Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
I think my belt fell off?

2006 BMW 325i Manual Transmission

I just came back from the car wash. After pulling out I noticed the car felt back heavy, then a battery icon came up where the time is displayed, followed by a complete loss of power steering. I don't know much about cars, but it goes into drive and reverse no problem. I opened up the hood and the belt in the front appears to have come off, but appears otherwise intact. Is this just simply a matter of putting the belt back on, or could there be something else in the works? How much would this cost to fix? There is no warranty, so am I better off going to BMW or an Indy shop?
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeremt239 View Post
2006 BMW 325i Manual Transmission

I just came back from the car wash. After pulling out I noticed the car felt back heavy, then a battery icon came up where the time is displayed, followed by a complete loss of power steering. I don't know much about cars, but it goes into drive and reverse no problem. I opened up the hood and the belt in the front appears to have come off, but appears otherwise intact. Is this just simply a matter of putting the belt back on, or could there be something else in the works? How much would this cost to fix? There is no warranty, so am I better off going to BMW or an Indy shop?
First of all, in case you did not know stop driving the car. Your running on battery power only, it will run out and leave you stranded. Also, the water pump is not running and you'll overheat the engine.

Anyways, yes it could be that it just needs a belt but that's unlikely. Something probably seized up and caused the belt to go, tensioner, water pump..who knows. Have it towed to your trusted indy

Welcome BTW
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM

I wish the welcome was under better circumstances, but thanks anyway lol. I was lucky enough to be down the block from my house when it happened and was able to throw it halfway into my driveway. Any idea how much this would cost to fix as far as labor? I think I will end up replacing the belt and all the pulleys at once, as it has 96,000 miles as it is. Parts purchased online of course.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeremt239 View Post
I wish the welcome was under better circumstances, but thanks anyway lol. I was lucky enough to be down the block from my house when it happened and was able to throw it halfway into my driveway. Any idea how much this would cost to fix as far as labor? I think I will end up replacing the belt and all the pulleys at once, as it has 96,000 miles as it is. Parts purchased online of course.
Belts are cheap. But you may have had a tensioner fail. You won't know until you get it apart.

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
You don't need to do anything with the pulleys unless one has failed (they usually don't) - and not to be unkind, but you probably don't understand what you're suggesting. Pulleys don't come by themselves - they drive expensive components.

Get the belt back on, which should be within the capability of an automotively inclined friend, then assess the situation. If it pops off again, you do have a problem. At the very least, this is probably a good time to install a new belt. As pointed out above, the belt will have one tensioning pulley - which is spring loaded and can be moved with a tool - and it's not hard to re-thread the belt, release the load on the tensioning pulley, position the belt and let the tensioning pulley go back into place.

Last edited by Pilgrim; 02-21-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM

My brother has a friend that is a fresh out of school BMW tech, hopefully I can get him to take a look at it tonight. Thanks for the replies guys, I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
You don't need to do anything with the pulleys unless one has failed (they usually don't)
I'll disagree here. If the belt came off, and the belt itself is not damaged, then you absolutely have a problem with a pulley or tensioner. There's no other way that the belt could have come off.

Just throwing the same belt back on without finding the problem is just going to strand you a second time.

Frederic