Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: '06 750i, '01 M3 vert
nav unit harness question

Hey all! Happy new year!

I recently bought an ’06 750i. The previous owner mentioned that the navigation never worked. Upon taking a peek at the trunk unit, I found that only 2 of 3 connections to the back of the Nav unit were plugged in. The unit still loads and unloads, but the green female connection on the unit is not occupied and there is no matching male companion for it anywhere.

I assume that I should have a green harness that plugs in??? As it stands right now, my nav does not show up on i-drive nor does it show up on the i-drive “secret menu” at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've attached some photos to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks!!

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280031a.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	306941   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280030.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	306942  
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5;2002 BMW 745i
I attached a picture of my connector. That's what it should look like. I searched realoem long and hard to try and find that connector but it seems like a part you'd have to get directly from AMP (manufacturer of these plugs).

BUT

You might not even have to worry about all that because I have bad news. If you look at that orange loop plugged into the two green wires with the pink shielding on one of the wires. That connector is for the fiber optic network of the car. What probably happened is the nav unit that you have is bad, which causes the music iDrive etc. in the car not to work with a broken unit, which caused the previous owner to "jump" the bad nav unit, re-allowing the rest of the car to work. If you take that orange loop off and plug THAT connector inside of the biggest connector (the center plug receptacle on the nav unit itself) you see in the picture and reconnect everything else to the nav unit then you can give the it another try but most likely you need to buy a new navigation computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	306974  
Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
looks like the previous owner cut the green plug off !!!
you can see the cut loose wire in the 2nd pic .
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Hey, thanks for the research and the photo, Jimmy!

Regarding that fiber optic loop, so you don't have one of those? Why would that get plugged in to the biggest (center) receptacle? That black harness is intact - I just took it out of the unit for the photo.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW View Post
I attached a picture of my connector. That's what it should look like. I searched realoem long and hard to try and find that connector but it seems like a part you'd have to get directly from AMP (manufacturer of these plugs).

BUT

You might not even have to worry about all that because I have bad news. If you look at that orange loop plugged into the two green wires with the pink shielding on one of the wires. That connector is for the fiber optic network of the car. What probably happened is the nav unit that you have is bad, which causes the music iDrive etc. in the car not to work with a broken unit, which caused the previous owner to "jump" the bad nav unit, re-allowing the rest of the car to work. If you take that orange loop off and plug THAT connector inside of the biggest connector (the center plug receptacle on the nav unit itself) you see in the picture and reconnect everything else to the nav unit then you can give the it another try but most likely you need to buy a new navigation computer.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM

I did notice that cut loose wire. But is there only one wire going to everyone's green harness? That would seem like overkill...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
looks like the previous owner cut the green plug off !!!
you can see the cut loose wire in the 2nd pic .
Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Well by looking at it I could tell. One of the wires is "in" and the other is "out" and if the light isn't complete then your music doesn't work in the car so that little ring takes place of the navigation computer and allows everything else to work. What I mean is that two plug connector plugs into the male big connector. Take a look at the big connector male end and you will see a spot for the little male connector. There are actually two wires going to that missing connector of yours not one.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: M3e46
Yep... Disconnect that loop thing and connect it to navi unit. 99% you'll see why previous owner did it. Stupid electrics did not know how to loop fbr optic ring? Why did they cut the connector off??
You need a new navi unit. Btw if you want I can try to reflash it, sometimes it helps.
If you open it you'll be amazed it's a real computer with intel CPU and memory inboard

Last edited by N62b44; 01-04-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
Wow what a butcher job......... you will be fine when you restore everything back to how it should be. This really shows how some dumb people screw up good cars........ Good Luck getting it sorted, you will find all the help you need in this forum.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Ah ha! I poked around again and now see how the loop can be taken off and the fiber optic connection gets inserted into the black harness which goes to the dvd unit.

Certainly makes sense that the DVD unit is bad, but I would imagine that once I get a good one, it's just a matter of finding a proper green harness and splicing on that cut yellow/red wire. I didn't unwrap all the way, but it appears to be just one wire and not two.

N62b44, thanks for the offer but what do you mean about the reflash? Tell me more. Are you in Atlanta?

Thanks for everyone's help -- I'm getting closer!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:28 AM

bump - still got a couple of questions above before i get this issue licked.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Hi, I think the single wire you have left is the wheel speed signal, the connector is normally populated with the video signals from the TV module, if you dont have the TV then it will only have one wire in it.

Have you tried connecting it back up and see what happens? My old unit just kept resetting and dropping the MOST bus out, found out it was a dirty laser and disc, it was ok after a clean.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Thanks to all that posted. I bought a used Navi03 unit and connector yesterday locally and seemed to have made progress.

I have only driven it 15 miles since install, but the nav image keeps showing the place from which the donor car sat. The map turns correctly as I turn so there is some communication, but it is the wrong city.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks much!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 AM

I would try updating the firmware. Search for the DVD to download.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Got the latest firmware and did a hard reboot but still no dice. Anyone?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 AM

Hi, do you have GPS signal strength bars illuminated in the NAV screen with the satellite symbol.

Have you connected the VSS (vehicle speed sensor)?

Stuart
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM

Good point Stuart. I realized I do not see any signal bars for the GPS. The VSS (I presume the lone, shiny metal connection) is connected.

I've done some research and wonder if the shark fin antenna is bad...
Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 PM

The single metal connector with the black cable about 5-6mm dia is the GPS antenna connector.

The VSS signal is wired into the smallest connector on the far right of the NAV looking from the back.

Considering you have no signal would indicate an antenna issue.

Stuart
Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 AM

STILL struggling with this dern NAV...

I replaced the shark fin with a used unit and now show signal bars on the NAV screen unlike before. The map still turns correctly as I turn so there is some communication, but the location stays put. In other words, the map indicates I am turning and turning in my own driveway as I drive.

The VSS is indeed plugged in but I wonder if that signal could be faulty. What role does the Vehicle Speed Signal wire play in my NAVI03?

Also have the latest firmware and did a hard reboot but still no dice.

Anyone have any advice?

MUCH appreciated...