DIY help request F02 rear seat armrest
In trying to replace 5220722864 cupholder assembly, can anyone help on procedure to remove box/tray liner (#4 in first photo)?
Called a few independent shops and a dealer. The general consensus was two hours of labor, with the dealer coming in at the top rate of $150/hr. I tried one of the recommended independents but changed my mind when the mechanic sat in the rear seat with a couple screw drivers and a greasy shop rag.
I've owned this F02 for about a month, my first BMW. Everything I know about BMW and this car fits nicely in a tire's valve stem cap.
The mechanic who graciously agrees to help, on Saturday his day off, uses the BMW system to look up the F02 using the last seven digits of the VIN, identifies the options, and gets a description set with an iDrive control in the rear armrest. He repeats this a couple different ways but never gets a different result. This is consistent with what I found at RealOEM: only two armrest diagrams, "Basis" (picture with my original post) or "Multifunction" with iDrive. Neither of them reflect my rear seat armrest.
Undaunted, the mechanic presses on. He heads for the rear seat with a couple upholstery pry tools, some tape, and a flashlight. He tapes off the armrest surface near the trim, pries up the silver trim that runs the width of the armrest, and removes the button/latch assembly.
Two screws are revealed which, when removed, allow the box liner to come free at the front end. We can't figure out how to release the box liner at the rear end, so I hold the liner up while he slips his hand in with a small screw driver ratchet to remove the two screws securing the cup holder assembly. He slides out the cup holder tray, grasps it, and pulls out the entire assembly (drawer and housing).
The leather cup holder face releases relatively easily and he snaps it on to the new drawer, testing for smooth movement and expected slide behavior. He slides the new unit in, reaches in to secure the two screws in the bottom center of the arm rest box, replaces the box liner and secures it with two screws, and reconstructs the button/latch assembly. All that's left is to remove the protective tape and wrangle the silver trim piece down so it seats securely.
The entire project took less than an hour, including time invested searching unsuccessfully for accurate documentation. The actual cup holder assembly was replaced in about 30 minutes.
Through this forum I continue to learn about the car and have been connected with some invaluable knowledge sources. Thanks to those with patience and knowledge who help clueless DIY lost souls like me.
Last edited by kstearns; 08-10-2013 at 01:04 PM.