Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Replacement Body Parts/Horrible Shop Exp

Can anyone share their experience in obtaining replacement body panels? We had a small fender bender with our 2013 328i sedan two weeks ago when someone decided to make a u-turn in the middle of the street... Fortunately the damage was minor and limited to a bumper cover, side fender, and hood. We were able to still drive the car for a few days before we had time to get it to the shop (a South Florida BMW dealer).

Dropped off the car this past Monday the 21st. New parts ordered and arrived today, Friday the 25th. Repairs began today and will be finished NEXT Friday, February 2nd.

Two questions. One, why does it take 5 days to receive new body panels? The shop said they need to ship from Germany. No parts stored in the US? The shop also said it's a "new model...parts are not readily available." New model? Thought that was 2012...

Two, 6 days for repairs? No frame or bracket damage - just a simple swap and paint is what they say. They did become a bit defensive when I questioned their timeframe. Is the industry standard only 4 hours/day for shop labor time spent on repairs?

Any thoughts, or is this about typical for most BMW repairs? More importantly, since this was our first collision in 10+ years, we don't know any good body shops in South Florida. Any recommendations? We hope to never need another body shop, but this accident was evidence enough that you can't defend against stupidity...
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
You did we'll to use a dealer since hopefully they'll use a BMW certified body shop. Considering they may have to prime and paint new parts that timeframe may not be completely out of whack.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM

No, the time in labor isn't extreme (still one or two days longer than I would think). It should be noted that even though they determined the repairs started today, they already have one full day in as the damaged parts are removed from the vehicle. The labor time isn't what gets me...the fact that they need to order parts from Europe is the thing I can't understand. How many BMWs are in the USA? No parts are stocked here? I am calling BS on the "new model, hard to get parts" thing since the car is essentially the same as a 2012. After 1.5 years on the NA market, surely there have been many collisions/damages and enough time to arrange logistics to stock the parts domestically...

Also, to clarify, I did not take the car back to the dealer. I took it to their collision center (same dealer, different location). This BMW Certified collision center repairs all brands sold by the dealer family. Good dealer, but not impressed with the body shop. Unknown to me, they don't offer loaner cars either. Only for service, not for body repairs. Interesting to me, since every other body shop I know offers loaners...
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi, 2012 raptor
We had a similar issue on our 13 335I back in September, needed new brakes and there were no parts available here yet...
Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluTricolor View Post
No, the time in labor isn't extreme (still one or two days longer than I would think). It should be noted that even though they determined the repairs started today, they already have one full day in as the damaged parts are removed from the vehicle. The labor time isn't what gets me...the fact that they need to order parts from Europe is the thing I can't understand. How many BMWs are in the USA? No parts are stocked here? I am calling BS on the "new model, hard to get parts" thing since the car is essentially the same as a 2012. After 1.5 years on the NA market, surely there have been many collisions/damages and enough time to arrange logistics to stock the parts domestically...

Also, to clarify, I did not take the car back to the dealer. I took it to their collision center (same dealer, different location). This BMW Certified collision center repairs all brands sold by the dealer family. Good dealer, but not impressed with the body shop. Unknown to me, they don't offer loaner cars either. Only for service, not for body repairs. Interesting to me, since every other body shop I know offers loaners...
Ok... if you did not like what was presented to you in that place, why then you dropped the car off there? Why did you not turn around, went to the dealer and asked the parts department about the availability of parts required? Then you should have made the decision.

Sorry, but I really do not see what is the issue here.

And by the way, the F30 has been on USA grounds for exactly 11 months. One full year will be next month.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
not having those parts is possible.

granted i have an m-sport which hasn't been around as long. but i bent all my rims, and the rear rims took 2.5 weeks to arrive since they had to be sourced from germany so i can believe the we dont stock all the parts story if you have some configuration which isnt super common (like sya you have a luxury line or something)
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Okay, sounds like others have parts availability issues as well. Odd that BMW doesn't have better logistics. I am quite sure BMW operates like any other auto manufacturer...earn little on the car at sale, make the profit on service and repairs. To me, not stocking common parts here cuts into that model.

If a BMW certified shop can't get the parts sooner, then I doubt another shop could do better. When I initially consulted with the shop, they projected a timeframe for work of one week (order parts while I still drive it, then bring it in for repairs). Of course after I left it with them, they spent one week dealing with insurance before any work was really done. They knew the bumper cover had to be replaced, but only ordered it after insurance said "okay". Lame to me. But this all goes back to not having parts sourced domestically. I understand not ordering parts until insurance gives the go-ahead, but that leaves the owner without his car for another week while the parts are shipped.

Guess I'm just having bad luck with service and inconvenience. When the service center disabled the auto stop/start last year, the car was in the shop for two days while they waited for a code/approval from BMW. Maybe calling BMW, getting the code, then having me stop by with the car for 10 minutes would have been more efficient...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
In August 2011 with my car only having 9000 miles on it I got hit to tune of $26k in damage. I had it towed to the dealer which has a certified BMW repair shop on site and it took 10 weeks to repair. I was worried since I purchased my car that it would never be the same. Well I now have 37k on her and and she runs as if nothing ever happened. No rattles, still the original tires with no abnormal wear. I believe that had I not gone to a certified shop which did not use all new OEM parts and did not rebuild the front end on BMW frame alignment rack my car would have not survived the almost 30k additional miles since my accident without rattles or other major problems. The shop also emailed me pictures every few days of the build and encouraged me to come see it as often as I wanted. I guess what I am saying here is that taking a long time is not bad if they do it right he first time.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,