Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Question Issue with car at the time of delivery in Munich?

Hi friends,

I have read that while taking delivery of their bummers at the dealership, when people see some problem with their cars, they have the option of asking the dealer to get the car fixed and then take delivery. On other occasions, if a buyer ordered Summer Performance tires and gets a low-end Goodyear Efficient Grip instead of Continental or Bridgestone, they can have the dealer change the tires at the shop and then take delivery.

How many people have seen problems with their cars when they take delivery in Munich? What have they done about it, and what has BMW done to solve their problems to satisfy the customer? Have you ever got a low-end summer tire, asked for a replacement and not got it?
Just want to know a lesser discussed scenario. If someone has link to another thread that discusses similar issues, please feel free to post here... Also, please post your experiences and those that you've heard of, etc..

Thanks!

(Posted in ED forum... around 100 viewed the question, none contributed.. so hoping my friends from this forum would chip in. No offense to anyone. just need more info before I talk to my CA soon.)

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Vector Pilot

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Posted on another forum I read about a similar situation as you described, a dispute regarding tires, and the BMW representative at the Welt recommended the customer take it up with their dealer.
When I picked up my car in Munich I recalled having an minor mechanical issue, realizing it, the BMW rep drove it to the lower level of the Welt where a tech resolved problem.
My advice talk to your dealer before leaving and make sure what you're describing can be resolved before taking your second delivery back in the states.
Highest Regards

Last edited by Vector Pilot; 01-25-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 335i M Sport
If you are doing ED @ Munich, I think you would be stuck with whatever tires come with your car. The folks at the factory would be unlikely or unable to swap tires. The good news is the Goodyear tires seem to be fitted on a very small % of the 335i M Sport, so your chances to getting them are correspondingly remote.

Are you sticking with Xdrive or going for RWD ? If the latter, you will really appreciate the DHP ! There is a big difference between how the car responds in Comfort vs Sport. I also really like the Variable Sport Steering; it has good on centre feel and it is very quick in tight turning situations.
2013 F30-335i M Sport, Glacier silver, 8 spd, black dakota w/walnut trim, premium pkg, 18" Style 400M wheels, adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport brakes, front & Rear PDC, Sat radio, BMW Assist pkg.

Last edited by DerekS; 01-25-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
[QUOTE=Crzy'boutBimmer;7338852

(Posted in ED forum... around 100 viewed the question, none contributed.. so hoping my friends from this forum would chip in. No offense to anyone. just need more info before I talk to my CA soon.)[/QUOTE]
IMO you're not getting replys because changing tires doing ED just doesn't happen. I did ED and took delivery on MY 2005 535i with Dunlop RFT. They were the ones that had all kinds of problems and they wouldn't change them but the dealer changed them at 19,000+ miles do to noise problems. I never heard of a dealer changing tires because of brand.There could always be a first time. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
but the dealer changed them at 19,000+ miles do to noise problems. Good luck
cheers
vern
So, Vern, did you take the tire insurance to be able to have the dealer change the tires for you? Otherwise, how is the dealer liable for the noise that your tires are creating, esp. after the sale?

Thanks!

Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzy'boutBimmer View Post
So, Vern, did you take the tire insurance to be able to have the dealer change the tires for you? Otherwise, how is the dealer liable for the noise that your tires are creating, esp. after the sale?

Thanks!
The tire cost was picked up by Dunlop. If you had a problem before 20,000 miles they would change them no cost to you. The point being they knew, BMW and Donlop, that the tires were problematic and they still put them on the cars that you took delivery.. Good luck PS I have Goodyears on my 2012 335i. The differences they find between them and the other brands I don't realize the way I drive I was reading the answers you were getting on your other post and for the most part there is a lot of facts in the answers but those facts are related to professional or track drivers not every day street drivers IMO.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 01-26-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
The differences they find between them and the other brands I don't realize the way I drive I was reading the answers you were getting on your other post and for the most part there is a lot of facts in the answers but those facts are related to professional or track drivers not every day street drivers IMO.
cheers
vern
Hmmm.... good point!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: abcdef
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Are you sticking with Xdrive or going for RWD ? If the latter, you will really appreciate the DHP ! There is a big difference between how the car responds in Comfort vs Sport.
This suggests the impact of DHP is less on an Xdrive car. Is that what you're saying? If so, why is this true?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
No issue at Euro delivery so can't speak about the tire portion of the question. What I can say is that they treat you really well and it's the best new car experience by far.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
This suggests the impact of DHP is less on an Xdrive car. Is that what you're saying? If so, why is this true?
I think he's confused a little - the dhp behaves the same way with both the X drive and rwd. The additional difference in handling comes due to sport suspension that is not available with xdrive and is available with rwd.. you get stock suspension with xdrive no matter the line

Last edited by Crzy'boutBimmer; 01-27-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
I think he meant to say the "former".

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
No issue at Euro delivery so can't speak about the tire portion of the question. What I can say is that they treat you really well and it's the best new car experience by far.
x1000
Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 335i M Sport
Quote:
IMO you're not getting replys because changing tires doing ED just doesn't happen. I did ED and took delivery on MY 2005 535i with Dunlop RFT. They were the ones that had all kinds of problems and they wouldn't change them but the dealer changed them at 19,000+ miles do to noise problems. I never heard of a dealer changing tires because of brand.There could always be a first time. Good luck
cheers
vern
Before I took delivery of a previous E90-335d, my dealer agreed to swap the tires to Michelin PS2s. So, yes, tire swaps can be negotiated with a dealer BEFORE delivery.

As for the Goodyear Efficient Grip tires, various magazine road tests have commented on the the long stopping distances that these tires contribute to and the fact that in at least two road tests, the tires actually began to disintegrate, with large chunks of rubber left behind.

These tires may be fine for casual touring, but they are NOT summer performance tires. I made it very clear to my dealer BEFORE taking deliver, that I would not accept the car IF it was equipped with these tires. Fortunately, my 335i M Sport came with Bridgestone Potenza S001.

I agree with you that there is no way that the factory would do a tire swap for ED.
2013 F30-335i M Sport, Glacier silver, 8 spd, black dakota w/walnut trim, premium pkg, 18" Style 400M wheels, adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport brakes, front & Rear PDC, Sat radio, BMW Assist pkg.