Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Boosted

Mein Auto: 03 ///M5
LalaRay just got a M5... Yup a 03 M5

Oooook bimmer people for all yall newbies who dont know me.. Im "Lalaray" and i had a really suped up 02 540a.... Yea Really really suped up lol... but yea so after playing around with my boy who gotta M5 i realized that my car even supercharged wasn't very fast... I Couldnt even keep up with the M5 until about 110 mph It was heart breaking... So after trying to research what i could do to make my auto shift quicker and just overall be faster. I came to the conclusion that Auto's just suck... Plus riding around with that M5 kiddo i was just moved lol it just looked like so much fun ya know... soooooooooo i got rid the 540 and went on the hunt for a M5 about a week ago and i actually found one that met my needs (BLACK, 2003 and under 115,000 Miles) in a couple days.. So i went and checked the car out in person like a week ago today.. Came back home started that thread about PPI's and blah blah :lol3. Yeaaa so after all that i went back up and just got it yesterday. So far i really like the car... i need to put my lil touch into to make it more homey... but you guys should already know im not keeping it stock

Sooo without further to do i Give you my 2003 Jet Black M5...

No wait actually lets have moment of silence for my Beloved auto 540 that is in different hands now....

The 540...

Sorry if thats to many.. i know you guys came here for the M5 but the 540 was like..... my 540 ya know ? :stickoutt
and NOOOO people there is nothing on the 540 for sell, no im not parting out, No no no....People been msging me so thought i just post for everyone else to know lol..

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower
Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
CNS lightweight dm flywheel/Spec clutch,
ST coilovers,
Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets,
Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Last edited by LalaRay; 01-26-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Boosted

Now i warn you... these Pics are some pure SH*t ok so dont get mad at me and comment about how Sh**ty the pics are cause i already know :lol3.. and Yea the car is covered in show..Yea its dirty... but look its cold outside and i just got it yesterday and i took these just for yall sooo bare with me..

O and ill keep this as my wittle build thread since i never had one...:stickoutt

Ok so Plans....
um well first i need to rip that shark fin off the roof....
-Then im ditching the carbon fiber grill (my boy with the ///M wants em)
-Then tomorrow i should have my new orion v4 headlights coming in.. which were $580 thanks umnitza :shifty
-Im getting ST coil overs cause this thing is like 8ft high off the ground
-Gonna put my ECS tuning 15mm spacers on all way around
-swap the gray face cluster (01-03) with my black M5 one (2000 only)
-lose that ugly sliding arm rest and put in my euro one that opens up with storage.
-Gotta install my Supersprint headers..
-Get drilled slotted rotors with akebono euro pads..
-See Mattmartin for my programming (Windows up with key, auto lock, Fancy hazard flashing :rolleyes , Code my black M cluster, key in ignition bong bong noise DELETE..
-Paint that ugly plastic trim going around the car body color..
-Im getting rid of the staggered exhaust.. and getting either magnaflow 14816 mufflers or run no mufflers and get Timmay tips... not sure yet... :dunno
a lot more sh** i got planned but yeaaaa ya get the point...

Ok so im SELLING...

-the M5's Rear view mirror for sale (its leaking but can be fixed here for cheap http://www.radar-mirror.com/Mirror_Repair.html) $105 Shipped
-the Rims thats on the car... Hit me up with a offer..
-the staggered exhaust mufflers.. Hit me with a offer.
- Gray Face 2003 M5 Cluster $310 Shipped
- Autofold mirror modules (BOTH) $195 Shipped
- OEM hella headlights 01-03 $405 Shipped
- My 540's VF supercharger kit (missing crank pulley,Fan spacer) $2800 Shipped.

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Last edited by LalaRay; 01-26-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 530i Loaded
Nice!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 03 530i Loaded
And ya lose those ****ty rims fast. they style 65s looks brand new so i would rock those for a while. and if you plan on getting 19s you can get atleast 1200 for those style 65s
Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: 540
Yo congrats in teh M5 bro. !! Careful tho.. Its not a 540 anymore. Enjoy.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 07 750i, 02 540i Sport
You've got two really sweet looking rides. When I first saw the pictures of them side by side I thought your 540I was the M5 with the mean stance and cool M5 front bumper it certainly looks the part.

I remember my first ride in a brand new M5 in 1999, that car would accelerate, turn, and stop like nothing I've ever ridden in before or since.

Congrats and I hope you enjoy the heck out of it!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
Nice to see you've got the car you wanted. It already looks pretty bad ass
to me, I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 AM
Be american, get a bimmer

Mein Auto: 00' 540i, 87' benz 300DT
Looks good
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540i auto
Sweet! If you're ever up near the Carlisle, PA. area let me know. I'd like to see it in person.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
Good for you man. I love that interior! I'm going tomorrow to buy mine.
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Nice! I was the same way. My supercharged 540i did not impress me. My daily driven bone stock 740i was faster 0-80mph. I test drove an M5 about 2 weeks ago. It was ok, but still didnt not impress me that much. The handling was awsome but straight line power was...ok, but not great. I test drove a bone stock Mercedes E55 AMG...... right after and OMG is that thing was a beast! 5.4L supercharged V-8, 469hp and 516lb-ft bone stock! Im on the lookout for one of those with low miles. There out there but I just need to find one closer to me.

Hope your M5 turns out great. After you supercharge that one you need to post some dyno sheets.

Good luck and great looking cars. I do miss the SC whistle at start up.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 02 s55 AMG,02 540i
Congrates on a great find bud!!! I cant wait to see it when your done. Im sure to see green eyed haters in the future
Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528ia Sport
looks great
how much did you sell the 540 for?
M5 F+R Bumpers, M5 Mirrors with OEM setup, M5 rear sway bar, Cluster Rings, 03 Business player with AUX input, HID fogs slim, OEM 01+ Hella headlights, Euro Lens, EAC Aluminum Adjusters, FX-R low beam retrofit, Umnitza Orion halos, Hella Euro Celis Retrofit Kit, Koni yellow shocks with H&R Sport Springs, 19" M6 Reps, Full LEDs.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Boosted

Thanks everybody ! I appreciate it, and ay mike looks like were shark fin brothers ...but Really and illezt lol shushhh we need not discuss these things

But so today i swapped out them Carbon fiber grill's with the lil ///M thing

now

Swapped out the oem fog lights with my blacked out ones

them oem ones were heavier to.... must been thicker glass or whatever the lens is...

Then Cleaned up under the hood

Then Put in all my lil led bulbs and sh*t so everythings nice and bright white, Put in my Euro lift up arm rest...and Installed my spacers all around

Now all thats fine and dandy but there's just one thing that's really blowing me....and thats this !

like the car is just so damn high like wtf. Ya would think "M5"...o yea, thats gonna come with a good sport height... but noooo not at all I got like 1,200 in free money for mods right this instant and was trying to decide between getting the rotors/pads which is about 600ish and install my headers orrrr just get coilovers and paint that plastic body trim Sh*t Black... Now after looking at this car for two days... im 90% Sure ima bout to order these coilovers and drop my trim off at the paint shop monday..

o and look at how see through my windows are!!

Like idk maybe thats "normal" but coming from a car with 5% all around and 20% on the whole windshield the windows on the ///M are just funny

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Last edited by LalaRay; 01-26-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: E36 and E39
So what happened... I'm addicted to this post i want to see more upgrades... !!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I'll bite, that's the correct ride height. Lowering it so the wheels start to disappear into the arches not only looks foolish, it degrades the way the car drives on anything other than perfectly smooth pavement. It's pointless and unnecessary. Taking that money and purchasing the best possible tyres would give you better performance.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 02 s55 AMG,02 540i
...And the green eyes start appearing
Old 01-27-2013, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
LaLa, drop it so it looks better. I used H&R 50464 springs, but for an M5 that's probably the wrong p/n.
It handles much better and doesn't have that jacked up 4WD ugly look.
The fender arch is at the top of the tire now.
25% on the windows.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere

Last edited by JimLev; 01-27-2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecushion View Post
...And the green eyes start appearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
LaLa, drop it so it looks better. I used H&R 50464 springs, but for an M5 that's probably the wrong p/n.
It handles much better and doesn't have that jacked up 4WD ugly look.
The fender arch is at the top of the tire now.
25% on the windows.

Yea! i had those same springs on the 540! but there's no lowering springs for the M5. so i gotta get coilovers but those should be better anyway since i can lower and raise the car as much as i want

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36=E39 View Post
So what happened... I'm addicted to this post i want to see more upgrades... !!!!
i got you ! i got you! Dont worry ima move as fast as possible on mods.. Ill try to break forum records

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaRay View Post
Oooook bimmer people for all yall newbies who dont know me.. Im "Lalaray" and i had a really suped up 02 540a.... Yea Really really suped up lol... but yea so after playing around with my boy who gotta M5 i realized that my car even supercharged wasn't very fast... I Couldnt even keep up with the M5 until about 110 mph It was heart breaking... So after trying to research what i could do to make my auto shift quicker and just overall be faster. I came to the conclusion that Auto's just suck... Plus riding around with that M5 kiddo i was just moved lol it just looked like so much fun ya know... soooooooooo i got rid the 540 and went on the hunt for a M5 about a week ago and i actually found one that met my needs (BLACK, 2003 and under 115,000 Miles) in a couple days.. So i went and checked the car out in person like a week ago today.. Came back home started that thread about PPI's and blah blah :lol3. Yeaaa so after all that i went back up and just got it yesterday. So far i really like the car... i need to put my lil touch into to make it more homey... but you guys should already know im not keeping it stock

Sooo without further to do i Give you my 2003 Jet Black M5...

No wait actually lets have moment of silence for my Beloved auto 540 that is in different hands now....

The 540...

Sorry if thats to many.. i know you guys came here for the M5 but the 540 was like..... my 540 ya know ? :stickoutt
and NOOOO people there is nothing on the 540 for sell, no im not parting out, No no no....People been msging me so thought i just post for everyone else to know lol..
Very clean 540i, loved the way it looked. I loved the front of that car in the first few photos you posted the stance and what not. Congrats on the M5 your going to enjoy it a lot. If you look at the one picture of your 540i beside your friends M5 yours is a bit lower, which is fine for the 540i as its a cruising car while the M5 with its stock suspension is ideal for the way it was built.

Quote:
Now i warn you... these Pics are some pure SH*t ok so dont get mad at me and comment about how Sh**ty the pics are cause i already know :lol3.. and Yea the car is covered in show..Yea its dirty... but look its cold outside and i just got it yesterday and i took these just for yall sooo bare with me..

O and ill keep this as my wittle build thread since i never had one...:stickoutt

Ok so Plans....
um well first i need to rip that shark fin off the roof....
-Then im ditching the carbon fiber grill (my boy with the ///M wants em)
-Then tomorrow i should have my new orion v4 headlights coming in.. which were $580 thanks umnitza :shifty
-Im getting ST coil overs cause this thing is like 8ft high off the ground
-Gonna put my ECS tuning 15mm spacers on all way around
-swap the gray face cluster (01-03) with my black M5 one (2000 only)
-lose that ugly sliding arm rest and put in my euro one that opens up with storage.
-Gotta install my Supersprint headers..
-Get drilled slotted rotors with akebono euro pads..
-See Mattmartin for my programming (Windows up with key, auto lock, Fancy hazard flashing :rolleyes , Code my black M cluster, key in ignition bong bong noise DELETE..
-Paint that ugly plastic trim going around the car body color..
-Im getting rid of the staggered exhaust.. and getting either magnaflow 14816 mufflers or run no mufflers and get Timmay tips... not sure yet... :dunno
a lot more sh** i got planned but yeaaaa ya get the point...
Im going to say I agree with everything you said. An additional thing is i would lose the blacked out M5 badge on the back and get an oem m5 badge for the back of the car as this one looks a little cheap. Otherwise all your suggestions/mods for the m5 sound amazing, definitely needs a darker tint, lose the front grille badge and to change the wheels. Otherwise looks clean, best of luck with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltmax View Post
You've got two really sweet looking rides. When I first saw the pictures of them side by side I thought your 540I was the M5 with the mean stance and cool M5 front bumper it certainly looks the part.

I remember my first ride in a brand new M5 in 1999, that car would accelerate, turn, and stop like nothing I've ever ridden in before or since.

Congrats and I hope you enjoy the heck out of it!
I was going to say, i thought at first yours was the M5 as well...

Quote:
Thanks everybody ! I appreciate it, and ay mike looks like were shark fin brothers ...but Really and illezt lol shushhh we need not discuss these things

But so today i swapped out them Carbon fiber grill's with the lil ///M thing

now

Then Cleaned up under the hood

Now all thats fine and dandy but there's just one thing that's really blowing me....and thats this !

In all honesty the car doesn't look that low to the ground. It might be a bit high compared to the 540i you had, but this is an M5 and you want it to handle like it should handle. I think coil overs will be amazing but will compromise ride comfort, which im sure you don't care about too much. My buddy has Bilstein coilovers on his e46 M3 and while the handling and performance is amazing, id much rather drive around in my 540i; his M3 is not a comfortable ride at all. Otherwise again I agree with you; changing the grilles looks already better, engine bay looks beautiful, and definitely need some dark tints

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ BMW View Post
I'll bite, that's the correct ride height. Lowering it so the wheels start to disappear into the arches not only looks foolish, it degrades the way the car drives on anything other than perfectly smooth pavement. It's pointless and unnecessary. Taking that money and purchasing the best possible tyres would give you better performance.
I wouldn't say it looks foolish, but il agree in the sense that it will degrade the way the car drives on anything else than pavement and it will decrease ride quality. I think the coilovers while they might be expensive will be a good choice because they can be adjustable.

Otherwise lose the wheels for now and car looks sweet already. Best of luck
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to juanchi29
Mein Auto: 2000 323ci
Inboxed regarding items for sale.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM

I own a 530i and i was pretty exited for it and satisfied.....( was satisfied) ... Now after reading , and looking at pictures .. The 530 , don't quite please me any more now i also want an M5 lol ... I was thinking on boosting the 530 but after i read of the 540 with a blower not being able to handle the M5 then i guess its time to change strategy.. Lol
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
Sun shades???
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36=E39 View Post
I own a 530i and i was pretty exited for it and satisfied.....( was satisfied) ... Now after reading , and looking at pictures .. The 530 , don't quite please me any more now i also want an M5 lol ... I was thinking on boosting the 530 but after i read of the 540 with a blower not being able to handle the M5 then i guess its time to change strategy.. Lol
No no... Its just cause it was an auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540indiana View Post
Sun shades???
Damnnn why you keep asking about shades.. it doesnt have em.... My 540 did though

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Last edited by LalaRay; 01-28-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM

Mine is auto too... So if you weren't able to pull out a good amount of power out of your 540... Now what can i expect out of my 530.. I was going to get the active autowerke supercharger... But i guess not.. Lol i want more ... Im even sarting to consider an e60 that i found in California... Or maybe the e39 m5 and just put somework on it.. Dont know yet I'm debating my options