Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: x3
Time to upgrade??

So, I have a 2005 X3 (manual transmission) that I LOVE and fully own. Unfortunately, it has 162k miles and problems are starting to creep up here and there - in the past 12 months, I had 2 pretty big repair bills (though each under 2k) and my sun roof has stopped working (one of my favorite parts of the car). My clutch is still the original, so i know that has to eventually go.....BUT, today my car is running great...so hard to justify a cost of a new x3. The problem is we are expecting our first baby this summer, and we (er, my husband) is concerned about driving an older car and breaking down with a baby (my family lives 5-6 hours away, so we go back and forth at least every once every 2 months).

We have a very slightly used 2012 X3 on hold at a dealer, and after a lot of research, it seems to be a good deal...yet, I can't bring myself to give up my 2005 x3 that seems to be running great....today anyway. Any advice or persuasion either way? Do you think I'm really due for some more big repairs on my 2005 X3?
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by slven View Post
So, I have a 2005 X3 (manual transmission) that I LOVE and fully own. Unfortunately, it has 162k miles and problems are starting to creep up here and there - in the past 12 months, I had 2 pretty big repair bills (though each under 2k) and my sun roof has stopped working (one of my favorite parts of the car). My clutch is still the original, so i know that has to eventually go.....BUT, today my car is running great...so hard to justify a cost of a new x3. The problem is we are expecting our first baby this summer, and we (er, my husband) is concerned about driving an older car and breaking down with a baby (my family lives 5-6 hours away, so we go back and forth at least every once every 2 months).

We have a very slightly used 2012 X3 on hold at a dealer, and after a lot of research, it seems to be a good deal...yet, I can't bring myself to give up my 2005 x3 that seems to be running great....today anyway. Any advice or persuasion either way? Do you think I'm really due for some more big repairs on my 2005 X3?
No real way to answer. On any given day, your current X3 could be more (or less) reliable than a 2012. There is just no way to predict. However, with a new baby on the way, I would lean towards the newer one and go with the odds that it would be more reliable, on average.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
@slven I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a 2006 X3 3.0i with 100K miles less than yours (62K miles) and I'm on the fence about giving it up too. Problems have started creeping up including tires that need to be changed, and other problems. Every week when I get gas and reset the gas mileage function I'm getting 15 miles/gallon which really sucks. I special ordered this car so I kind of feel like it's my baby, so it'll be hard to think that someone else will be driving it. I know I know, it's just a car. I LOVE it but I'm thinking the new one will have more features of convenience, including rear seat warmers, rear camera, automatic trunk closer, better gas mileage, more powerful, etc. What to do, what to do?!!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
there was a thread about new X3 having problem fitting a baby seat, not sure about the detail, but you may want to check it out.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
No real way to answer. On any given day, your current X3 could be more (or less) reliable than a 2012. There is just no way to predict. However, with a new baby on the way, I would lean towards the newer one and go with the odds that it would be more reliable, on average.

+1

If you like the current X3, could it serve as the second vehicle?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: E70Diesel, E46
If you will be paying $600/mo on a new one. That's $7200 a year. Do you think you will spend that much on your old x3 every year if it ever breaks? But if your concern is comfort or safety of family when traveling then it's a no brainer.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
You will be under warranty -- so no repairs or maintentance costs for a few years. With the new baby I would not trust the older car, the new cars have better safety equipment and if something breaks the dealer will fix it and give you a loaner until its ready. You are approaching the end of the normal service life of your old X3, time to move up and on. You also might want to look at the new Volvo XC60 -- built in booster seats -- more room for an infant carrier, and a very safe car as well. Good luck and congratulations!

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-25-2013 at 07:54 AM.