Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xDrive
Bluetooth / iPhone solution advisement for non-iDrive Bimmer

I know, I searched already ... this is a confusing topic given the various options and how they affect BT and iPhone usage (iDrive, Assist, etc.)

Need advice on what makes sense, not just what is possible.

I have: a beautiful 2009 328xi which I just drove home yesterday. I've been staring at in in my garage all night, waiting for dawn to drive it again.
  • No iDrive
  • No BMW Assist
  • No bluetooth (consequence of the above 2 bullets)
  • an iPhone 5 (yes, I'm one of you: an Apple+BMW fanboy)
  • a Motorola T505 BT speakerphone which I use in my old 2001.5 Passat that works great: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bluet.../dp/B0030BZ7HM

I want (and I haven't yet formed a perfect mental model of these wants):
  • to be able to take calls hands-free (duh)
  • to have copious music at my fingertips, with radio integration (controls and display)
  • to be able to listen to streamed music sources like Spotify and Pandora from my phone over LTE (I have a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan - don't hate )
Things I've been considering
  • the infamous Y-cable:
  • pros: great solution for playing stored and streaming music
  • cons: leaves the possibility of a bluetooth speaker off the table since the phone audio is tied up
  • USB stick for stored music:
  • pros: awesome integration with the radio and steering wheel controls, cheap solution for LOTS of musinc with a 64GB stick
  • cons: ties up USB port for charging phone - have to use 12V with an adapter
  • Just using that Motorola T505 that I used for my Passat
  • pros: it wasn't bad - the quality of music was quite surprising! Supports A2DP
  • cons: no radio/control integration - have to use the phone interface itself. Sound quality is good for bluetooth, but cannot compete with copper wire.
Thoughts?
Ads by Google
Old 02-10-2013, 03:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xDrive
Tired of this topic?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM
New Obsession

Mein Auto: 2004 325xit
I am in the same boat been reading posts constantly and can't make a decision. I'm thinking Dice Mediabridge but not sure.

Then in the back of my mind I'm thinking go full blown Nav/w Bluetooth iPod etc...haha
Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Same situation here. I just ordered a Parrot Minikit Neo to be paired with my iphone 5. I hope the speaker is loud enough. Only way i see to get BT in the speakers of the car is with an aux in/bt device or an fm transmitter. I hate both these ideas cause you will need to switch the source. ugghh
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328xi coupe
I'm in the same boat with a great 2010 328i. Love to see if there is a solution.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Hi guys,

If you send us your VIN and location by email we might be able to offer you some OEM solutions.
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on