Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Bakeremt239 Bakeremt239 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
I think my belt fell off?

2006 BMW 325i Manual Transmission

I just came back from the car wash. After pulling out I noticed the car felt back heavy, then a battery icon came up where the time is displayed, followed by a complete loss of power steering. I don't know much about cars, but it goes into drive and reverse no problem. I opened up the hood and the belt in the front appears to have come off, but appears otherwise intact. Is this just simply a matter of putting the belt back on, or could there be something else in the works? How much would this cost to fix? There is no warranty, so am I better off going to BMW or an Indy shop?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM
dannyc9997's Avatar
dannyc9997 dannyc9997 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,403
Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeremt239 View Post
2006 BMW 325i Manual Transmission

I just came back from the car wash. After pulling out I noticed the car felt back heavy, then a battery icon came up where the time is displayed, followed by a complete loss of power steering. I don't know much about cars, but it goes into drive and reverse no problem. I opened up the hood and the belt in the front appears to have come off, but appears otherwise intact. Is this just simply a matter of putting the belt back on, or could there be something else in the works? How much would this cost to fix? There is no warranty, so am I better off going to BMW or an Indy shop?
First of all, in case you did not know stop driving the car. Your running on battery power only, it will run out and leave you stranded. Also, the water pump is not running and you'll overheat the engine.

Anyways, yes it could be that it just needs a belt but that's unlikely. Something probably seized up and caused the belt to go, tensioner, water pump..who knows. Have it towed to your trusted indy

Welcome BTW
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Bakeremt239 Bakeremt239 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
I wish the welcome was under better circumstances, but thanks anyway lol. I was lucky enough to be down the block from my house when it happened and was able to throw it halfway into my driveway. Any idea how much this would cost to fix as far as labor? I think I will end up replacing the belt and all the pulleys at once, as it has 96,000 miles as it is. Parts purchased online of course.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM
TXFred TXFred is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 236
Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeremt239 View Post
I wish the welcome was under better circumstances, but thanks anyway lol. I was lucky enough to be down the block from my house when it happened and was able to throw it halfway into my driveway. Any idea how much this would cost to fix as far as labor? I think I will end up replacing the belt and all the pulleys at once, as it has 96,000 miles as it is. Parts purchased online of course.
Belts are cheap. But you may have had a tensioner fail. You won't know until you get it apart.

Frederic
__________________
Any idiot can be fast in a straight line. The corners are what separates the drivers from the commuters.

Powered by corn.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Pilgrim Pilgrim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fort Collins, CO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 475
Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
You don't need to do anything with the pulleys unless one has failed (they usually don't) - and not to be unkind, but you probably don't understand what you're suggesting. Pulleys don't come by themselves - they drive expensive components.

Get the belt back on, which should be within the capability of an automotively inclined friend, then assess the situation. If it pops off again, you do have a problem. At the very least, this is probably a good time to install a new belt. As pointed out above, the belt will have one tensioning pulley - which is spring loaded and can be moved with a tool - and it's not hard to re-thread the belt, release the load on the tensioning pulley, position the belt and let the tensioning pulley go back into place.
__________________
1983 Datsun 280ZX Turbo
2009 BMW 328iX Coupe
2007 Nissan Murano

Last edited by Pilgrim; 02-21-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Bakeremt239 Bakeremt239 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
My brother has a friend that is a fresh out of school BMW tech, hopefully I can get him to take a look at it tonight. Thanks for the replies guys, I'll keep you posted.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM
TXFred TXFred is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 236
Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
You don't need to do anything with the pulleys unless one has failed (they usually don't)
I'll disagree here. If the belt came off, and the belt itself is not damaged, then you absolutely have a problem with a pulley or tensioner. There's no other way that the belt could have come off.

Just throwing the same belt back on without finding the problem is just going to strand you a second time.

Frederic
__________________
Any idiot can be fast in a straight line. The corners are what separates the drivers from the commuters.

Powered by corn.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM
jburke4689 jburke4689 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ellicott City, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 595
Mein Auto: 2007 335i
TXFred is right. You will need a new belt and a tensioner at least. Probably an idler pulley. Cost at an indy should be around $350. DIY about $160 in parts.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM
lqaddict's Avatar
lqaddict lqaddict is online now
Salz und Pfeffer
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 925
Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeremt239 View Post
I wish the welcome was under better circumstances, but thanks anyway lol. I was lucky enough to be down the block from my house when it happened and was able to throw it halfway into my driveway. Any idea how much this would cost to fix as far as labor? I think I will end up replacing the belt and all the pulleys at once, as it has 96,000 miles as it is. Parts purchased online of course.
At this mileage I'd do the water pump and thermostat replacement as well.

Last edited by lqaddict; 02-21-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM
BashedBarrique BashedBarrique is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carmel Indiana
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 726
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I'd start by putting on a new belt. If the belt is bad it could pop off even if the pulleys and tensioners are fine. The belt is the cheapest fix and if the new one pops off then you'll know there is another problem and belts should be replaced periodically anyway so you're not wasting money.

Just a question. Your post says you have a 2006 325i w/manual transmission, but then you say "it goes into drive and reverse no problem".

Huh?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
jburke4689 jburke4689 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ellicott City, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 595
Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
I'd start by putting on a new belt. If the belt is bad it could pop off even if the pulleys and tensioners are fine. The belt is the cheapest fix and if the new one pops off then you'll know there is another problem and belts should be replaced periodically anyway so you're not wasting money.

Just a question. Your post says you have a 2006 325i w/manual transmission, but then you say "it goes into drive and reverse no problem".

Huh?
The car has 96,000 miles on it. If the tensioner and idler pulley haven't been replaced, they are due. If the belt is thrown off, there is almost always collateral damage. Don't chance it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM
BashedBarrique BashedBarrique is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carmel Indiana
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 726
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
The car has 96,000 miles on it. If the tensioner and idler pulley haven't been replaced, they are due. If the belt is thrown off, there is almost always collateral damage. Don't chance it.
Well, you could just check to see if the pulley and tensioner are OK before replacing them.

I'm a tight wad and real mechanics are more than just parts changers.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Bakeremt239 Bakeremt239 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
I'd start by putting on a new belt. If the belt is bad it could pop off even if the pulleys and tensioners are fine. The belt is the cheapest fix and if the new one pops off then you'll know there is another problem and belts should be replaced periodically anyway so you're not wasting money.

Just a question. Your post says you have a 2006 325i w/manual transmission, but then you say "it goes into drive and reverse no problem".

Huh?
Meant to say it will go in gear and drive.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 PM
BashedBarrique BashedBarrique is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carmel Indiana
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 726
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeremt239 View Post
Meant to say it will go in gear and drive.
Oh, OK.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 PM
BashedBarrique BashedBarrique is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carmel Indiana
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 726
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyc9997 View Post
... Also, the water pump is not running and you'll overheat the engine.

Anyways, yes it could be that it just needs a belt but that's unlikely. Something probably seized up and caused the belt to go, tensioner, water pump..who knows. Have it towed to your trusted indy
The E90's engine (the N52) employs an electric water pump so it won't overheat from a failed belt.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms