Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 2006 523i
coolant leak E60 523i

hi guys coolant light coming on for the third time in 6-8 weeks. topped it up and was fine for awhile but now noticed pooling on the ground under where the car was parked up after i move off .i looked at the engine bay and there is fluid on the plastic sump gaurd tray on the right hand side near the front of the engine (from the drivers perspective) and a trace amount on the left hand side near the front( again from the drivers perspective).i noticed that there are no wet spots on any pipes relating to the coolant system from the top of the engine to the bottom until i see the pooling on the sump gaurd .i cant really get any better view of the situation from the underneath but looking through the kidney grille from the front i see a small amount of wet area on the lowest point left of the radiator . just wondering if if ye could give me possible sources and or causes so as the Steelers dont fob me off with a bs $$$$$$$$$ answer. as it always nice to have some information at hand re the problem when dealing with them.

Thanks in Advance

Retired BMW E39 520i
Current BMW E60 523i
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
You don't say how many miles are on your car but it really doesn't matter. Your car is 10 years old. Get thee to a shop. Even if you've had regular coolant changes, your radiator and water pump are overdue for replacement.........
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw520 View Post
hi guys coolant light coming on for the third time in 6-8 weeks. topped it up and was fine for awhile but now noticed pooling on the ground under where the car was parked up after i move off .i looked at the engine bay and there is fluid on the plastic sump gaurd tray on the right hand side near the front of the engine (from the drivers perspective) and a trace amount on the left hand side near the front( again from the drivers perspective).i noticed that there are no wet spots on any pipes relating to the coolant system from the top of the engine to the bottom until i see the pooling on the sump gaurd .i cant really get any better view of the situation from the underneath but looking through the kidney grille from the front i see a small amount of wet area on the lowest point left of the radiator . just wondering if if ye could give me possible sources and or causes so as the Steelers dont fob me off with a bs $$$$$$$$$ answer. as it always nice to have some information at hand re the problem when dealing with them.

Thanks in Advance

Retired BMW E39 520i
Current BMW E60 523i
Not familiar with 523, especially right-hand-driver version, I assume this is inline-6 engine block so maybe similar to M52 block.
The E39 520 is 4-cylinders right?
I'll check the ususal suspects, exp-tank, radiator, coolant hoses, Water-pump etc. I'll just take it to dealer or BMW-mechanic and see what they come up with;if the car driveable just say no if the cost is too much or get a 2nd opinion.
Good luck.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 PM
2006 535xi

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi
my '06 530xi w/ 70k is in the shop as we speak for a coolent leak. SA advised that it is leaking from the bottom of the radiator - I think he said a seam where the hose connects. When i find out the damage tomorrow will post what I paid for this.

BTW - i also have it in for the replacement of the sunroof seal and re-seal of the sunroof cassette. noticed a bit of moisture on the c-pillar trim panels.

-OX
Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 PM
2006 535xi

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi
BMW520,

OK... just got my car back. I also had a small coolent leak. This was the cost at an indy shop:

new radiator: $440
labor, pressure test: $330

Apparently the radiator had several areas that were leaking. they claimed that this is not too common in this vehicle. my luck!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 AM

Ooops never updated my garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS550 View Post
You don't say how many miles are on your car but it really doesn't matter. Your car is 10 years old. Get thee to a shop. Even if you've had regular coolant changes, your radiator and water pump are overdue for replacement.........
sorry forgot to mention that the E60 is a 2006 model E60 2.5l with 82k miles on it and only 18k on the november 2009 engine.

thanks for the replies guys happy happy motoring
Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Major coolant leak issues

Hey Guys,
This is my first time posting. I have a 2004 545i with 100k miles. The low coolant light came on and I took it to the BMW dealer to have it looked at. Here's what they said:

singular air y pipes ($105)
coolant center pipe unit ($1600)
valley pan ($125)
intake gasket water pump ($400)

With the labor, it will be $4200 to fix it. Does this sound right? How much cheaper could it be done at a private mechanic shop? To be honest, I dont know a lot about fixing cars so I'm at the mercy of mechanics and what they say/charge. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(6).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	359186  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbillz View Post
Hey Guys,
This is my first time posting. I have a 2004 545i with 100k miles. The low coolant light came on and I took it to the BMW dealer to have it looked at. Here's what they said:

singular air y pipes ($105)
coolant center pipe unit ($1600)
valley pan ($125)
intake gasket water pump ($400)

With the labor, it will be $4200 to fix it. Does this sound right? How much cheaper could it be done at a private mechanic shop? To be honest, I dont know a lot about fixing cars so I'm at the mercy of mechanics and what they say/charge. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
If it's the coolant pipe that goes through the middle of the motor that is leaking, that's probably not too far off from what you'll have to pay..

It's an absolute beast to get to.

There are aftermarket solutions that are more like $600 and less labor to install, but I'm sure no dealer would go that route

Check out this PDF someone made on it. This is for installing the aftermarket EASIER one. The BMW factory one I have read you have to pull the engine but I'm not 100% sure on that

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...3&d=1299748784

Last edited by schpenxel; 01-25-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 PM
DIY'er

Also see this video

Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Thanks, Schpenxel.

I still dont think I have the garage space, tools or probably even skill to do this repair myself. Do you think i should call local bmw shops that i have heard good things about, describe the repairs bmw dealer recommended and see if they can do the repair the quicker way detailed in this video? It seems like this video shows a much quicker way to repair my problem. Or is this a fix only done by DIY's?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
DIY'er

Indys will use this method, or at least some will. Highly doubt any dealerships will though.

My guess is it's one of those things that after you've done it once it would be easy to do a second time.. but the learning curve for the first time is probably pretty steep, so only dive in if you're ready for that
Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 PM

Thanks.

Last question is how long can you go with just filling up the coolant before doing any repairs? I know I'm throwing away money on coolant, but is there any long term damage done to the car from having a leak that goes unrepaired for a while? As long the engine never overheats...
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanexpress View Post
BMW520,

OK... just got my car back. I also had a small coolent leak. This was the cost at an indy shop:

new radiator: $440
labor, pressure test: $330

Apparently the radiator had several areas that were leaking. they claimed that this is not too common in this vehicle. my luck!

Thanks for all your info oceanexpress. Turned out to be my radiator also.over 400 Euro just for part. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbillz View Post
Thanks.

Last question is how long can you go with just filling up the coolant before doing any repairs? I know I'm throwing away money on coolant, but is there any long term damage done to the car from having a leak that goes unrepaired for a while? As long the engine never overheats...
No way to tell for sure.. in theory as long as you can keep enough coolant in it it should be fine.. but the cost of overheating one of these can be really high. They don't handle it very well