asking is I can drive the car they said "Carefully". Nice. Talking to my lawyer I learned, it is VERY important I'm having the work-sheet from the BMW garage describing the fault so will anything happen, my position will be much better.
The second try happening two weeks later, approx. mid-November was successful. They say. Since then, I drove X1 only once in heavy rain and the car was behaving well.
Not to blame service engineers here. From several sources I have heard the same - BMW garages are not being given details on what issues are being sorted with particular upgrades and quite often are just guessing. Only widely medialised issues like 2.8liter engine brake issue (which is different one from what is described here in this post), got more openly communicated. Secretive they are ...
Conclusion.
- If you have a piece of paper describing the issue, stamped with BMW garage. Good for you.
- If you have a piece of paper saying there is nothing wrong with your X1. Even better, but still does not solve the issue.
I cannot say the mid-November firmware did the trick as there isn't too much of rain here, now. However IMHO upgrading the car software shall not make things worse, than they are.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionized View Post
drklion - not sure why you took my post as some sort of assault on your driving skills.
Ionized - I did not take your post as an assault on my driving skills. Your post basically said that this issue with the braking system is addressed in the manual. It is not It may seam that way but this issue is very serious. If someone tried to follow the manual during highway speeds they would find themselves in another lane or a ditch. Before they would know it an accident may occur.

I posted this almost a year ago and no one knew about this issue but today it is starting to creep up. I posted it almost as a warning so X1 drivers may be aware so no accidents may occur.

I do appreciate your information and the manual is correct for wet issues but again this issue acts as a brake failure which jolts the vehicle to one side.

Also the issue does go away after the initial brake pressure which may show that water is building around the brake area and it is wiped away once brakes are applied.

My concern is that BMW has records of us with this issue and they are hardly addressing it. I hope that we do not become a statistic before they issue a warning and address the issue.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:29 AM

Re: 2013 X1 Brake issue (X Drive 35i)

I say we try and rally all X1 35I owners to complain of this issue, whether they've experienced it or not (yet) to get BMW to notice this issue.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using BimmerApp mobile app
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to skilletbgm
Mein Auto: 2014 535D (US Spec)
Interesting! No problems encountered so far, nor did we notice any braking issues during our ED last September. That was probably the heaviest and longest trip in inclement weather.

BMWCCA - 341029

ED P/U - 09/13/2013
ED D/O - X1 (09/15), 535d (09/21)
REDELIVERY - X1 (10/31), 535d (11/4)